It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Journalist Michael Hastings dies in L.A. car crash (Single car crash??)

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by wulff

Bars close at 2 a.m. in California. Not that he couldn't have been partying at a private home or something, but 4:30 a.m. is pretty much the next morning.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by starviego

The engine block broke off the mounts and came completely out. That leaves an unhooked fuel line spilling gasoline all over the now exposed electrical wiring.

@ GrantedBail he was driving a Mercedes C250, they are pretty fast and they are quiet and smooth well past 100mph. He may have not realized he was going as fast as he was, could have been hot dogging his little sports cars like lots of younger guys do, or very easily could have dozed off at that time of morning and depressed the accelerator when his foot got heavy as his muscles relaxed and gravity took over. I've done it before driving too tired and nod off for a sec and woke up when the road got rough, cuz I was driving through the grass, going about 90 when I was originally going 60 before dozing off. Who knows it could have been a lot of things. One thing it wasn't was another vehicle, there was no chase car in the video of him blowing the light. Someone may have loosed a bleeder screw in his brakes tho half a turn on both screws can dump enough brake fluid to make them spongy and non responsive. Until his tox panel is back and the accident report is released can't really be sure of anything other than he lost control going really fast and paid for it in a fiery crash. The residents got lucky though he could have done some serious damage had he hit a gas main or a house and burst into flames like he did. He very easily could have ended up killing a lot of innocent people.

If I was gonna "accident" someone I wouldn't chose such a populated area full of potential witnesses and collateral damage victims. It would have been easier to snatch him, dump him in the trunk, drive to the Palasades(sp?) and knock him out and dump him and the car over a cliff. Or even make it look like a car jacking gone wrong and leave him in an intersection with some new ventilation in his chest and dump the car and burn it out.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple
reply to post by wulff

www.findlatitudeandlongitude.com...

Zoom in and go south, down where Gantzel Rd. Turns into Ironsprings. See that little "bend and yaw" in the road? Travel south on Ironsprings from U.S. 60 when you're tired or buzzed, and after 5 miles of a straight line, that sudden curve can do dangerous things. It's very easy that what happened was an accident. It doesn't help that the guy was an outspoken journalist who liked to dig up dirt on powerful people. "Accidents" like that have been happening to people like him for a long time.

www.azcentral.com...

Wow, thats pretty neat... when I came back into the valley in the early 80's, Don Bolles was still talked about. I read all I could on it at the time. If I remember, they had a pretty good idea of who did it (hit man) but nobody was charged and I also remember that the bomb was placed under the car and literally tore it to shreds but he didn't die for a few days, terribly painful death!
On the map showing Ironwood, if you look about halfway down you will notice some roads/houses to the West (no roads connect to them from Ironwood) anyway, this is off topic but that is where the house that Travis lived in and was killed by Jodi Arias! I live just Northwest of the 60/Ironwood area (due North of Travis's death house!)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by FieldCmdrCohen
reply to post by wulff

Bars close at 2 a.m. in California. Not that he couldn't have been partying at a private home or something, but 4:30 a.m. is pretty much the next morning.

I was aware of that (I was born/raised there) but it seems like a lot of my friends ended up at someones house after the bars closed to continue their fun.
Also, like the post below you stated, if it was a 'hit' it would have been a helluva lot easier to make him just disappear. Lots of places to hide bodies around there!
Or even make it look like a car-jacking/robbery gone wrong.
Common sense dictates if you wanted him dead, how would you get him to 'happen' to lose control of the car, cross the road and hit a tree?
Just too many things (high speed, etc) make this look like an accident.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Could this be related to this?

NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden has warned that the truth about the extent of surveillance carried out by US authorities would emerge, even if he was eventually silenced.
link

Michael Hastings was (is?) one of a very few journalists that had the balls and reputation to potentially tackle a topic like the Snowden/NSA story. Snowden went public through Glenn Greenwald of the Guardian but he may have leaked material also to other journalists.

Or tptb knew Hastings already had a different part of the puzzle (independently of Snowden) which if connecte'd would bring the story to a whole new level.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   
How do we know this car was going "100 mph" as everyone is quoting?

Was the Hispanic man standing there with a radar gun in his hand?

Do we have independent confirmation that this guy actually saw it?

Skepticism works two ways, folks, or at least it should.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by MichaelPMaccabee
reply to post by jimmyx

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Mercedes faces ban because coolant causes cars to explode on impact.

If you read this article, it says that Mercedes is getting banned because it REFUSES to use the coolant that explodes, even though the exploding coolant is "eco-friendly." So this journalist's car didn't have that problem.

Mercedes Benz makes the finest cars in the world. They don't hit trees and blow up, throwing the entire engine 50 yards.
edit on 20-6-2013 by Snsoc because: clarity

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by MindBodySpiritComplex

I doubt it.

Why kill the guy after the secret is already out? That doesn't achieve anything.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sankari

I doubt it.

Why kill the guy after the secret is already out? That doesn't achieve anything.

Exactly. It's whatever he was currently working on, not what he did in the past that got him into trouble.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:38 AM
link   

As I wrote: Hastings may already have been in possession of another piece of a puzzle that together with Snowdens pieces would have formed an even bigger picture.

Other possible reasons: to discourage potential whistleblowers and investigative journalists for the future

Also in case this was all just smoke and mirrors to squirrel Hastings away: for questioning and maybe to make feel Snowden responsible for Hastings fate - basically blackmailing Snowden by making others suffer for his actions.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Mr Hastings did have contact with WikiLeaks just prior to his death:

WikiLeaks just threw some gasoline onto the conspiracy fire. On Wednesday night, they Tweeted: “Michael Hastings contacted WikiLeaks lawyer Jennifer Robinson just a few hours before he died, saying that the FBI was investigating him.”

What exactly are they trying to say?

Michael Hastings was a much admired freelance journalist who covered the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and helped to bring down General Stanley McChrystal. He was tragically killed this week in a car crash in Los Angeles, after his car hit a tree. Hastings is believed to have been alone in the vehicle.

blogs.telegraph.co.uk... dered/

twitter.com...

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by wulff

Absolutely, I have wondered for years why automakers are so supposedly working on safer cars but still allow 10 to 20 gallons of gasoline to be hung on a car with two straps and a tank thickness like a coffee can!

-Thanks

Thickness of a coffee can? Obviously you have never attempted to drill into one. I have and it is nothing like a coffee can.

I just love it when people make claims and then turn and look at their rear-ends to see what just came out.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Michael Hastings was a guest on Coast to Coast AM recently (February 2nd of this year, host was John B. Wells). The interview with him begins at the 40 minute mark, for his intro a minute or two before that.

I believe I did listen to it already though I cannot recall too much of what he talked about, other than some interesting facts regarding the war in Afghanistan. Will probably listen to it again with closer attention to what he says.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Passerby video.....very accurate assessment of the total "crime scene."

That's a 'rabbi' with a garden hose uselessly attempting to extinguish the flames.

www.youtube.com...

The first video posted (above) is different and much more thorough than this one (below) that was posted earlier in the thread showing him running a light.

2 questions come to mind - was he being chased? And could he have been targeted by a drone strike?

www.youtube.com...

edit on 20-6-2013 by Valenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snsoc
How do we know this car was going "100 mph" as everyone is quoting?

Was the Hispanic man standing there with a radar gun in his hand?

Do we have independent confirmation that this guy actually saw it?

Skepticism works two ways, folks, or at least it should.

Given that there have been numerous posts that reference a traffic video of him blowing through an intersection at 100 mph, I would call that pretty decent confirmation. Better than shear conjecture and wild conclusions based on no evidence whatsoever.

I will not put anything past this administration, not assassination, not false-flag operations, nothing. But...I insist that there be some logic, some evidence before I go off the deep end claiming conspiracy when most often the simplest answer is the best, specially if the simplest answer is also the logical one. Then I absolutely require some evidence.

It is one thing to be skeptical, quite another to endlessly throw out conjecture totally unsupported by evidence and logic.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   

As I wrote: Hastings may already have been in possession of another piece of a puzzle that together with Snowdens pieces would have formed an even bigger picture.

Other possible reasons: to discourage potential whistleblowers and investigative journalists for the future

Also in case this was all just smoke and mirrors to squirrel Hastings away: for questioning and maybe to make feel Snowden responsible for Hastings fate - basically blackmailing Snowden by making others suffer for his actions.

If you want to send a message to other journalists it certainly cannot be the message of "it was an accident".

If you want to kill someone and make a statement there can be no doubt regarding cause and effect. Think about it...a well disguised assassination cloaked as an accident, reported as an accident and investigated as an accident will send a very poor message to other journalists.

As a journalist the message I would have gotten from this is not to be driving 100mph at 4:30 AM in a residential area.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Valenz

Great post! Based on the "crime scene" I would say there is no wonder it caught fire, having ejected the engine the distance it did...there would have been gasoline everywhere.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by starviego
Oddly, one of the few undamaged components seems to be the gas tank, as seen here:

That isnt a gas tank....

It is either the catalytic converter or the muffler. I suspect it is the muffler.
edit on 20-6-2013 by bbracken677 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by bbracken677
reply to post by Valenz

Great post! Based on the "crime scene" I would say there is no wonder it caught fire, having ejected the engine the distance it did...there would have been gasoline everywhere.

The government has been known to plant engines at crime scenes before - witness 9/11. If, as alleged, the car hit the palm tree at such a high rate of speed, I doubt very much that the engine would have miraculously flown out of the car - flying through the air - landing several hundred feet away in one whole distinguishable piece - i.e., to be still recognizable as an engine block.

I trust nothing about this so-called accident. My opinion is based on my knowledge of the US governments stance on the elimination of whistle-blowers. My assessment - It was a murder.

edit on 20-6-2013 by Valenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Journalist Michael Hastings dies in L.A. car crash

Wasn't there so to arrive at any kind of assumption, the situation has to speak for itself.

1. Was he a possible candidate for assassination? Yes.
He had made no small number of enemies in high places.

2. Are those most likely behind such an action, capable and willing to do so? Yes.
Not much to say here except that people in power don't often like light being shown upon them.

3. Did the high speed, one car accident happen on an Interstate or Freeway? No.
North Highland? Come on!

Assumptions are not guarantors of truth but... short of having been there up close and in-person, it's a little like jury duty; taking what is available and feeding it into the meat grinder to see what comes out the other end.

EDIT:
The story is ongoing and the evidence still coming in. Was he drunk/stoned? Did the car do a Hollywood-style explosion on impact?

The jury is still out...
edit on 20-6-2013 by redoubt because: edit

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join