It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Improving schools is now a racist act?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by preezy120

Of your three options, Alabama is trying #1: once the school is deemed a failure, all students are allowed to leave if they wish. The Federal laws are trying to force #3.

Number 2 has been tried. It's not like these schools woke up one morning to an announcement that they are failing schools... these schools have records of performing badly for quite some time. If it were possible to fix them from within, they should be showing at least signs of improvement. The sad fact is that between the NEA and various social engineering programs, it has become impossible to fix the problems legally.

Thus my support of the Alabama Accountability Act... we tried #2, it didn't work. #3 does nothing to fix the problem, but rather maintains the status quo. #1 has not been tried... and apparently can't be tried because of #3.

If the problem lies with the students, then you would be correct in that this will simply spread the problem to other schools. But if the problem lies with administration in the schools, moving the children will fix the problem. It is even possible that moving the children will break up relationships that have become counter-productive... think back to your school days. Bullies and troublemakers always ran in groups. Break up the groups and you decrease the arrogance of the troublemakers.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

If all students are truly free to leave a la option 1, then the original point of your thread is rendered moot.

If 8 failing schools send all of their students to the remaining 12 Huntsville public schools, that effectively raises all class sizes by 2/3 of the existing student population at those schools. More students = more class space needed, more administration needed, and more teachers needed. This option requires new classrooms to be fabricated or trailers to be used to house displaced student populations at schools that are not failing, it requires hiring new administration at the existing schools to cover the influx of students, it requires new teachers being brought on to each of those schools' payrolls to support the additional student base. It is highly unlikely that the same administration and teachers from the failing schools would not be offered those new positions during the transition- teachers unions would fight to maintain their employment.

Yes, the problem (which is not exclusive to a student base that has not been properly taught the material to begin with, but extends to inefficient teachers and administration) would simply be spread throughout Huntsville resulting in lower overall pass rates on standardized tests for the remaining 12 public schools. Not to mention the fact that 8 of the schools that your tax dollars have paid for would simply be sitting around, unused, as per their intended purpose.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I don't understand the system in the US. Here a child goes into the catchment school for their area, but, they can also choose to enroll ahead of time, say by January, in another school, and meet with the managers and get moved. Children can be moved to other schools.
edit on 21-6-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   

The only way it wouldn't be racist is this, not if black children in a failing white school are able to move, but if any child in the failing school, ie be they white, asian, mexican or black even if the school is predominantly black, should be able to move. The freedom of being able to choose your school should be applied to ALL equally, no matter who is making up the predominant group in any given school. It must be UNIVERSAL.

Also, I wouldn' live where my kids were in the wrong school and if unable to would home school. If that means staring a home based business to support that , so be it.

People need to start choosing things that work for the family, doing things for the family, working at jobs that work with children, and stop being mindless cogs in the machine.

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by preezy120

If all students are truly free to leave a la option 1, then the original point of your thread is rendered moot.

You're still missing the point.

Alabama, the state government, the state education board, says any child regardless of race can leave the school for a better one.

The United States, the Federal government, the NEA, says that those children in the minority in a school cannot leave because that is defined as segregation.

There are two, 2, half-of-four, one-less-than-three governments at work here, and the problem is that they are trying to go two different ways... the Alabama way of letting parents choose hasn't been tried, and the Federal way of basing everything on skin color has not worked.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 21 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

That is exactly what Alabama passed into law: every child is able to leave if the school is failing. The Federal laws against segregation are what is causing the problem.

And I agree with your assessment, but some people simply can't afford to leave or to start a business. I hate to see children punished by forcing them to receive a poor education because their parents don't have money. Growing up, I was taught that every child was entitled to a public school education because taxes were used to pay for it. I still see the taxes coming out of my pocket, but the education is now only for the wealthy?

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

I don't understand how a school can be failing in the first place. These schools should be federally reworked to improve the way students learn. That being said, if my child was forced into a school that was failing and I couldn't afford a private school I would remove them from the school. Homeschool can be a better option in many cases, at least until things are back on track. Of course, I might also look into hiring a private tutor or enrolling the child into an after school facility that could help.

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Aqadux

The Federal government is the one who is trying to keep the schools fro having a reason to improve....

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 04:41 AM
link   

This is so beyond ridiculous! Back when the "busing" started, I was part of it. Moved to a mostly black school, instead of the one closer to where we lived, that was actually mixed, and matched the demographics. The result was that there were a handful of white kids in a black school, and we all had to worry about being bullied, instead of learning. In the sixth grade, before we moved out of state (job-related, not because of the school), there were only THREE white kids in the entire sixth grade. THREE. Can you say "targets"?

This is more of the same. Forget education; just penalize people for skin color, and force them into schools where the bulk of the kids make education impossible. Makes me sick!

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Alabama is so backwards...on everything. First of all, taxpayers should NOT be paying for children to go to private schools. We already pay property taxes so children can go to public schools. If you can't afford to send your child to private school? Sucks for you. Move to a better district or home school. I'm surprised the private sector hasn't shown up yet to open some fancy charter schools. Which for some reason do way better than public schools and are still free. No students should be moved, these school should be improved but our government is too busy pumping money into the war machine.

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Wait, if you are the last non black kid in an all black school you CAN'T leave because then the school is all black and considered segregated even though it is open to all races?

Am I reading what you said right?

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Analqueen2011

First of all, taxpayers should NOT be paying for children to go to private schools.

So it's better for taxpayers to pay for them to go to failing public schools than successful private schools? Really?

I think I like being "backward" then.... apparently it involves better schools.

reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Am I reading what you said right?

Yep, you got it exactly right.

So much for equality...

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I am sure that like most unable university regions if the university doesn't do better, or the mother and father cannot get the resources, they either have to remain silent, and cope with the university the way it is, or the educational institutions will be closed down, either way the mother and father and the learners reduce

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 23 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join