It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Protests Have Begun...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Hundreds of angry Ohio residents marched through the streets of Columbus�Ohio�s Capital�this evening and stormed the Ohio State House, defying orders and arrest threats from Ohio State Troopers. "O-H-I-O ! suppressed democracy has got to go," they chanted. After troopers pushed and scuffled with people, nearly a hundred people took over the steps and entrance to the State�s giant white column capital building and refused repeated orders to disperse or face arrest. People prepared for arrests, ready to face jail�writing lawyers phone numbers on their arms, signing jail support lists and discussing non-cooperation and active resistance (linking arms, but not fighting back).
Indymedia

So far, it looks like:
Ann Arbor, MI; Austin, TX ; Amherst/Northhampton/Springfield MA; Athens OH; Asheville NC; Baltimore, MD ; Bellingham WA ; Buffalo, NY ;Boston MA ; Boulder CO ; Burlington VT ; Chicago IL ; Columbus OH; Dallas, TX; Denver, CO ; Davis CA; Eugene, OR Lansing, MI ; Ithaca, NY ; Madison, WI ; Miami FL; Missula, MT ; Mnpls/St Paul, MN ; Montpelier, VT; Nevada City CA; New York, NY; Olympia, WA ; Pittsburgh, PA ; Phoenix, AZ; Philadelphia PA ; Portland OR ; Roanoke, VA ; Red Hook , NY; Richmond, VA; San Diego, CA ; San Francisco CA ; Sacramento CA; Seattle, WA ; St. Louis MO; Syracuse NY
Tacoma WA; Toledo OH; Tuscon, AZ ; Urbana-Champaign, IL ; Washington, DC; West Lake, WA
FULL REPORT BACK COMING SOON:

AUSTIN, TX

More than 200 people gathered in Austin in front of the Texas Capitol building and then marched several miles up and down Congress Avenue. The protest was against the ongoing occupation/war in Iraq and elsewhere. It was also seemed to be a reaction in disgust that George w. Bush was awarded a second term. The protest was part of a national day of action called for against the war and the concession to George Bush.

BALTIMORE, MD.

Around 40 people marched through downtown Baltimore to voice their opposition to the results of the election, to the fraudulent and undemocratic US electoral system, and, most generally, to any kind of electoral politics whatsoever.

BUFFALO, NY
(Buffalo, NY, November 4, 2004) - - Political leaders say anger prompted vandals to target two locations in Western New York, including GOP headquarters in downtown Buffalo.Republican leaders say someone threw big rocks through the windows of the headquarters at the Statler Towers sometime during the early morning hours.The Armed Forces Recruiting Center on Sheridan Drive in Tonawanda was also vandalized. News 4 received a letter from a group early Thursday morning claiming it committed the vandalism in retaliation against the GOP agenda.

BOSTON, MA

With the partially dismantled scaffolding for Kerry�s election-night rally still dominating the steps of the library in Copley Square, Boston activists gathered there at 5:00 to vent their frustration with the outcome of the election and the state of the country in general. Although the intention was to gather in the park, the police immediately chased people away, telling them that needed to a permit, and directing them to the sidewalks across the street. Approximately 70 people gathered on the other three corners of Boylston and Dartmouth Streets. Police arrested one person, apparently because he was climbing the scaffolding left over from the Kerry rally. Many of the people I spoke to expressed their frustration with the results of the election. People also generally seemed uncertain about how the left should move forward. Nonetheless, people also clung fiercely to hope, with young one woman handing out daisies to symbolize this.

CHICAGO, IL

Wednesday evening, over one thousand angry Chicagoans gathered at Federal Plaza to protest Empire in a protest organized for the day after the elections to put forth the message that no matter who had been elected, the occupations of Iraq, Afghanistan, Palestine and Haiti would continue. The event, which is a part of the Week of Resistance that includes anti-BAFT demonstrations on Thursday and Friday, began with a permitted rally that included speakers and some performances by the Radical Cheerleaders.

San Francisco, CA

Protesters in San Francisco rallied against the re-election of George W. Bush and the continuing war in Iraq in a Wednesday evening march along Market Street and through the Mission District.

About 2,000 people participated -- many carrying the same signs and shouting chants similar to those of the anti-war protesters that flooded the city in the spring of 2003. The main protest was peaceful but boisterous.

PORTLAND, OR

PORTLAND � Protesters wearing gas masks and hoisting cardboard peace signs took to the streets of Portland, chanting "Not our president, not our war.''

The demonstrators, who numbered about 200, were met by police in riot gear, who arrived on foot, on motorcycles, on bicycles and on horseback.

SOURCE
BeyondVoting.org

Looks like the early beginnings of civil unrest, this ties in with Bush ordering 4,000 troops to Washington, DC to help with domestic security in the inauguration day ceremonies. As more and more news about the e-voting machines comes out it will fuel these protests.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 07:50 PM
link   
It's good to see people out on the streets protesting this, but will anything actually come of it?

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Who cares about voting when you can riot in the streets?

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Great work Nerdling. Thanks. ...Why isn't this on our front page here? Personally, I'm a bit tired of the mainstream regurgitation - the Bush spin is everywhere, so why does it need to dominate atsnn?

LOL. Just a bit disappointed. Had hoped to see more of what's not covered by the mainstream, and more original analysis.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   
They needed a little time to organize. Glad to see people expressing their freedom in any way they please...until the white busses pull up and hauls them off to an unknown location, i imagine the talk on the internet of camps would be the perfect location for anyone who dares protest this election.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
why do they always lay down in the streets? what does that accomplish?

anyways good for them

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   
That's awesome. I think I might know a couple of those people in the second Austin TX picture. The dreadlocks look familiar.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I'm against protesting...but I don't know how to show it

This is probably the first unified thing Americans have done since coming together after 9/11.

UPDATE : Wrong, I am totally wrong about the unification. These protest are just DIVIDING america. My bad.

[edit on 11/7/2004 by Simulacra]

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Its kind of amusing that Democrats protest against democracy? Bush won the election, they don't like the answer so they protest, how juvenile.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Parrhesia, why on earth is it good to see people out in the streets? You mean, its good that some people don't respect the democratic choice of their fellow citizens? And how would you feel about such protests if Kerry had won, and Republican supporters were out in the streets? Would you be as approving? Frankly, I think the refusal to accept the results of the election, to this extent, is irresponsible and fundamentally anti-democratic. Public policy cannot be decided by mob rule. This is the stuff of banana republics; the rest of the world expects better of the US.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Mynaeris, from the first protest listed: Their chants were "O-H-I-O ! suppressed democracy has got to go"

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlexofSkye
Parrhesia, why on earth is it good to see people out in the streets? You mean, its good that some people don't respect the democratic choice of their fellow citizens? And how would you feel about such protests if Kerry had won, and Republican supporters were out in the streets? Would you be as approving? Frankly, I think the refusal to accept the results of the election, to this extent, is irresponsible and fundamentally anti-democratic. Public policy cannot be decided by mob rule. This is the stuff of banana republics; the rest of the world expects better of the US.

I say it's good to have people out in the streets protesting what they feel to be an injustice, regardless of what position they take politically. They're exercising their freedom of speech, and I think that's a good thing! I respect your opinion, and I can see what you're saying, but regardless of their innacceptance of Bush's reelection, they have the right to protest it!

Please don't confuse me as supporting these protests because they're against Bush's re-election; that's not what it's about at all.

You also have to consider that some of these people may not just be protesting only the re-election of Bush, but a percieved injustice - such as uncounted votes, voting machine screwups, etc., which is not irresponsible and anti-democratic!

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 08:15 PM
link   
May I assume that the chant concerning "suppressed democracy" was a protest against the large number of phony voter registrations turned in by the Democrats?

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Removed duplicate post

[edit on 7/11/04 by AlexofSkye]

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I think its tragic that the Democrats are so upset at losing that they are willing to watch the country fall apart at the seams. I guess winning really is the only goal.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Well technically Bush hasn't won the election yet.

The constitution gives each state four weeks to count votes and sort the situation out. Pressure for recounts, examinations and investigation are all perfectly legal and protected at this time.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Geez, listen to some of you. If it wasn't for protests, blacks would be still be in the back of the bus. Here's a heads up. Sometimes your government does bad things, some even argue that is why we have the 2nd amendment.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mynaeris
I think its tragic that the Democrats are so upset at losing that they are willing to watch the country fall apart at the seams. I guess winning really is the only goal.

Well, this election isn't a game Mynaeris. It's obviously about more than winning. If you don't agree with what they are doing that's cool, but you don't seem to have a grasp of what they are protesting.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
People its not Un-american to proteset. Actually it would be un-american not to. Our country wasnt founded on a group of people sitting back and watching perceived injustice take place.

I wouldnt trust a person that doesnt question the government.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mynaeris
keep telling yourself this.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join