It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finally making some headway on the wall murals (pics now)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I'll edit the title once I have some pics (and I'll add them to this thread/post). I'll take an in-progress pic within the next couple of days.

For those who don't know, my wife and I are part-time muralists (when we get a gig). We're in the process of doing some in our own home for a change, now that we have one.

Our first two are in progress.

Living Room - We are painting the walls to look as if they are the stone walls of a castle, since we have a very medieval Nerdvana theme going on in there.

Dining Room - We are painting one wall to have a scroll map of the Game of Thrones world. The theme of the room is an olde worlde theme, so we have a large globe mini bar, framed maps, etc. on the wall. We wanted to paint a map on the wall (originally Earth), but then decided to do a map of a place that you'd have to think about for a sec, to get what it is really a map of (kind of a nerd test, hehe...)

Other Room Murals/Faux Painting

Stepson's Bedroom - We already painted a Misfits (band) skull logo on the wall, so I'll put up a pic of that very soon. We'll be adding a Nightmare Before Christmas hill scene with the moon over his bed.

Our Bedroom - We are doing a full Egyptian tomb motif with the figures, hieroglyphics, etc. on the walls

Master Bathroom (In Progress) - We are doing an animal print motif, so a stripe of leopard spots and a stripe of zebra stripes, along with pics of lions, etc.

Guest Bathroom (Completed) - Oriental theme, will post pics of this soon too.

Ranch hand's Room - Painting scenes of landscape castles

Mostly, just posting right now to remind me which pics to upload, so I'll have some up soon!

edit on 20-6-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
That is neat, I have a bunch of water paints and paint on things with the granddaughter occasionally. Mostly scenes of nature. We watch an artist on PBS around Sunday at noon and get fired up, then painting is easy. Happy little clouds accentuate our pictures. Funny thing is that if we don't watch his video...we can't paint. It is like his hypnotic voice gets us in the right mood.

I've been thinking that we should go and paint the side of my building with nature pictures. It's all together different when painting cement block.
edit on 19-6-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Pics or it Doesn’t exist

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Must be Bob Ross! You know he used to be in the military, and have to yell at recruits all the time, so when out, he vowed never to yell again. Can you imagine him yelling?

To the other, pics will be soon! (I just don't want to use up data to upload, when I can do from home without tapping into it)....

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

That's him. I can't imagine him yelling at anyone. He is so mellow on the shows that he hypnotizes you
Why did he have to yell, he could have got the soldiers to do anything he wanted with the way he instructs on the show.? Maybe he ran out of bitchiness

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Here are some pics of the completed Oriental Guest Bath.... The symbols are actually the Chinese or Japanese image for the objects near it (depending on which look we liked better for the characters, like Door, Light, etc.)

This was actually a garden trellis, that we painted to resemble a Shinto shrine (and made a good place to hang up bath robes). We put it on the linen closet door to dress it up.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
This is where I'm doing the map. This area will look like an unrolled parchment map (complete with rips and burn marks, etc.) with a world map of the Game of Thrones area of Westeros and Essos.

(In progress of course)

Here's a pic of the drawing in of the map (also in progress, this is "The Fingers" area of Westeros)

I'll add in names of key places, a compass rose, a ship, and a sea serpent in the water areas of the map. I'll post more pics as we get more of it complete.

Here's the stone castle area we're doing.

This is what it looks like once we finish the "stones" (the few on the end)

This is what it looks like before we add the shading and highlights

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Wow! Gorgeous!!! Looks like a lot of thought and work went into your home. Just beautiful!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Sweet Bathroom!

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Wow! Gorgeous!!! Looks like a lot of thought and work went into your home. Just beautiful!!!!!!

Thanks! Slowly but surely. We plan on pretty much being here until we're old and gray, so we want it to be a place we enjoy. Can only work on it during certain times though, so is slow going.

My Stepson is a big Misfits fan (music fan in general), so when we knew he was moving in, we put a Misfits skull on one of his walls.

Compare to logo

I'll get another pic that will show the size in relation to the room. Above his bed, we'll put the Nightmare Before Christmas hill scene.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Have to add..

We are totally changing that god awful tile on the floor. We're still looking for what we want to change it to. It goes down the entire hallway which winds throughout the home. Probably a black marble look if I can get her to agree. (will be easier to clean, for one).

Eventually, I'll post more pics as we complete rooms too. So far, the guest bathroom is the only one really complete. Once I paint the map, and we finish the trim, and get some new curtains up (they'll match the back of the chair in the map pic), the dining room will be done.

The living room is the next on the list to complete. That should give some a chuckle, especially when you see the mannequins with our armor on them
Only true geeks have matching his and her armor, of course...
(and lots of swords/shields hanging up, etc.) The living room is just a matter of finishing the painting (and getting the same curtains as in the dining room).

(us in our armor)

edit on 21-6-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
What an awesome couple you are!! Can I move in?

Let's see, I'd like my room to mimic a castle chamber...maybe a dragon flying at night as a mural on one wall, perhaps beneath the moon and over the ocean.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Just found out my stepdaughter is moving back in too, so we're getting pretty full!

Not sure what she'll want in her room. I imagine we'll be converting the scrapbooking room for her.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Oh well, I tried.

Just keep us up-dated on all your work. That must be one impressive home you have!!!

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   
well done on the asian theme.

the castle blocks, though, look like cinder blocks. Did castles have mortar like brick houses do today... I thought the stones of castles were very much closer together, almost stacked.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I think you should adopt me Gaz
cos your house looks cool, you go and meet great actors and you have armour!!!
Or I could be your Butler lol.
Cool pics, great house, great dude and family.

posted on Jul, 18 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Your doing almost exactly what I want to do

Once I get my own place up in AK I am going to remodel the inside to look like a castle.
Well as much as a trailer can look like one,

but it is amazing what some paint can do no doubt.

Beautiful looking!!

I just plan on doing some wall murals and black cast iron.
Then who knows what else,
haven't gotten that far yet, is still all in my head.

Been in my head for years

edit on 18-7-2013 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by kkrattiger

the castle blocks, though, look like cinder blocks. Did castles have mortar like brick houses do today... I thought the stones of castles were very much closer together, almost stacked.

That was another way to go (more time consuming though). But, I'm going to be painting in some trim stones and stone arches too, and those will be the close stacked kind, so the contrast should work out.

posted on Aug, 19 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Just got the green light to finally do something I always wanted....build a secret door. Basically, it will be a bookshelf door that hides the hall leading to our master bathroom. Mostly, it just gives us a place to put books, as we just don't have more wall space to use for it. The way the hall is built, it is just perfect for it. I'll definitely post pics as we work on it. Can't start it until next month.

top topics

join