It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mozilla and World Wide Web Foundation petition US government over NSA PRISM spying

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I know this is largely symbolic but today I came across a petition on my home page from Mozilla. 221,782 people have already signed it as of my last look at it. They are writing a letter to congress. Either way it makes me happy that there are grass roots movements going on. Sharing with my fellow ATS'ers..

optin.stopwatching.us...

This type of blanket data collection by the government strikes at bedrock American values of freedom and privacy. This dragnet surveillance violates the First and Fourth Amendments of the U.S. Constitution, which protect citizens' right to speak and associate anonymously, guard against unreasonable searches and seizures, and protect their right to privacy. We are calling on Congress to take immediate action to halt this surveillance and provide a full public accounting of the NSA's and the FBI's data collection programs. We call on Congress to immediately and publicly: Enact reform this Congress to Section 215 of the USA PATRIOT Act, the state secrets privilege, and the FISA Amendments Act to make clear that blanket surveillance of the Internet activity and phone records of any person residing in the U.S. is prohibited by law and that violations can be reviewed in adversarial proceedings before a public court; Create a special committee to investigate, report, and reveal to the public the extent of this domestic spying. This committee should create specific recommendations for legal and regulatory reform to end unconstitutional surveillance; Hold accountable those public officials who are found to be responsible for this unconstitutional surveillance.

Others-
www.aclu.org...
[petition link removed by staff]

Related News-
Alan Grayson to offer “Mind Your Own Business Act” to stop NSA spying
americablog.com...

Tech Giants, Liberty Groups Join Forces In Launch Of Initiative To Stop NSA Spying
personalliberty.com...

Mozilla and World Wide Web Foundation petition US government over NSA PRISM spying
www.v3.co.uk...

The Stop Watching Us petition and open letter asks Congress to issue a public report on domestic surveillance activity and enact legislation to prevent authorities from performing wide-scale surveillance and monitoring of user activity and activity logs. Backers of the group include civil rights and user privacy groups as well as the World Wide Web Foundation and Mozilla. The petition cites the recent high-profile data disclosures on NSA activities. A first leak reported on the existence of PRISM, a massive data archive that logged activity from multiple service providers including Google, Apple, Microsoft and Yahoo.

edit on Wed Jun 19 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: 15e.) Recruitment/Solicitation:i) You will not use your membership in the Websites for any type of recruitment to any causes whatsoever. You will not Post. use the chat feature, use videos, or use the private message system to disseminate advertisements, chain letters, petitions, pyramid schemes, or any kind of solicitation for political action, social action, letter campaigns, or related online and/or offline coordinated actions of any kind.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by an0nThinker

That's cool and everything, but the Govt. Stopped listening to us a long time ago. They may release a statement or something saying they are going to look into it. Some people may resign, probably with full benefits and retirement pay.

But no one will be held accountable, and they sure as he'll aren't going to stop.
edit on 18-6-2013 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I got a petition sent to my email address. I guess since my email isn't private (never was i guess) it wasn't hard to find me. I try to keep my email low key so signed up for new one where clutter would be low (just last night). It was strange to see anything in my inbox let alone something like this. Maybe google is secretly in on this petition. I didn't mind a bit but wondered about it.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

They will stop when enough of their constituents create noise and threaten to stop voting for them
This is why I say this is largely symbolic. Still a step in the right direction. Education is the only thing that will fight oppression..

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Prism.

Is this the same ?

addons.mozilla.org...

And are the doing a counter to it to fool us all?

www.guardian.co.uk...

Privacy-conscious fans of Pink Floyd may never use the internet in the same way again. A new Firefox add-on, dubbed Dark Side of the Prism, automatically plays tracks from the seminal 1973 album whenever a user visits sites, such as Google or Facebook, embroiled in the scandal over the National Security Agency's (NSA) snooping programme. For example, users visiting Guardiannews.com would not hear any beguiling psychedelic rock. But those surfing Bing, Google, Facebook or Yahoo would be served up a healthy dose of Floyd noise. The idea – according to its creator, 28-year-old developer and artist Justin Blinder – was to "create some sort of ambient notification that you are on a site that is being surveiled by the NSA."

edit on 18-6-2013 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by an0nThinker

I'll believe it when I see it.

After Obama and Romney, Gary Johnson received less than 1% of the vote. The Congress and Senate are for sale to the highest bidder or their respective parties. Nothing is going to change anytime soon.

I'm being negative, just realistic.
Sorry, but that's the way it is.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

That could be fun.

Would it be possible to create some type of misdirection mirror to make the surveillance mechanism think you are looking at something else?

Say I'm on ATS and it would show the NSA that I am looking at cat videos on YouTube. Is that even possible?

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
reply to post by kdog1982

That could be fun.

Would it be possible to create some type of misdirection mirror to make the surveillance mechanism think you are looking at something else?

Say I'm on ATS and it would show the NSA that I am looking at cat videos on YouTube. Is that even possible?

I don't know,man,maybe with a fake proxy or something?

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

I found the HTTPS everywhere.
www.eff.org...
This makes your connections to major sites encrypted (although not all), still there isn't a big slow down.
Then there is TOR. This slows down my internet too much (I'm spoiled with the 35 mbps).
www.eff.org...

Read this-
www.pcworld.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
My facebook stopped working.They are on to me with my raccoon apocalypse.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
My facebook stopped working.They are on to me with my raccoon apocalypse.

lmao

join