It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GMOs are not only unhealthy, they are destroying livelihoods, cultures, and environments

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
For a while I've been on the fence about the GMO and corporations like Monsanto. I'm not going to give you an in-depth intellectual discourse on what GMOs mean for the future of the world--because I don't know, and I don't have the wisdom or education to venture a guess. Really, you can just watch the documentary and form your own conclusion (if you haven't already.)

I knew enough to know that GMOs aren't the smartest choice for those who are health conscious. I'm not convinced that GMOs are totally benign and benevolent miracles of science; rather, I believe it is a perversion of nature. I think corporations like Monsanto only care about lining their pockets--doesn't anybody see a conflict of interest for a company who sells the pesticide-resistant seed as well as the pesticide? Why are they allowed to monopolize agriculture in this way?

However, I was content to just buy organic and not take part in their little scheme. No longer!

After watching this documentary, I see that the GMO is not only a potential health hazard, it is a veritable juggernaut that is destroying livelihoods, cultures, and traditions of stewardship; it's a form of exploitation enacted on the farmers of the globe. The GMO seed is contaminating the environment and creating super-pests; it is a form of environmental negligence.

The documentary covers it all: GMO plants and animals, the effects on the farmers, the health concerns, and the legislation (or lack thereof, respectively) that keeps us at the mercy of these patented seeds and species.

The first 3 parts attack the heart of the issue: Part 1 is the most documentary-esque and informative, part 2 is a follow-up of current information on some of the case studies presented in part 1. Part 3 is a case study on India's failed Bt cotton crop.

Parts 4 and 5 seem to be more about listing resources and advertising other documentaries. Check them out if you're interested, although, I did not find them essential to include.

May there be a special place in hell for GMO advocates and apologists.

In addition, there is this sister documentary that goes with it.

(I promise I did a search and did not find this particular documentary posted on ATS. If I am in error, sic the mods on me and please provide the already existing thread.)

edit on 19-6-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
That's exactly why I have been against these companies for so long. It is not just about the crops themselves, but in all my digging and research, the way these companies handle themselves. (and manipulate others). To be out to make big money is one thing, but to do it at the possible expense and livelihood of millions of people is quit another.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing with us, S&F! Thanks for giving me an excuse to postpone my yard work for a bit also

I really need to dig into this a lot more, but IMO Monsatan is just out for control, money and power... trying to patent the world's food supply.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha
However, I was content to just buy organic

I meant "non-GMO"...but organic is good too

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
*book marked*
I *hate* FDA and GMOs and probably shouldn't read this thread... but I will... and when I do... haho, watch out! :x

new topics

top topics

join