It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russell Brand on MSNBC Mocking Media through intellectual comedy

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Yeah the Lib Dem guy was not someone I liked; Dropping the "Im part of security council" crap and basically giving us the party spin on everything. Horrible politician and how he is part of any security council is beyond me (if I got that right).

I still feel Brand missed a trick regarding Iran, WWIII, Apocalypse and Revelations statement by the Journalist? I was honestly intrigued at that point, it felt as though the whole agenda of the show was directed to give Brand time and air but he didnt grab it, maybe he didnt think it was the right platform, which I would agree; I just hope this Messiah Complex tour is going to live up to my expectations, doubting it now with ME and this missed opportunity.

Also, is there not a point in the deate that Brand refers to hearining something possibly through a small earphone then quickly passes over it as his own thoughts?

I was getting a "scripted feeling" Like he was either being set up or doing the setting up (maybe reading to many posts on here) but nothing much came from it.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   
It seemed like Russell was there for a purpose - as if he was the outspoken and 'alternative' option. If things are going to get worse for the masses (I believe they will) then more and more people are going to be looking elsewhere for answers and leadership. This will have been considered.

Why does Russell always speak in a clearly contrived child-like way?

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Thanks,
Looks like Russell (not he) is having fun and reminding us of our manners and to stay focused on the meaning of our lives.
Great!!

LOVE

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Just noticed this brilliant five minute clip about Bradley Manning in the related video section, which too has input from Russel Brand. Only two days old, already going nearly as viral as the original video this thread is about.

What wonderfully congruent timing; just as a Bradley Manning campaign is launched online to do what the mainstream media has been so utterly useless at doing Russel Brand goes on a mainstream media show and completely destroys the superficiality of it. A powerful combination.
edit on 21-6-2013 by ZeuZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
The mail woman in blue didn't half get blasted for her "we need to neutralise Iran because they are building a nuclear bomb" comment......I was really shocked she came out with it!

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Every time I watch American TV I am reminded of the reasons why public discourse across the entire nation has been dumbed down to primary school level.

Brand was absolutely brilliant.

edit on 21/6/13 by Sankari because: typo...

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
The mail woman in blue didn't half get blasted for her "we need to neutralise Iran because they are building a nuclear bomb" comment......I was really shocked she came out with it!

I presume this is about the recent question time episode.

Well we can get to the bottom of this one fairly quickly, from wikipedia:

Melanie Phillips (born 4 June 1951) is a British journalist, author, publisher and co-founder of EM: Melanie Phillips Electric Media. She started on the left of the political spectrum, writing for The Guardian and New Statesman. During the 1990s she moved to the right, and currently writes for the Daily Mail,

She's probably contractually obliged to spread hate and fear about some type of country in spite of the hard evidence.

The audiences moan when she parroted this same 'Iran is the root of all evil' line that has been used for years now was certainly encouraging. I think that it's a good indicator of the difference the media can have on a populace, I expect in America she may have got a cheer by people suckered in by the fear mongering media.

The Daily Mail is pretty much well known as a joke newspaper here, but has it's die hard readers, mainly older aged people.
edit on 22-6-2013 by ZeuZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ZeuZZ

I compare the mail to the sun and the daily sport, just without the boobs on page 3 (or every other page in the case of the sport).

I always strike up conversations about Iran and Israel etc with people of varying ages up here in Cumbria, and so far, the only person (so far) who thinks Iran is wrong, Israel is right and so forth isn't even British, he's from New Zealand.

I was surprised at how quiet Brand was being on question time, just the odd outburst, I thought he would have pounced on her for the comments she made, although you could tell by the expressions on his face he wanted to.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Robert Reynolds
What's all the fuss about? He didn't wipe the floor with anybody, or expose anything.

And calling him a genius? Perhaps a little over the top.

Let me try to clarify the full context of the video as some people may have missed how rude they were being to him. They were living in their own psychotic news bubble with a preconceived idea that Russel was not to be taken seriously, and Russell came and burst it.

Host: 0:00-0:05 "Ok joining us now he's a really big deal" "he is?" "I know, I am told this, I'm not very pop cultured"

Implication: Demeaning the very guest they have invited on the show in the first five seconds by implying they have never heard of him.

Host: 0:20-0:28 "he already told Brian that he might want to disrobe, I'm just saying" "I just thought I could loosen up show a little chest hair" "no I only think russel can do that"

Implication: Brand is vein and is just trying to show people his body by dressing like a camp man

Russel's response: Plays the host and the man a compliment about their appearance

Host: "the boots are fabulous put them on the table" "oo it's kinky boot time" "yeah put your feet up relax"

Implication: You are being rude by putting your feet on our prestigious news desk

Russel's response: I would not want to do that, I would not want to disrespect your program, but you are a fellow English woman so I felt obliged

Brian says: You just disrespected the table

Russel's response: It's like jenga, its like your desk is a puzzle (humorous riposte to a serious accusation)

Kat: Asks if he has a messiah complex, then says he will end up in therapy.

Brian Says he can not understand him.

Kat: Calls him by the derogatory name 'Willy brand' when he is present, and does not even admit she is referencing him.

Host: I'm going to ask a serious question. "It's never going to work"

Brand: Answers the question comcpletely seriously, putting the anchors on the back foot.

Not exactly the warmest welcome, is it? Yet Brand remains completely polite throughout.

Brand almost immediately put host Mika Brzezinski on the back foot by describing his tour as an exploration of how Malcolm X, Gandhi, Che Guevara and Jesus Christ "are significant culturally and how icons are appropriated and used to designate consciousness and meaning....they're all people that died for a cause, they're all people whose icons are used to designate meaning, perhaps not in the manner in which they intended."

Brand then poked fun at MSNBC's army of "actors" in the back of the shot who were supposedly tweeting, noting that they were merely a gimmick to create the impression that the program was a hotbed of news.

The anchors began to get visibly uncomfortable when Brand made the point that mass media was an operation in changing information "so it suits a particular agenda" and that viewers were being manipulated.

Instead of addressing Brand's point, the anchors instead obsessed about the comedian's accent and his clothing.

"You're talking about me as if I'm not here and as if I'm an extraterrestrial," responded Brand, "thank you for your casual objectification."

"I'm a little nervous," retorted Brzezinski, presumably not used to entertaining guests on her program who act like real people.

When the conversation began to break down, Brand asked , "Is this what you all do for a living?" before hijacking the broadcast to talk about Edward Snowden, the NSA spying scandal and Bradley Manning.

"Look beyond the superficial, that's the problem with current affairs, you forget about what's important, you allow the agenda to be decided by superficial information -- what am I saying -- what am I talking about -- don't think about what I'm wearing, these things are redundant, superficial -- don't be distracted," said Brand as Brzezinski physically cowered.

Brand is a close friend of David Icke and was the only celebrity of note to draw attention to the Bilderberg Group with a recent tweet, is known for broaching topics of conversation which firmly go against the establishment grain. He also follows Alex Jones on Twitter.

His Brand X show routinely features guests from the counter-culture as well as those with controversial political views.
edit on 24-6-2013 by ZeuZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Brand's on FIRE these past few months, heres a few videos.

Always been a big fan of Russell's, he should be a social speaker on news channels or morning shows more often. Visit his website too for some good reading: russellbrand.tv He talks about political/social/funny issues, well worth a visit

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeuZZ

I do see your point, but I just don't see the significance. He seems to be in an endless performance and I find it extremely difficult to take him seriously.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Seems a little bit odd that he's be granted such airtime by the MSM - doesn't it?

I think he serves a purpose, as does David Icke.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
OMG I can not believe this overview of what happened the host just gave! She really does not get it. Russell was being perfectly polite the whole way through! She says he was being aggressive
They were the ones being rude to him!

edit on 25-6-2013 by ZeuZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ZeuZZ

yeah she still looks shell shocked and may benefit from some PTSD treatment.

I watched the video the other day when first posted and you can see Russel size her up as being rude from the beginning and then he played her and them like an out of tune fiddle.

There has been a lot I don`t like from Russel like when he goes over the top, but when he`s on his best behaviour he`s refreshing to watch.
edit on 25-6-2013 by gps777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I actually feel a bit sorry for the host now. She has obviously taken it a little bit too seriously and is holding a grudge.

I expect Brand will notice this and make friends with her in person and maybe in a subsequent interview, as he meant no harm to her in person.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeuZZ
I actually feel a bit sorry for the host now. She has obviously taken it a little bit too seriously and is holding a grudge.

I expect Brand will notice this and make friends with her in person and maybe in a subsequent interview, as he meant no harm to her in person.

He really, really won't.

He'll be thinking how superior he feels after humiliating another one of the plebs beneath him.

Can I reiterate: I've met him and he's a horrible, self-obsessed, arrogant little #e who puts on a facade to fool the masses.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by PheonixReborn

He really, really won't.

He'll be thinking how superior he feels after humiliating another one of the plebs beneath him.

Can I reiterate: I've met him and he's a horrible, self-obsessed, arrogant little #e who puts on a facade to fool the masses.

I'm quite confident he will speak to her off camera and make friends with her, and they will redo this interview again some time in the distant future with them being friendly to each other. I will bet money on this that he will make this happen. Especially after he re-watches it and sees how uncomfortable he made her.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   

I'm quite confident he will speak to her off camera and make friends with her, and they will redo this interview again some time in the distant future with them being friendly to each other. I will bet money on this that he will make this happen. Especially after he re-watches it and sees how uncomfortable he made her.

You have never met the man. I have.

I used to work for the BBC as a manager and was witness to the most egotistical, self-centered, nasty, obnoxious, bullying rant I have ever heard from an artist before or since. That person was Russell Brand.

He puts on a public persona which appeals to the dim-witted.

I would have thought that people on a conspiracy site like ATS would be aware when they are being b*llsh*tt*d,

Apparently not.

Like I said... I've met him. You haven't.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by PheonixReborn
You have never met the man. I have.

I used to work for the BBC as a manager and was witness to the most egotistical, self-centered, nasty, obnoxious, bullying rant I have ever heard from an artist before or since. That person was Russell Brand.

He puts on a public persona which appeals to the dim-witted.

I would have thought that people on a conspiracy site like ATS would be aware when they are being b*llsh*tt*d,

Apparently not.

Like I said... I've met him. You haven't.

Anyone reading the thread heard you the first time, so I don`t know why you think it important to keep repeating yourself.

Are we all just supposed to rely on your judgement of another from your own perspective on what may or may not have happened?

Richard Hammond is a baby eating shape shifting reptilian dwarf under lord I saw it, if you don`t believe me your all sucked in by him, you bunch of dim witted BS swallowing idiots, I`m shocked and appalled ATS members are falling for it.

Maybe ATS members will and have come to their own opinion and not be swayed by mere hearsay and if we all did get to witness what you claim I guarantee all our opinions would vary anyway.

But hey that's just my opinion bobbing around in the sea of opinions.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
You'vr got to wonder how he got a visa to the US, he's been in a few scraped with the law in his time.

Other addicts, like Pete Doherty and Amy Winehouse, were refused entry because of their criminal past.

I can only think that most of his crimes were time spent.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join