It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to travel the universe using inertia

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Emeraldous
I am also bad at physics as you can see, but if when you approach the speed of light your mass becomes infinitely large then if you slow down or "stand still" to all frame of references then will you have no mass? Does velocity give you mass?
edit on 24-6-2013 by Emeraldous because: grammar

No, you will still have mass - a phenomenon usually encountered in large particle colliders, where electron and other particles are accelerated to high percentages of the speed of light, routinely!
It's called the rest mass.

Velocity indeed gives you mass. And that mass increases exponentially, so if you would accelerate something and measure its weight very, very carefully, you might be able to deduct at which speed it is moving ABSOLUTELY!
I guess..

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ManFromEurope

Thank you, rest mass ok got it then there must be some kind of terminal velocity mass at the speed of light!
Well to add another thing I'm pondering I was thinking about the helical video which shows the sun moving at speed. Got me to thinking if we are falling down a hill of sorts. You know with the heaviest person at the front just that in our case it is the sun and its mass pulling us down the hill. What that hill may be I could only imagine!

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Emeraldous
reply to post by ManFromEurope

Thank you, rest mass ok got it then there must be some kind of terminal velocity mass at the speed of light!
Well to add another thing I'm pondering I was thinking about the helical video which shows the sun moving at speed. Got me to thinking if we are falling down a hill of sorts. You know with the heaviest person at the front just that in our case it is the sun and its mass pulling us down the hill. What that hill may be I could only imagine!

That terminal velocity mass is exactly.. infinite mass. As said by Einsteins' GRT. Of course, this means that you would need infinite energy to accelerate any mass to this speed. Which means that it is impossible to reach 100% speed of light.

The hill you are talking about is the gravitational pull of our galaxy, the milky way. In a simplified picture you would see a tow pulling the moving sun closer to the center of the milky way. In an even larger picture you would see that the milky way itself is pulled by another, bigger tow towards the gravitational center of the virgo cluster, and I really don't know if anyone found another bigger player in this all..

Mass pulls at mass. The larger and nearer, the more powerful.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManFromEurope
That terminal velocity mass is exactly.. infinite mass. As said by Einsteins' GRT. Of course, this means that you would need infinite energy to accelerate any mass to this speed. Which means that it is impossible to reach 100% speed of light.

The hill you are talking about is the gravitational pull of our galaxy, the milky way. In a simplified picture you would see a tow pulling the moving sun closer to the center of the milky way. In an even larger picture you would see that the milky way itself is pulled by another, bigger tow towards the gravitational center of the virgo cluster, and I really don't know if anyone found another bigger player in this all..

Mass pulls at mass. The larger and nearer, the more powerful.

Ok now I'm thinking about rotational velocity which must be different than our velocity. Since being on the outer rim of the galaxy we travel more distance around the center than someplace nearer the center.
I couldn't get to sleep but I got a crazy idea. Since they say the universe is expanding, could that mean that we are unraveling? Like the center of the milky way is a wet dog shaking its head exept in one direction, and the water are the arms spiraling away from the center. Do you understand?
I know you will mention red shift and blue shift but can we really tell is we are speeding to the center or unraveling from the center?
ETA: Ok looked up relationship of v = Δd / Δt, w = ΔѲ / Δt and v = rw BUT arc length is s = rѲ... isn't Δd = rΔѲ? (r is a constant). It all cancels out 1=1, help!
edit on 27-6-2013 by Emeraldous because: ETA arc length and etc

ETA2: If not, then this means that there is a change in radius at CONSTANT speed but +/-? ( Δd = Δr ΔѲ )
and the equation resolves to r = Δr
edit on 27-6-2013 by Emeraldous because: ETA2

ETA3: Unless.. lol sorry. Unless there is a double derivative in time (velocity eq.) meaning acceleration leaving r = Δr / Δt
edit on 27-6-2013 by Emeraldous because: ETA3

edit on 27-6-2013 by Emeraldous because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join