It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We'll be uploading our entire MINDS to computers by 2045 Google expert claims

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Hi Guys

According to Ray Kurzweil, director of engineering at Google we will be uploading our entire minds to computers by 2045, of course for me this wouldn't take up too much space probably about 8K

But it's an interesting idea

In just over 30 years, humans will be able to upload their entire minds to computers and become digitally immortal - an event called singularity - according to a futurist from Google. Ray Kurzweil, director of engineering at Google, also claims that the biological parts of our body will be replaced with mechanical parts and this could happen as early as 2100. Kurweil made the claims during his conference speech at the Global Futures 2045 International Congress in New York at the weekend.

He goes on to say

'Based on conservative estimates of the amount of computation you need to functionally simulate a human brain, we'll be able to expand the scope of our intelligence a billion-fold.' He referred to Moore's Law that states the power of computing doubles, on average, every two years quoting the developments from genetic sequencing and 3D printing. In Kurweil's book, The Singularity Is Near, he plots this development and journey towards singularity in a graph.

Here is the graph

And then offers us a glimpse of our possible future

'We do need a body, our intelligence is directed towards a body but it doesn't have to be this frail, biological body that is subject to all kinds of failure modes. 'But I think we'll have a choice of bodies, we'll certainly be routinely changing our parent body through virtual reality and today you can have a different body in something like Second Life, but it's just a picture on the screen. 'Research has shown that people actually begin to subjectively identify with their avatar.

So
A: Quite fascinating
B: Quite scary
and
C: Choose your avatar well

It's not the most reliable source hence using quotes, if you want to read it all you can HERE

Cody

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by cody599

This is definitively interresting. Star and flag for sharing this! Great find. I'll still be alive in that time (well, hopefully). I am not sure if our future will be darker or brighter than our present. These are tools, like any tools they can be used for betterment or for injustice.

edit on 19-6-2013 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Well its about time.
This is the ultimate destiny of humanity.
Hopefully it will be more like Robocop and less like the Borg

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I sure hope so

Maybe they can put mine in lots of little Monkey robots....then the world will be mine.
Mahahahahahahaha Mhahahahahahaha (evil laugh continues to fade).

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by cody599

I'm more concerned who gets the tech everybody? Because what if only the TPTB have such privileges while the masses have nothing?

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by starwarsisreal

Because what if only the TPTB have such privileges while the masses have nothing?

Exactly. It all depends who's gonna get access to it.

For now Google, and all its services, has been available to everybody. But who knows how the future will look.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I thought you'd already been there monkey nuts

Cody

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
My future high school yearbook pic??

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by cody599

My theme tune

The nature of Monkey is indeed irrepressible.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by swanne

Originally posted by starwarsisreal

Because what if only the TPTB have such privileges while the masses have nothing?

Exactly. It all depends who's gonna get access to it.

For now Google, and all its services, has been available to everybody. But who knows how the future will look.

I'd be more worried about how tptb could utilise this to transform our thinking

Would we maintain control of our own minds ?

Cody

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I want several avatars. A falcon would be one.

Seriously cool though. I have always maintained I will never die.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
No doubt it will be completely voluntary. Because it will work. This incessant need people have to feel accepted means that if their friends are doing it, they will do it. And if they don't, they're weird, and they won't know what their "friends" are doing. The stigma of being a social outcast will compel the ignorant to comply to the new social norm.
edit on 19-6-2013 by threewisemonkeys because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Thanks, but no thanks. It is the natural cycle for men to die. When my time comes, I prefer to die with dignity rather than continue to exist as a machine. Can a machine love? Feel joy or sorrow? Without such are we even human? Again, no thanks.

link   
Hey, that estimate is pretty close to the movie timeline on this one, isn't it?

For being a movie short of modern techno-wizardry, I thought it was pretty good. The whole core of the plot is your OP premise. The future will be an interesting place at this rate of development.

link   
reply to post by cody599

Hopefully I will be long gone before technology catches up with this sort of thing. I don't want to upload my mind into a computer or have a chosen avatar instead of a human body. I am happy with what I was born with, flaws and all, and I certainly don't want to live forever anywhere except in the memories of my loved ones.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

I'm with you littled
Imagine my inane drivel for eternity

I'd drive you cyber mad.....................eeeeeeeeeeerm madder

Cody

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
What happens if the computer that you are uploaded to crashes?

Please tell me that Microsoft isn't in on this. I can see it now. Windows Soul. YOU are the operating system.

Spyware/malware is gonna suck. Will there be "virtual M.D.s" available if you get a virus?

What would it feel like to be defragged?

Quick, move the mouse... it itches over here... ahhhh that's the spot...

Cyber sex is also going to take on a whole new meaning...

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I guess I just aee it differently than most here. I think that if humans have a purpose it is to evolve into Gods. This is the trick. Imagine your intelligence at a billion fold.

To boldly go, and all that.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
The capacity of the human brain is immense. The trick is in making people believe computers are smarter than people.

An old computer acronym: GIGO (Garbage In, Garbage Out)

A computer is only as smart as the person(s) who programmed it.

/end

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
The real question is whose minds would society want to upload?

Would their be ethical limits? For instance would you want to preserve the mind of a sex offender for ever?

How about minds of people who are just plain stupid?

Who will determine whose mind gets uploaded? What criteria would be used for selection?

<<   2  3  4 >>

join