It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Cartoon That Will Destroy America And/Or Entertain Some Children

page: 19
<< 16  17  18   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   

reply to post by Robohamster
I HIGHLY doubt a child will watch this and discover their own unforeseen cross dressing tendencies.
unless, maybe, if it's halloween.

In which case, cross dressing is not only NOT frowned upon, or shunned at all by the general public BUT in face it is encouraged and even awarded best dressed/costume/etc!!
:star:
edit on 24-6-2013 by schmirror because: 1 2 many tags...

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   
"boys will be girls and girls will be boys..."

Really people need to get over this gender binary BS. From July 1 this year the Australian government will include X as a gender marker of all Commonwealth forms.

Also--people wont see this and mimic it; I saw the cast of Rocky Horror swimming in their corsets at the end of the film--no way I'll be going swimming in anything steel-boned!

AND on that note, to those who say they would not let their kids watch this for fear it will give them trans* tenancies: I was never allowed to watch Rocky Horror as a kid because my mother thought it promoted sexual deviancy! The end result of that is she has a daughter she has never met!.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Robohamster

Originally posted by Darth_Prime
reply to post by Akragon

Well i am living for anything Alice in Wonderland so your avatar is fierce!

indeed, Girls can go to school in 'Boy Clothes' or 'Pants' yet a boy couldn't go to school in 'Female Clothes' or Dress, so another question would be why are Gender lines easily crossed by females at a more acceptable rate?

where do kids learn? Media,Society,Family, kids are smart, and are getting more savvy at an early age, indeed 'Media' and 'Television' has a lot to do with it, if a child sees a commercial daily about a toy, played by girls, advertised by girls, with 'pink' and 'lavender' colours etc, he will relate it to 'Girl things'

indeed this cartoon may influence, but it also may be an opportunity to teach a child about differences and tolerance

what age is appropriate? i believe Kids mature at various ages, that would depend on the child, and the parent i don't believe we can put a definitive 'Age' on when

As a child, I grew up wearing boys clothing. (I'm female.) My reasoning? Girls clothing was too tight and uncomfortable. The sleeves too short on the shirts, they made my armpits sweat more than they should have and the bottoms of the shirts too short. The dresses my mother put me in were itchy. My choices weren't based on anything media related. It was all comfort related.

It just leads me to believe we should let kids be kids and stop trying to mold them into what society deems as acceptable.

Kids are usually tolerant by nature. It's what we teach them and what they are exposed to by society that makes them intolerant. Society, in it's current state, is poison. Hopefully this can be turned into a positive opportunity, as you've stated.

Yes Girl!

the more society perverts and divides, the more our future generations will continue the trend,

and as others have mentioned, you don't have to allow your child to watch it, but you can't impede someones freedom by attempting to regulate what can and can't be allowed of disallowed

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   

It just leads me to believe we should let kids be kids and stop trying to mold them into what society deems as acceptable.

Kids are usually tolerant by nature. It's what we teach them and what they are exposed to by society that makes them intolerant. Society, in it's current state, is poison. Hopefully this can be turned into a positive opportunity, as you've stated.

THIS!

We need to let kids be kids. They will sort things out for themselves. Unfortunately intolerance breeds intolerance - a vicious cycle indeed. Do I let my kids do whatever? No. We have rules in our house. But when it comes to self expression we usually let loose of the reigns.
edit on 6/24/2013 by Terrormaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
IMHO we need more trans* people to come out and identify themselves, and be happy with who they want to be. I hope this cartoon does encourage kids to not think trans* is "sexually deviant". About 30% of trans* people dont make it to the age of 30, suicide being one of the major causes of death to this demographic; To everyone opposed to this cartoon I ask: Would you want to see your child suicide because they cant come to terms with the gender binary you have instilled unto them?

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

Originally posted by tinhattribunal
'member this?

Ya... it was a good show...

Again, just a little different... I highly doubt many children watched that show

edit on 19-6-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

I actually watched this in reruns a bit when I was a kid.

I was also a huge fan of Kids In The Hall.

Really, there have been quite a lot of mainstream movies and television shows that have included cross-dressing as part of their storyline. Yes, even including some cartoons, like bugs bunny.

However, to be fair, i do see a difference between that stuff and this (potentially). To the best of my recollection, most of the story lines that included this, used the cross dressing as a plot device-- and 99.999 times out of 100 it was a comedic one. (Oh, look at the silly person dressing as the opposite gender and how embarrassing that is....)

Most of these characters were not going through legitimate gender identity issues.

I have somewhat mixed feelings about this. I don't necessarily oppose it, though I do think it needs to be acknowledged that kids do emulate characters they admire. and such characters and shows can definitely have some type of influence. However, I don't believe that any child will be "turned gay" or "turned transsexual" simply by watching something like this... although I'm certain some people might worry this is the case...

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
It's not only USA problem I have seen everywhere children always inspired by super hero and take wrong decision. Event Planning.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I can definitely appreciate that...

Though isn't it the job of a parent to guide his child to make the right choices?

I know bullying is horribly wrong... but its a fact of life...

Promoting this is looking to get your child's head kicked in... In my humble opinion...

I half agree with that, back in my time (Im only 31 is) that type of behaviour would get a child in trouble with the student pop. Now though, these things are tollerated, I like to think we moved on from all that, but who knows?

I say support your children, and if you dont like the cartoon dont let them watch it. Any good parent would research anything that their kid would watch any how. I know I would. So its a choice, and I like to have choices, not have choices taken away.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by iwilliam
I have somewhat mixed feelings about this. I don't necessarily oppose it, though I do think it needs to be acknowledged that kids do emulate characters they admire. and such characters and shows can definitely have some type of influence. However, I don't believe that any child will be "turned gay" or "turned transsexual" simply by watching something like this... although I'm certain some people might worry this is the case...

I'd be more worried about kids thinking they could turn into superheroes.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

Again if I had a son... I would not want him running around at the age of six with a lipstick lightsabre... in stockings and a cape... pretending he was a female superhero...

I would rather him be a boy... am I weird for thinking this?

When my girlfriend was young her favorite superhero was the Flash and Aquaman (yes I know how lame everyone thinks he is). As such she used to dress up as and imitate them, even though they were the opposite gender, and nobody thought anything of it. How is this any different? Other than the fact that the superhero in question is not even really a girl, but a boy pretending to be. If you had a daughter that liked to dressup as spiderman and run around would you be as upset?

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

I do have children, and a million times THIS.

I want my kids to be happy and well adjusted. I don't care what they wear or whether or not they are cis, gay, transgendered, asexual or bisexual.

People who get hung up on these kinds of labels are evolutionary dead weight IMO, and this is their last hurrah. Better luck next incarnation, I say.

posted on Jun, 29 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0zzymand0s
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

I do have children, and a million times THIS.

I want my kids to be happy and well adjusted. I don't care what they wear or whether or not they are cis, gay, transgendered, asexual or bisexual.

People who get hung up on these kinds of labels are evolutionary dead weight IMO, and this is their last hurrah. Better luck next incarnation, I say.

^^ love that. I have 1 parent like that; My Dad. My mom wants nothing to do with me... life does not need these complexities. Reading that makes me smile; Almost cry...

top topics

<< 16  17  18   >>

join