It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stonehenge...Temple of Apollo?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Noinden

Originally posted by abeverage

Originally posted by Kantzveldt
The evidence from Britain does indicate the Metonic cycle was understood and incorporated into cultic sites during the Neolithic period, and that would involve the development of religious practise which sought to reconcile the Sun and moon in balance.

Would this be the druids? And would they have then passed this knowledge to the Greeks?

Except the Druids had nothing to do with the megalithic structures.

I wouldn't say nothing, they may not have built them but they most certainly could may have used them.

As I have been saying they were built by an older civilization that also may passed some their rituals down, but not knowing more about the Druids I cannot answer that. But Apollo and Artemis are much, much older and were most likely assimilated into the Greek Pantheon as were most of the gods.

Greeks and Romans have a history of taking the previous gods of contacted or conquered cultures gods and either creating new ones or renaming them under their pantheon of already known gods.

Thus Helios becomes Apollo. And in Rome Jupiter becomes the father of Apollo and Apollo takes on Vejovis or the shaved Jupiter...

Perhaps today is a good day to sacrifice a goat! Not unlike my birthday lol Happy Sol day!

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by spannera

Yes that's an interesting connection with the Mediteranean and the Amber. There were also found in the Orkney's some gold solar sun disks in conjunction with amber beads.

www.orkneyjar.com...

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

Actually there is no reliable evidence that the Celtic speaking tribes (and thus the Druids) of Britain used the megalithic structures. I know a lot about this subject for various reasons (including being a celtic reconstructionsist). The group that are most associated with the megalithic structures, and Stonehenge in particular, after the construction, are the Anglo Saxons, they executed at least one person there (and it was an execution not a sacrifice, hanging was reserved for criminals).

So again, no the Druids did not tell the Greeks anything about this.

The reason the "Druids" are associated with megalithic structures is because antiquarians (before scientific archaeology we had the antiquarian movement) decided that the "Celts" (and thus the Druids) were the only people advanced enough before the Romans to have built it. Its all tied to nationalism, and poor scholarship. One sees Mesopagan and Neopagan Druids still congregate at these stones today, reconstructionists like myself tend to know better

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Noinden
reply to post by abeverage

So again, no the Druids did not tell the Greeks anything about this.

Like I said I know close to nothing about the druids. So thank you for that information and I can eliminated them as possible sources and associations with Stonehenge. Can you sight some sources that expound as to why thy didn't use the site or why they are wrongly associated with the temple? This could help my research.
edit on 23-6-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Kantzveldt

I just wanted to pay my respects dear Kant - as always - and add another perspective on Artemis of Ephesus.

This thread is one of your really marvelous contributions to ATS if you wouldn't just pick the info suitable for your purpose and leave all other - even the most common views - out of it.

As abeverage likes to be schooled I suppose he should deserve the best and the latest news on his subjects - don't you think?

So the pendants on Artemis are in fact supposed to be appendages - bull testicles to be precise - and a lot of them - what ties very well in with the depiction of bulls lower down on the statue and the fertility cult at Ephesus (not shown in your pic... ).

This is the www. page of the museum at Ephesus - so they should have been visited by you. I would have done it when I would plan to "look at the background as to why they should state such, and the greater connotations." and make a thread about it. But that's only me...

> www.sacred-destinations.com...

From there:
> Both Artemis statues feature rows of intriguing protuberances, which most scholars now think are bull testicles, but were previously thought to be breasts or eggs.

And here - specially for abeverage - because I think that you knew that already...
> "The Beasts at Ephesus and the Cult of Artemis," Harvard Theological Review 106 (2013)

> www.academia.edu...

You can download the PDF there.

So - carry on with the GOOD stuff.
All the best!

A
edit on 14/11/2013 by Ansar because: I added a link for abeverage's schooling purposes.

edit on 14/11/2013 by Ansar because: spelling

edit on 14/11/2013 by Ansar because: (correction)

edit on 14/11/2013 by Ansar because: (correction)

edit on 14/11/2013 by Ansar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Ansar

Tears of Amber, pomegranates, bulls testicles, the Mother Good Seed of the Land, but none of this the latest news really...but anyway i cannot state everything at the same time, and that is also the way with Lunar Cycles.

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Mmmkay... ...if you say s.

But what IS the latest news then? Please tell us!
It's always a pleasure to learn more.
Ask abevereage - I would agree anyway.

A

posted on Nov, 15 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   

My excuses. Double post - due to slow connection I suppose?

A
edit on 15/11/2013 by Ansar because: Double post

top topics

<< 1   >>

join