It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Cartoon That Will Destroy America And/Or Entertain Some Children

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Originally posted by Akragon
I think these are some bountries [sic] that probably shouldn't be broken here...

IF I had a son... I would not want him watching this show...

There are some boundaries (gender roles) that you don't want to see broken. To reinforce these gender roles, you are unwilling to expose your son to a role model that crosses these traditional boundaries.

It just seems to me that someone is trying to "soften" boys... at a very early age...

Whatever do you mean? We wouldn't want them to get "soft" and act outside of their traditional gender role, would we?

Again if I had a son...

I would rather him be a boy...

Being a boy has a very specific criterion to you, doesn't it? That's called gender stereotyping. It means different things to different people though.

Though isn't it the job of a parent to guide his child to make the right choices?

Promoting this is looking to get your child's head kicked in...

You seem concerned that your child might embarrass you, or himself, by making "wrong" choices. Why is it wrong? People get picked on regardless--bullies simply find something else to pick on.

Looks like a decent cartoon... but again... they are girls, dressing like girls...

The targeted audience is likely more towards girls...

This post refers to the Powerpuff girls. Your assumption is false. This show was accessible and entertaining to males and females equally--not to mention the tired "girls dressing like girls because they're girls" argument we've seen throughout the thread.

I don't understand what happened to just being a boy or a girl! :bnghd:

What happened is there is no fixed definition of what it means to be a boy or a girl. There are only role models which boys and girls choose to emulate, or not.

its not about being gay... *facepalm*

its about boys acting like boys... Not running around in pink dresses with lipstick, and a make up bag...

Okay, it's not about being homosexual, granted. But you're still worried about boys acting effeminately because that is not a traditional role for them. You're still worried about protecting these boundaries. Does it make you uncomfortable that some people act outside their traditional gender roles? Apparently, it does.

Playing baseball, climbing trees, skateboarding... is archaic?

Im sure they can be done just as well in a pink dress...

A dress is not functional for sports
When young girls and women play baseball/softball, rest assured they're not wearing pink dresses.

Perhaps I am simply being sexist...

Something about little boys in pink dresses urks me...

Yeah, that something is gender stereotyping.

I do not object to females taking on the roles of the traditional male in society...

I do however object to a boy dressing in a pink skirt

Double standards are a heck of a thing.

Yeah, it sounds to me like you only support traditional gender roles. It makes you uncomfortable when boys or girls do not adhere to what you deem correct behavior.

And now that all is said and done, yeah, I think it looks like a pretty dumb cartoon.

edit on 19-6-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

There are some boundaries (gender roles) that you don't want to see broken. To reinforce these gender roles, you are unwilling to expose your son to a role model that crosses these traditional boundaries.

I am not a parent actually...

Whatever do you mean? We wouldn't want them to get "soft" and act outside of their traditional gender role, would we?

In a sense... no

School yards can be a tough place... and children can be down right mean to others...

Being a boy has a very specific criterion to you, doesn't it? That's called a gender role. It means different things to different people though.

I think there are some general rules in gender roles... which shouldn't be crossed at such an early age...

but yes.... to each their own

You seem concerned that your child might embarrass you by making "wrong" choices. Why is it wrong?

Again... no kids here...

I suppose it would be an inherent need to protect my child if he/she existed...

This post refers to the Powerpuff girls. Your assumption is false. This show was accessible and entertaining to males and females equally--not to mention the "girls dressing like girls because they're girls" argument we've seen throughout the thread.

Fair enough..

Okay, it's not about being homosexual, granted. But you're still worried about boys acting effeminately because that is not a traditional role for them. You're still worried about protecting these boundaries. Does it make you uncomfortable that some people act outside their traditional gender roles? Apparently, it does.

Once a child reaches a certain age he/she can act which ever way they wish...

But yes... I have an issue with boys wareing dresses... using lipstick and purses... and fighting crime using such things....

yes it would make me uncomfortable if I had a friend bring his 6-11 year old child over to my house in a dress, decked out in lipstick and blush because he wanted to emulate some cartoon.... I would not question the child... I would question the parent..

Yeah, that something is gender stereotyping.

So be it... maybe im just old...

Double standards are a heck of a thing.

Yeah, it sounds to me like you only support traditional gender roles. It makes you uncomfortable when boys or girls do not adhere to what you deem correct behavior.

I support whatever an adult chooses to do.... I do not however support boys running around in dresses... Nor would I want my son (IF he existed) running around in a bikini...

Again call me crazy... *shrug*

And now that all is said and done, yeah, I think it looks like a pretty dumb cartoon.

agreed...

edit on 19-6-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Thanks for the stimulating debate, Akragon
To each his own, and that is their right.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Just out of curiosity, why would you not want your son running around in a bikini? Not that I am encouraging the bikini wearing of the All American Male. Just curious as to why, if you have evaluated anyway

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by Akragon

Just out of curiosity, why would you not want your son running around in a bikini? Not that I am encouraging the bikini wearing of the All American Male. Just curious as to why, if you have evaluated anyway

The same reason I wouldn't want my kid running around in a dress I suppose....

I don't particularly want him in high heals or a wedding gown either...

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I asked my wife the same question. We have a gay son. I knew he was gay from around age 2, but kind of never mentioned it. It was just a thought I would have from his behaviors and demeanor. I mentioned it to her once or twice, and she was very uncomfortable hearing about it. She doesn't mind gay folks, or him being gay. It is just that she thinks that until you are pubescent you don't know if you are gay. So she just stuffed it.

In any event, he is pretty feminine. Always has been. So I thought it would ask her. She is pretty grim on the idea, too.

This is interesting, for sure.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
It's a cartoon and maybe, if anything is learned from it, it will teach tolerance towards people who identify with the opposite gender's "role" (the gender roles that are bashed into our head way more than this through the media). I see nothing wrong with tolerance and I see nothing wrong with this cartoon.
edit on 6/19/2013 by ThePawnsTheory because: fixed typo

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Dear Akragon,

I don't want people here to get the wrong idea... I have nothing wrong with gay people....

Not all transvestites are gay and most gays are not transvestites. I know many gay people who are very uncomfortable with it. As for the agenda behind it, it is much larger. It is not about gay or straight, it is about modifying your body into whatever you want. It is an acceptance of a transhumanist agenda. X-Men is another good example as is Twilight.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion
It is not about gay or straight, it is about modifying your body into whatever you want. It is an acceptance of a transhumanist agenda.

Ohhh very interesting interpretation! Star for an intriguing outside-the-box idea.

X-Men is another good example

Actually, X-Men was an allegory for the civil rights movement and later, equal rights etc. Remember? They were mutants, pariahs, and undesirables. It's just that everybody in the Marvel universe has superpowers.

edit on 19-6-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Im2keul

Originally posted by MichaelPMaccabee
reply to post by Im2keul

It is more telling that you wouldn't answer my straight forward questions and decided to call me a troll. John Lennon said it best..

Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.

Your question was answered, you are trying to argue something that may have been mis said.
It makes me no difference if anyone agrees. My kids ( boy 5yrs girl 6) and I do everything from planting flowers in the yard to riding 4wheelers. It's not about being gay or not. I have by my definition age appropriate things I will allow them to be exposed to. i.e Call of duty is not age appropriate, Little big world is, Vice city, no, get it?

No, I don't get it, as I told you, as you continue to muddy the waters instead of answering my questions directly.

Are your children exposed to male/female couples? If they are, then your children are being taught about relationships, which, if you remember, is the point you were making. If your children are being taught about male/female relationships, say your relationship with their other parent, or their grandparents, then why is it not age appropriate to also expose them to same sex relationships? If it isn't about being gay, then it must be about relationships, but if it isn't about relationships, and it isn't about being gay, then you have to explain it further.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
In all honesty I dont think this cartoon is able to turn a straight child gay or anything like that. Other than maybe having a fetish later in life but who knows haha. I've not seen the cartoon but I'm guessing he turns into a transvestite to fight criminals bad guys whatever.

Not turning into a transvestite to have homoerotic relationships.

Besides being a transvestite doesn't mean he's gay.

[

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha

reply to post by boymonkey74

Looks like a decent cartoon... but again... they are girls, dressing like girls...

This is Not a boy dressing like a girl...

I don't know, Buttercup always seemed kinda butch to me.

lol that she was! Sfy

edit on 19-6-2013 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

EDDIE!! The only bloke that got the mascara right after Dokken broke up!
Good actor in general, and so talented. But, his getup DID need a lady's touch.

Back to a nagging reality:
The main position I'm picking up so far is some resistance to a creeping "normalcy
slip"-- indicative of fabyan creep. We'll just push a little over here, and rail against
the few who actually speak up about its inappropriateness as "Old-Fashioned."

Eventually there'll be enough consensus to call the minority "Wrong", and then
"Odd", or finally "dangerous".

Many signposts with blood on them are already behind us, leading to a recurring
destination. Democracy => you got it. They didn't call it the German Democratic
Republic for nothin'..

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

yes...

I smell an agenda behind this type of programing... aimed specifically at children in an very influential time in their lives

"influential" ...

Okay. Pulling this out of my abnormal psychology textbook. The disorders involving gender and sexuality include gender identity disorder, sexual dysfunctions, paraphilia's, rape.

"I know something none of you will ever know"

"Men and women have different perspectives which can be used successfully to address life's issues."

"Everybody is born unique, but most of us die copies."

-Dr. Jayne Thomas

So is your manly men men like this:

"I couldn't chicken out. I always looked up to Pete and felt second-class to him. I felt I owed him and couldn't chicken out on the grapes. I worshiped him he was the best fighter, lover, water skier, motorcyclist I knew. Taking part in the sexual assaults made me feel equal to him… I didn't have any friends and felt like a nobody… He probably into his bike club. He made me if somebody.

"I go to a shopping center and find a victim. I'd approach her with a knife or gun and bring her to him. He drape her first and then I would… We rethought the girls together over a four-month period."

-Groth and Birnbaum

is it a stretch to say that staying so strict to gender roles in this society has put maybe the glorified emphasis on rape?that is to say that rape can have any possibility of a motive...but quite possibly the underlying pretense of trying to hard to fit into society's take on what it means to be male.

Gender identity disorder (G ID) is the extreme case of transvestite/transsexual. It's when someone's life is disrupted base on their gender identity conflict in with their anatomical gender. this can cause pretty much anything from depression and anxiety or mood disorders of any kind really, I'm sure.

"Males are often reinforced from childhood for aggressive and competitive behavior. They may learn to 'score' at all costs, whether they are on the ball field or in the bedroom." [CSU abnormal psychology in a changing world, page 391, fourth paragraph]

Also, one in 10 rapes are male rape and have nothing to do with heterosexual/homosexual relationships, stereotypes, or anything of that sort.

This is a long post. Thanks for reading.

Schmirror

PS: @[ure=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread954476/pg1#pid16556311]tanda7[/url]: yes and the other two will be house-keepers
Oh, hang on that's racism... my bad...

@Akragon: no, clearly it's about "acting" gay that you have a problem with...

@Panic2k11: "condition"ing programing has been going on for ... since TV was invented. There's a reason it's called the "boob" tube...
It doesn't take much effort, thought, or (well,) anything for that matter to watch television. It's a simple way for industry, producers, manufacturers, etc.. to feed images, sounds, ideas, views, points, topics, morals, values, identities, norms, constraints, etc... into the eyes and ears of the viewer/consumer... We're all conditioned to think and feel the way we do. It's having an OPEN MIND and a willingness to UNLEARN this conditioning (that we undergo our whole lives starting at infancy...so don't tell me the 6-11 years-old range is too young)....

@Akragon: yet you are forcing him to adhere to your view of gender roles. That's kind of like a control issue don't think?

@Im2keul: Exactly, "desensitizing"

@Akragon: You say: "my opinion that dressing a young boy like a young girl isn't something I would want my child being taught... " But the show in question is not about parent putting on address on a little boy it's about a little boy putting on address himself. Your thread is invalid.

.... and clearly an attempt at ruffling poster's feathers... *Unstar!* [drats...that unpossible]

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by schmirror

yet you are forcing him to adhere to your view of gender roles. That's kind of like a control issue don't think?

Im not forcing anything on anyone my friend... I have my opinions on this issue... People are free to agree or disagree with them...

And its not that I have a problem with "acting gay" either... This has nothing to do with being gay... Period!

Which I've reiterated over and over again...

Its about little boys running around with dresses and lipstick fighting crime...

but in retrospect it seems to be a non issue in any case... Perhaps it just tweeked me out that cartoons have taken such a turn for the worst.... but the same holds true for all TV I suppose

Thanks for your reply

Edit:

and clearly an attempt at ruffling poster's feathers... *Unstar!* [drats...that unpossible]

Ya I have a bad habbit of that.... my bad

it wasn't originally my intention but after being attacked with assumption after assumption over and over I kinda went rogue...

edit on 19-6-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Same answer as the others... Not to many children ages 6-11 watch monty Python...

This is a cartoon dedicated to children...

Maybe it just me... but I can't see anything good about this kind cartoon...

No it's not just you.

I also find the blatant silly comparisons to otherwise adult humour to be a ridiculous attempt to normalise what is absolutely a corruption of the childs innocence.

Well, next week we can have Barry Bumper, 9 year old kid who turns into an outlaw Biker to solve corrupt police crime, wearing his neck tattoos and sporting hookers on his arms.

Or Sam Skinhead, by day member of the KKK but by night, secret super nice guy saving minority families from the problems of racist white mans society.

Why not? Tolerant aren't we? Make it colourful and the kid will simply love it, darling.

-- I don't think anyone is saying it's gunna make the boys wanna wear dresses.. But that the entire subject content is tediously pointless for the age bracket. But lets just roll our eyes and go "Oh stop it you big nasty homophobes."

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Dear NarcolepticBuddha,

I see more and more media that shows humans as becoming hybrids with "special powers". The idea is not only promoted that we can modify humans using the integration of technology or by even redefining our own genetics; but, it is viewed as wonderful. People under 30 usually are the biggest proponents. If there is one thing that we should worry about more in the world it is transhumanism and gene splicing, in my humble opinion.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   

reply to post by boymonkey74

This is Not a boy dressing like a girl...

I get the impression the a lot of folk around here have Hello Kitty lunch boxes, but you won't see them admit it.

I despair.. in the rush to normalise every single thing they over look the simplest of things.. and then agrgue that it doesn't need to be even looked at, at all.

This is why the world is going down the gurgler..

It's all bugs bunny in a dress and lip stick and everyone has forgotten that he did it to trick the bad guy and not because he liked to dress in the ladies get up.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
BUt a 11 year old cannot make a finger gun at school...but he can watch this. Tsk Tsk America..

Oh, and Bugs Bunny used to shoot people

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71
BUt a 11 year old cannot make a finger gun at school...but he can watch this. Tsk Tsk America..

Oh, and Bugs Bunny used to shoot people

Well... in Bugs Bunny's defence... He used a gun most of the time...

Or a hammer... Or TNT...

not a lipstick lightsaber...

Jedi's are rolling in their graves as we speak!

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Ren and Stimpy going to corrupt us

Acid rain going to kill us.

Heard it all before.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Dear Akragon,

For what it is worth, I know you don't hate gays. You know I preach to gays and you have never said terrible things about gays to me in a forum or U2U. Hugs brother. The word the bible uses to describe homosexuality that people like to say is "abomination"; but, that is not a sincere definition as it is also the same word used for eating shellfish. The word should actually be translated something closer to icky or unappealing to witness. Something that makes others uncomfortable. You could even translate by using the word repulsive.

As for the loss of gender identification, that is a problem. The vast majority of gays view themselves as the sex that they are. The vast majority of male homosexuals view themselves as men and do not wish to become women at all. Same for lesbians. Dear friend, I will preach to anyone that comes in the church; but, the transgenders and transsexuals that show up now and again make the gay congregation feel very uncomfortable. They feel uncomfortable because changing your sex has nothing to do with "gender", it is a rejection of self. This is not true all the time, we still do have hermaphrodites, people born with bodies that are not clearly one way or the other and often that sex determination is made by parents and doctors when the baby is quite young and they don't always choose right; but, we could always do the genetic tests that we can now. As for sex change operations, the rate of suicide is incredibly high for them because even after the operations, they are still them.

I have an observation and we can agree to disagree if it comes to that. Men like to fight, men like to be men. We are showing off for women, we like to show that we are strong and can take care of ourselves and protect women. The dynamic is different for gay men, they have to convince each other that they are not competing to be the most dangerous, they have to show that they will not attack and want to have an intimate relationship. If you want to find gay men (and I do not think you are), go to a gym. They work on their bodies to show strength and than act silly and gentle to attract others. They want to be men; but, want to be with other men in a different way.

Something that is says in the bible is that men should not try and be women and women should not try and be men. The truth is just about all homosexuals are quite happy being the sex they are. Why do I mention this. I mention it because I think what we all find scary is the idea of changing our basic human nature. I truly believe that is what you meant and you know what, I agree with that. I am horrified at the idea of us perverting our basic DNA or humanity to become our own Gods and creating our own bodies. Peace dear friend.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join