It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We'll be uploading our entire MINDS to computers by 2045 Google expert claims

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Looks amazing but for me something will be missing, the soul.. I don't think that we human beings are just a functional brain + a body.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by marceloesp

And so what if we're? Just because we're a brain and a body doesn't mean we can't have humanity, love, compassion, humility, dignity, self-respect, altruism and so on.

I'm not afraid of admitting we're just a brain and body, but I am afraid of a suite of changes that Kurzweil thinks we're prepared for. I think he greatly overestimates himself. He's like some brawny guy that bursts into the room and says we're all ready to burn it down, regardless that it's our home.

I hope he lives a long life. I hope things are good, but I don't think it'll be exactly what he wants and will probably fall far short. How many times are people let down by reality? A lot.
edit on 19-6-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Knowing my luck instead of downloading me into a cyborg like this.

They will actually download me into this..

Btw my new book should be out soon, very much to do with the topic...It will be free.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Or even worse.........this:

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Hey thats my 2nd choice I would have great fun

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

What I'm waiting for, is being able to upload information into our brains. If they can conquer that, then there would be no need for schools as we know it. In order to apply the uploaded information, they would have to incorporate "skill" learning centers to apply the uploaded information into an applied physical skill.

edit on 19-6-2013 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

...Now you open a whole new bag of worms. Who would know what evil minds would upload information that control you like a programmed robot. What happens if you get a virus?

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   
While being terrified as I know that any device connected to the internet (including our brains) could be hacked, I would be ecstatic to have an eidectic memory. Being an information junkie for all things science, it would be incredible to have access to and remember unlimited knowledge.

At the same time, I don't know if I could make the leap because you could never know for sure that you would retain your own consciousness.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

Well, they are already working on a few different things that are geared toward moving in that direction:
Watch and Learn: Download Skills Directly to Your Brain

Study of the Day: Soon, You May Download New Skills to Your Brain

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Hey!
Thanks for those links!
I am gonna play around with this. Maybe I can use this as a short cut to mastering the guitar!

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
And only the ultra power elites will be able to access this technology... They will be able to live basically as immortals, always transferring themselves to new host bodies.

This is our destiny, to be ruled by the same handful of tyrants for hundreds/thousands of years.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Dominar

I disagree.
If we can increase our intelligence one billion fold, we would no longer need Governments.

Also, once this technology becomes available, it is inevitable people will use it. The Governments would release it freely. The benefits to society as a whole would far outweigh any nefarious ideas our leaders may have. Space exploration comes directly to mind.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Look out Matrix, here we come!

Would be able to clone/copy yourself as well then I would think.
Would only take one well trained person to make an army.
Kind of scary.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
This is your brain. This is your brain interpreted by silicon.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. I wouldn't touch that mind-upload technology up to twenty years after the first model debuts, just to make sure they get all the glitches fixed. See it looks good but who are you giving your mind to, when there are already telepathic people who don't need a computer to think and communicate? You want to give the techno-equivalent of a fry cook access to your soul? All they are playing is techno-middleman to more bio-harvestables.

There is a certain virtue in data collection science, but for making a counterfeit akashic record system on earth, and counterfeit duplicate psyches, that's too exploitable and likely a reason why some things are better left undiscovered for the success of the greater good. I'd rather use the supercomputing to create teleportation of actual physical matter instead of only mirroring the behavior of such.

It's a future, not necessarily the future that everybody gets to. I want a flying car, not a mind reading computer.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons
reply to post by cody599

What I'm waiting for, is being able to upload information into our brains. If they can conquer that, then there would be no need for schools as we know it. In order to apply the uploaded information, they would have to incorporate "skill" learning centers to apply the uploaded information into an applied physical skill.

...Now you open a whole new bag of worms. Who would know what evil minds would upload information that control you like a programmed robot. What happens if you get a virus?

"They" already can download program into bodies. They use a corkscrew light wave that can drill a program into your head in less than a minute, it's relatively painless, and that can motivate you for as long as you can't discern where you're under control. Did I just say laser beams into brains? Deal with it, don't delete it. "They" have been doing it for as long as there have been fried brains about it, and look there is even a control industry grown up around suppressing the technical glitches. So it seems Google is on the reverse engineered UFO technology train now.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
The 2045 claim may vastly overestimate the amount of time it takes to get to that point. We as human beings can only think in linear terms while technological advances are exponential. Exponential advances occur because advances in material science allow the construction of inventions that were previously impossible to build and advances in computing power allow for faster research calculations. Advances in both fields feed into each other, constantly increasing the rate of improvements.

Ray Kurzweil is a futurist that explains the power of exponential advances in technology.

"I had a prediction that we would have a world wide web with hundreds of millions of people, that that would emerge in the late 1990s. I made that in the early 80s, and people said, 'That’s ridiculous. Look, it takes the entire defense budget to tie 2,000 scientists together. There’s no way you’re going to do that.'

If a linear perspective was correct, they’d be right. But a linear perspective is not correct when it comes to information technology, and information technology is not only influencing, but encompassing, one area after another. And now most recently health and medicine, which didn’t used to be an information technology. So that’s the principal difference between my perspective and a common person’s perspective, because it’s actually hardwired in our brain to have a linear perspective."

Exponential Thinking

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Hey if it works good enough, put my mind in a probe and send me out to the stars. Provided standby and recovery are reliable enough, I should be able to take a few thousand year nap before I get to where I'm going. And it just might be the one way to see if anything else not from Earth is doing the same or along that path. Or if I get bored enough after too many millenia and run out of such curiosity, I could just fly into some planet or star and get it over with for sure.

Who else would consider such things if not limited by typical biological lifetimes?

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by apcbm4

You musta missed the exponential graph in the OP.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Thanks for bringing us this post, interesting...

Not for me though, I'm not sure why anyone would want to upload the contents of their minds to a mere computer, other than fior egotistical reasons, and some weird notion of immortality.

I'm sure some Americans will jump at the chance to sign up to this latest fad, even long before it is actually available / possible..

I'd like to think that by 2045, we will have got fed up with electronic media, and there will be a new " Luddite " movement against such technology. I won't hold my breath, though.....Judging by current trends.

You call this stuff paper ? And you write on it with...a pen ? Wow ! How retro, man ! ...and it's very cheap ?
That can't be right....can it ?

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I don't know if I would trust to be genetically engineered to be immortal. Just imagine if the government had the power to make everyone drop dead whenever they want, just make their organs stop working.

I also heard that nanobots in the future will be able to kill any disease and stop the aging process, only way you could die was to be wounded. I don't know if I would trust nanobots either unless I had complete control of them.
edit on 20-6-2013 by Evanzsayz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   
We are not our brains, and that would only mean uploading data and the AI portion of our AI body suits. Where you would be however, is still in your body operating out of it, or crossed over to the other side. We interface with these AI body suits. You are not the AI suit or the brain. In other words ,your sim wouldn't be alive.
edit on 20-6-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join