It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quirky Four-Quark Quantum Monster Discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

From Discovery News:

The hunt for the Higgs boson is one of the most fundamental quests in physics history. Entire particle accelerators have been built, at least in part, to detect the elusive particle that mediates mass in the quantum world, thereby shoring up the last missing piece of the Standard Model. But don’t be fooled into thinking that just because the Higgs has been found — or, at least, something that looks like the Higgs has been found — there’s nothing left in the subatomic realm to be discovered. On the contrary.

Enter the Zc(3900) — an odd particle containing four quarks. This is the first time a four-quark particle has ever been discovered in the wild. Usually, quarks combine in groups of twos and threes creating common particles known as hadrons. Protons and neutrons are ‘everyday’ examples of three-quark hadrons (baryons); pions and kaons are ‘not-so-everyday’ examples of two-quark hadrons (a.k.a. mesons).

But the Zc(3900) seems to be a trendsetter. It appears it has gathered together four quarks — one “charm” and one “anti-charm quark,” plus one “down” and one “anti-down quark” — to create a jumbo hadron. Technically, this particle is a ‘tetraquark’ — a four-quark meson — that has until now has just been a hypothetical form of matter.

What does this mean? I haven't the foggiest idea, it's way above my pay grade. Still, I thought it interesting...and maybe the science folks can help explain the implications.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but this was posted yesterday.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by shaneslaughta
Yes it was. I'm not sure how anyone can miss it since it's the thread right before this one in the science forum:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

basically its a new type of subatomic hadron particle which form the nuclues of an atom, like protons electrons ect, this is a great discovery

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Don't feel bad smylee, it's way over my head too. When I saw "Four Quark Quantam Monster" I pictured something furry and loveable like the big, hairy blue monster from "Monsters, Inc."!

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Originally posted by shaneslaughta
Yes it was. I'm not sure how anyone can miss it since it's the thread right before this one in the science forum:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Deepest apologies. I'm alerting the mods now.

This is what happens when you post while simultaneously playing Nintendo with your son.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
maybe its part of another type of matter/antimatter element undiscovered but present. It seems doing these experiments situations under certain circumstances are mimicked in the labs and so perhaps the labs are detecting another form of matter not fully understood MORE advanced collider machines with energy input produce better details (maybe build in safe space zones do to energy needed from STAR direct and RISK in accessing high powered new particle compounds that may related to better understandings of OBJECTIVE reality UN,IVERSE energy containment device w/ scientific evidence.

IT IS GREAT however to see that the colliders are presenting more information for scientist to expand their current horizons to share with the planet. Keep up the good work
and thanks for no MBH directs posures

NAMASTE*******

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Please add your comments to the original thread here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closed.

join