It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An idea for a long commute...Learn a language!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I commute an hour each way, and I'm always looking for ways to pass the time. Sometimes talk radio, sometimes an audio book....but I was trying to think of a way to be a bit more productive, and it hit me...I should work on my Spanish.

I had it for 2 years in High School, and was passable, but now out of practice. Considering where I live, it can be invaluable (plus, I'd love for others in my household to speak it well). My wife is about the same as me, but my stepson and ranch gal both took the useless French language (useless here) in school for some reason...

Anyhoo, I've heard of Rosetta Stone and Pensleur, and just wondering if anyone used any of these or other programs, and what they thought of them. I'm looking for like an mp3 version I can just play during the drive and practice.

Thanks!

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I've used Pimsleur's Japanese a bit, and felt that it was good and "stuck" easily.
However, I had little time/opportunity to speak out loud while listening, which doesn't look to be a problem for you, so it sure is a good idea, IF you actually do use the language in question (spanish) normally.

For most people, really using a new language on daily basis is essential if you'd like to become good enough.
Maybe listening to Spanish radio while not being able to actively do the course is a good addon.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

too bad you already took french, i know some really pro audio language teacher. but im guessing its just for beginners.

But your trying spanish, the best thing i suggest is to make a few spanish speaking college friends.
edit on 18-6-2013 by Tlexlapoca because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tlexlapoca
too bad you already took french,

There's probably some kind of Pimsleur or Rosetta for English, too....

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Be nice...

I did actually have a year of French in middle school. (and my French is still better than the two in my household that had it, hehe...)

There are a lot of migrant workers on farms in my area, and quite a few Spanish stores. In addition, it would enable us to better speak to Spanish customers who are still learning English well. So, I've already been getting some more practice...but I'd like something more formal as a full refresher and to go further with it.

Ideally, I'd learn additional ones too, but these language programs are some serious $$$, so maybe other ways of getting them (like used, etc.). I'd love to learn Chinese. After all, it will probably be the language my grandchildren will grow up speaking, or at least my great grandkids!

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

what exactly are you looking just for audio or are you going to use the internet aswell?

If your looking for audio, thats a little complicated to find a very outstanding audio teacher because basically alot of the audio stuff will only be good enough to teach you a few sentences but not to have a proper conversation.
Im NOT saying dont listen to audio , its perfectly fine to listen to audio while your on the road or something, just dont be dependent of it because like i said most of them are only good to teach you a few sentences.

If you ever have time to access a computer or internet that would be the best time to get language tools a learn. On the internet there are TONS of learning techniques like flashcards, images, sound, click games, memory. Those "games" will help you focus and learn words. Then their are websites like LiveMotcha or Babbel where you get to text chat and video chat with other people from all over the world to exchange languages and there are many people who are learning English and know spanish. With all of that you really dont need rossetta stone all you need to do is find the right tools and sources online and youll be good, once you get better then you can go to gatherings where people speak spanish and test your skills, thats how everyone does it

edit on 18-6-2013 by Tlexlapoca because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Tlexlapoca

Yeah, I'm looking for an all-around solution, that just has some mp3 parts to it, to do during the commute. I realize the interactivity of a computer program is ideal.

I had a semester of college Russian before too, and was practicing with a Russian programmer once, where I worked at the time, but I really suck at that one. I can read it well enough, just all of the vocab....

When I lived in the Middle East, I only learned some basic Arabic phrases (and how to swear a little bit)....so that would be great to learn, but Spanish is the most essential to my day-to-day I think.
edit on 18-6-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Yeah, search for sites like those, and there is also alternatives to babbel and livemotcha.com which are free of cost but i just forgot the names

new topics

top topics

join