It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York man facing criminal charges for stopping vandals

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Hello

Sry if this has been posted I did not see it

A New York man was charged with endangering the welfare of four children after he caught them vandalizing his father in laws home at 9 pm Saturday night.

These kids were between the ages of 8-10 and he says he walked in on them and three of them were holding hammers.

They had done extensive damage including, 17 windows were smashed, the basement was filled with debris, the electrical fixtures were broken, the heat was turned on, and the walls were filled with holes. Paint had been spilled across the house, porcelain had been chipped off of a bathtub, and a toilet and sink were smashed to pieces

He also says the home smelled like gasoline, paint and paint thinner, and that it was a fire hazard.

He also says seeing them holding hammers prompted him to grab a hammer and lock them in a closet

“So I grab a hammer the one hammer and the other three boys got hammers, now I don’t know what to do here, I said you guys put that stuff down, what are you doing?” Daniels recalled. “Now they’re startled because now they’re caught. I was fortunate that they were in that room that had a closet, so I put them in a closet.”

So now one of the parents is saying he went to far and grabbed his kid by the throat and threatened to smash his head in and he thinks there should be more charges..

Well he says he made no threats so my question is why would anyone believe a juvenile delinquent kid who was caught red handed causing 40,000$ in damage over the grown man that caught them.

These kids did an estimated 40,000$ in damage, so how about some charges for the parents who let there 8 -10 year old kids out unsupervised at 9 pm on a Saturday night.

rt.com...

A New York man was arrested and charged for endangering the welfare of four children who allegedly broke into and vandalized his father-in-law’s home, causing property damage in excess of $40,000

The man locked the children into a closet until police arrived, and claims he made no threats to hurt them.

eta add pics wow they really destroyed this house

edit on 17-6-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-6-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Explanation:

Bad parents are also bad people.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Well, I guess the kids learned from this teachable moment. They just learned all the wrong things. They can be criminals AND be protected as victims, all without being injured themselves and at the same time!

What a world.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Not surprising. N.Y.sucks. hate this state.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
He'll get charged with a felony and the kids will get probation, IF THAT. I'm glad I no longer live in NYS, you can keep that crapola state
edit on 6/17/2013 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I don't get it. I live in a nice city, smallish and nice. I would never let 8-10 year olds out that late on any night. Put the parents in jail, give the guy here a medal for self control. He needed a lot of it!

These events describe the society quite well, It is very sick.

P

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
It's always difficult to deal with children in these types of situations, and a child with a hammer or other weapon is still very dangerous to an adult.

Regardless of the actual occurrence, the sad part is this event will have a chilling effect on adults stepping in when children do the wrong thing in public. Around public transport areas at night especially I find myself at a loss on how to deal with a person who is harassing me and under the age of 14 - 16, since it always concerns me that perhaps if I called the police they might laugh at me. :/

Note: and it doesn't really please at all that when the persons get older they *will* get a violent reaction and likely seriously hurt if they continue this way.
edit on 18-6-2013 by Pinke because: Note

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   
$40,000.00 worth of damage!! How is that NOT A FELONY? I do not care how old the kids are. Charge their parents!!

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by WP4YT
Not surprising. N.Y.sucks. hate this state.

I lived in NY for years. I call it the black hole. Once you're in it's hard to get away! LOL

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

I wouldn't be surprised if the parents had him charged so they can say, We'll drop the charges if you don't sue us. Essentially blackmailing him and leaving him with the clean up costs.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 03:45 AM
link   
The kids must have been aiming for the "Quietest Vandal In The World" title if he only heard them at 9pm and then he went straight to investigate. Or, did they cause the $40,000's worth of damage while he was stood there watching? OK, these kids were little #s, but how did they manage to gain access to his father in laws house without him hearing a thing and then make all that mess before he noticed all was not well next door?

Upon entering the home, Daniels allegedly saw four boys between the ages of 8 and 10, trashing the house and causing an estimated $40,000 in damages. He says 17 windows were smashed, the basement was filled with debris, the electrical fixtures were broken, the heat was turned on, and the walls were filled with holes. Paint had been spilled across the house, porcelain had been chipped off of a bathtub, and a toilet and sink were smashed to pieces.

Seriously - how could he have NOT heard all the racket that sort of damage would entail? Did his father in law even live in the house? Was it secured adequately enough to keep out wayward pre-teens?

As to locking all of them in a closet, what was the point of that? According to the news story, he knew whose kids they were, so it just sounds like he wanted to exercise his authority over 4 8 to 10 yr olds. What a big man!
edit on 18-6-2013 by IvanAstikov because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   
This state is going down the #ter. Thats SOP here, the police love counter charges....they thrive on it.
If i was the police, i would have told the parents to suck it up.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   

The incident took place around 9 p.m. Saturday when Jesse Daniels said he told his wife to call 911 after he heard loud noises coming from the home next door. Daniels tells ABC affiliate WHAM-TV he saw an individual striking a wall with a hammer and ran next door to find four children - ages eight and ten – doing damage to the property. Daniels said he took a hammer from one of the children and corralled them into a closet while he waited for police to arrive. He estimated the damage to his father-in-law’s property to exceed $40,000. Clyde Village Police took the children back to their parents and filed felony criminal charges of burglary in the 2nd degree and criminal mischief in the 2nd degree.

He put them in a closet, probably so he didn't beat their asses.....something the parents obliviously needed to do.

I know if it was my house i would be enraged to say the least.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

I'd be more pissed at myself for not noticing what they were doing $39,900 earlier in their vandalism endeavours. And, even if an 8 to 10 yr old - or even 4 of them - comes at me with a hammer, my thoughts would be on disarming them quickly, not "beating their asses."

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I had a problem years ago with some neighborhood teens who enjoyed shooting out my windows with a bb gun. The look on their faces when I popped through the hedge with my "multiple" bb gun was priceless. They all thought they were gonna die. I let them wonder about that for a few seconds before I took their gun and broke it. Never saw them again after that.

The parents in this case need to make restitution - or go to jail.
Those kids were far too young to be out and causing mischief at that time of night.
edit on 18-6-2013 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
I had a problem years ago with some neighborhood teens who enjoyed shooting out my windows with a bb gun. The look on their faces when I popped through the hedge with my "multiple" bb gun was priceless. They all thought they were gonna die. I let them wonder about that for a few seconds before I took their gun and broke it. Never saw them again after that.

The parents in this case need to make restitution - or go to jail.
Those kids were far too young to be out and causing mischief at that time of night.
edit on 18-6-2013 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

Thing is, if you didn't have to worry about crappy parents also owning a firearm and having a crappy attitude to go with it, you could just go over to them and try to come to some sort of compensatory arrangement, or at worst, have a good old fashioned fist fight, but the dynamic changes entirely when every adult is encouraged to own a firearm and use it to settle beefs.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

I think you hit it pretty well. I don't know how Australia is this way and I deeply hope it's a cultural thing. I mean, I hope it's better there. Here though? Too many parents have come to use the free Babysitter to raise their kids for them. Television & Internet. When old enough to get out of the house without injuring themselves in short order, it's their friends and peers who are left to help raise them with FAR too many parents, unable to find the time (cheap excuse..but that's the one given) to guide them and nurture a sense of right/wrong or consequence in life.

@ Thread

I just wanted to add something. An 8-10 year old child. Singular. Is not a threat to an adult. Even with a hammer, in my view. You may get a nasty thump and bump to nurse if they get a lucky shot in, but the outcome is not within question if the adult is healthy and able.

Several 8-10 year olds are what I've come to call a 'wolf pack', and they are extremely dangerous if they choose to be. TOO young to understand and respond to empathy, compassion or consequence...but plenty old enough to swing the hammers and commit homicide. It happens enough each year by kids just like these to never dismiss or laugh off as "just a bunch of kids". If the kids get the drop on you? You may well not survive the encounter, if they choose to be violent.

edit on 18-6-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Here in Texas those kids could have justifiably been shot and killed without much consequence given that the property damage to a homestead had occurred at night and under the law the use of deadly force is justified in order to stop the property damage. I am NOT saying this is morally correct or even practically justified given they were kids.

BEFORE YOU GUYS JUMP ON THIS HEAR ME OUT!

MY POINT is that locking them in a closet, even grabbing one of them up by the neck (if that really happened) - is entirely justified given that the use of Deadly Force is authorized by law in these circumstances in this jurisdiction - OBVIOUSLY not the same as New York!

FURTHER, given that these kids were effectively "armed" with hammers (clubs under legal definition) makes the situation for using Deadly Force even more justifiable under Texas law.

Given these were kids, it's not morally justifiable to use Deadly Force - although detaining them seems both prudent and justifiable to me. If they were assaulted as alleged, then it's likely the force used may be considered excessive. I do not in any way condone the use of force against children, and that includes parental use of force. At some point though, reason and sanity must prevail.

ganjoa

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by IvanAstikov

As to locking all of them in a closet, what was the point of that? According to the news story, he knew whose kids they were, so it just sounds like he wanted to exercise his authority over 4 8 to 10 yr olds. What a big man!

The point was to keep them at the scene until the police arrived and prove they were the ones who did the damage. If he let them leave it would be his word against theirs. The rugrats were not harmed so why are you siding against the victim? And excuse me but his property, he does have authority. People like you are the reason there are criminal children like that.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
They always tell adults that they will be in more trouble for doing anything and the kids get off, its enabling them completely, like a dark side plot as if they work for the cia or something IMO.

Also, I think a really good thing would be to actually have shown up with a camera and video'd them, so the evidence was them holding the hammers, and then sue the parents. But not touch the kdis. I'm not saying he did wrong, I am saying this is ridiculous and yet its universal even Canada.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join