It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there anything in the constitution that would allow us to get rid of them all?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I'm serious, is there? I'm NOT talking about a revolution, im just wondering or would it have to be a state by state recal/special election? and if we did that is there anything else we would need to fix? Special interists, lobbists? The current stock of them all in congress suck, and i mean all of them even my own senator and congressman,

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
They are just cogs in the machine. The real problem is the operator of said machine, and that would be special interests groups and corporations.

I mean, congress is a brothel of whores. The same logic applies, pay up or shut up.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Czulkang

The only solution I'm aware of is not a solution anyone would want to see happen. It's the most dangerous gamble we could ever make. A Constitutional Convention could be called and at such a Convention, the States would each be represented. *ALL* of the Constitution is then open, in theory, to modification and amendment. Things like Term Limits could be written in and without a Congressman having any particular say in the matter. A new provision allowing a general recall under defined conditions could also be added.

Then, the results of the Convention would go to ratification in the State Houses, as I recall the guides for this, when a 2/3 support needed to carry the changes made at the convention.

Now I don't really need to explain why the left would NEVER want to see this happen. A picture says it in a thousand words.

(2012 County-Based Election Results)

I sure wouldn't call it any slam dunk though....as tables can turn and feelings can shift either by legitimate change or fraudulent influence from either side. Our very core document and values would, for a moment. be in a free for all change environment.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Maybe we could find a bug exterminator to get rid of all the cockroaches in Washington DC. There are a lot of cockroaches in DC. I suppose I will be on some sort of list now for this comment

edit on 17-6-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Yes. The idea that the people can replace the Government at any time is a cornerstone guiding principle of the US Constitution.

Good luck implementing it, tho.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

The only solution I'm aware of is not a solution anyone would want to see happen. It's the most dangerous gamble we could ever make. A Constitutional Convention could be called and at such a Convention, the States would each be represented. *ALL* of the Constitution is then open, in theory, to modification and amendment. Things like Term Limits could be written in and without a Congressman having any particular say in the matter. A new provision allowing a general recall under defined conditions could also be added.

Then, the results of the Convention would go to ratification in the State Houses, as I recall the guides for this, when a 2/3 support needed to carry the changes made at the convention.

Now I don't really need to explain why the left would NEVER want to see this happen. A picture says it in a thousand words.

(2012 County-Based Election Results)

I sure wouldn't call it any slam dunk though....as tables can turn and feelings can shift either by legitimate change or fraudulent influence from either side. Our very core document and values would, for a moment. be in a free for all change environment.

It's time to get rid of the electoral college vote entirely and districts, and go with a pure +1 majority vote.

Even with all those red counties, Romney still would have lost.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Yeah... Right... Lets go with majority vote. The Coastal cities can elect the top office and the interior states need not even bother leaving the house on Election day. The 13 largest metro areas would have comprised the ENTIRE voting block, last election, if they'd voted in majority numbers. Make it the top 20 for the few who always stay home for some reason ...and no one else has to worry about saying they elected the wrong guy. They'll never be asked or offer an opinion which matters.

There is a real good reason the electoral college exists. Obama won by it, despite the map above ..and that's annoying. However, he earned it. Fair and square by that very same system. I share it to show the VERY clear divide and how bad an idea a Convention would be. Neither side would accept the outcome and either would grab weapons to punctuate the message. I'd bet cash on that.

Until another comes along which is better? It's the system we have which most closely gives people some voice. Otherwise? Like I said... Nov. election day is just another day. No need to go anywhere.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
Yes. The idea that the people can replace the Government at any time is a cornerstone guiding principle of the US Constitution.

Exactly where is that stated in the constitution?

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Our Founding Fathers were very smart guys, and they built the best charter for Humans to follow in a civilized society, however... they require ACTIVE participation of all of the citizenry for the system to work...
We have woefully disregarded that important piece of the puzzle and are now paying the price...
edit on 17-6-2013 by coastlinekid because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   

No.

There is also Nothing in there that prevents US from what WE did the First time and take OUR Country like we mean besuiness. That is the only way WE are going to see change.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by coastlinekid

You're 100% right. We have lost the majority control of our system because people stopped caring to bother. Folks say there is no reason to vote..it's pointless. Well, I'd argue that point real hard when it comes to state and local elections ... but national? Yeah, they're about right. We're left to choose from the choices already made for us.

As Ron Paul's people spent countless hours around the nation training average people about, those choices are made at the primary/caucus stage. That stuff the parties have convinced everyone is 'deep dark party business' we aren't allowed to see. Well.. HORSE PUCKEY! The public is 100% open to attend, participate in and TAKE OVER the Caucus meetings/elections (if they have sufficient numbers). They've just been convinced it's impossible, so no one even bothers trying outside last cycle with Paul's people...and that was started far far too late to get the numbers. . Self Fulfilling prophecies.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
2nd amendment.

2nd line.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by hellobruce

Originally posted by babybunnies

Exactly where is that stated in the constitution?

Sorry, in the Declaration of Independence, not in the Constitution. Hey, I'm Canadian, give me a bit of leeway !

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the
same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism,
it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and
to provide new Guards for their future security."

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   

The constitution was ingeniously designed to protect them.... from you.

The constitution is why TPTB have been so successful in America, an why you have had this problem growing since the start.

The bad thing about democracy are problems like this: when equality become so bad that some people are starving, the masses may decide to divide the elites wealth up to feed the poor - so the elite need a way to protect their power and wealth from the horrors of democracy. The constitution did this beautifully. Good luck trying to get your money back from the fed or bank bailouts or anything, the elite are the ones protected... by the constitution!

It is not your document, it was not written by the people for the people. It was written by them, for them.

It has been a fantastic scam though. That document fooled me for a long time.

edit on 17/6/13 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

is it possible this whole economic thing coupled with wars is a trap designed to push us to that very thing so manipulators could theoreticly take over our country?

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by truthermantwo

You mean push us toward a Constitutional Convention? That hadn't even occurred to me.......but it would be a diabolically clever plan, wouldn't it? Abuse the stuffing out of us with things like the wars, the Fed, the NSA and everything else....then some goober in the back row yells LET'S HAVE A CONVENTION AND FIX IT!....

...and generations from now people are wondering what idiots let the Goober ever say that, let alone, let anything like that happen.

You have a different way of thinking, as I've seen your posts...and it's always worth reading carefully. You may just have hit on something here. That would be an end goal to make sense of all the otherwise crazy things we see. Just push everyone to the point where we ASK for what becomes the tool of our own undoing, once and for all.

*Even Glenn Beck, of ALL people...was horrified at this concept, both when Bush had power and once Obama took it. It's too political to see any good come from such a thing right now, IMO.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by hellobruce

Article 5 of the Constitution provides for the States to call for a Constitutional convention. Be careful what you wish for. Everything can be changed as a result of a convention, we could even declare our national debt cancelled.
I wonder what China would think about that.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   

I love where you are going with this. But there is no way an organic thing like a constitutional convention would ever get any traction in such a corrupt and rigged system that currently exists...

or maybe...lol

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Hmmm, it wouldn't matter who is in power, or how easy it might be to get rid of them, there would always be some section of society who does'nt like those in government, at any given time, and wanted change.

If it were easy to change governments, we might see an endless cycle of short term governments, and the instability and short term thinking that would go with it. ( Maybe that would be no worse than what we currently have, who knows...? )

The problem I see with American politics, ( As U.K.) is, you keep voting for well connected college boys from privileged wealthy backgrounds, who don't remotely care about people, and are just interested in maintaining the status quo for their kind...I think this is where your problem lies.....?

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   

As I've been reading this thread I started remembering that I'd heard of a move for a new Constitutional Convention. It seems some 32 states have signed on. As time has passed, some of them may have changed their minds, as the movement seems to have begun in the '70s.

Let me find it again. Ah. Here:

Will Threat of New Consitutional Convention Provoke New Thirteen Colonies to Declare Independence?

...what would happen if the current bunch of politically correct leftists in Washington, D.C., were to be granted the power to rewrite our Constitution? It would be the end of the United States of America, and that is no hyperbole. The modern Con Con effort began back in the 1970s. Since then, 32 states have issued the call. The total number of states that are required to enact the Con Con is 34. Simple math reveals that we are only two states short of this disaster. As word of this potential calamity began to surface, the effort stalled with the total states issuing the call stuck at 32. With the election of Barack Obama, however, supporters of a Con Con have been emboldened and are now trying to resurrect the momentum.

You'll find your point validated here: It could be an absolute disaster....

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join