It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Su-35 at Paris

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by boomer135

No worries, I wouldn't wanna get you in trouble or anything just to satisfy my curiosity lol one other thing you mentioned was that the F-22 was testing faceted external tanks, I looked up on these and couldn't find anything at all, if they were flying out with these they'd have to be pretty careful with people getting pictures, but since I can't find any I'd say they have been anyways.

I was trying to find a patent from Lockheed on them and came across this one (not from Lockheed) you might be interested in reading; Air to air arming

I have no idea whether or not it would actually work but it's interesting nonetheless.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stealthbomber

No worries, I wouldn't wanna get you in trouble or anything just to satisfy my curiosity lol one other thing you mentioned was that the F-22 was testing faceted external tanks, I looked up on these and couldn't find anything at all, if they were flying out with these they'd have to be pretty careful with people getting pictures, but since I can't find any I'd say they have been anyways.

I was trying to find a patent from Lockheed on them and came across this one (not from Lockheed) you might be interested in reading; Air to air arming

I have no idea whether or not it would actually work but it's interesting nonetheless.

Yeah the F-22 was definitely testing faceted external tanks. There are pics out there but it's still classified. I can neither confirm nor deny if I may or may not have a picture of them

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Stealthbomber

They've been researching air to air arming for years but never got the funding to create the boom armer and other technology they would need. But in today's day and age, while it would be kick ass to see, I don't see a need for it.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

We'll that's good, ill have to do a bit more research and try and find a pic although I don't like my chances lol yeah I agree it would be cool to see. It was just something I came across looking through lockheeds patents and it lead me to that. Also found some other cool patents, I think ill make a thread about it tomorrow. I found one that shows a way to keep an aircraft stealthy in the rain

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Stealthbomber

nice. looking forward to that.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Here's another video of the display. This one was shot with a FLIR Systems Star Saphire 380 HD camera. What amazes is me is how sharp and clear the IR shots are. I remember when they first started showing FLIR images (and seeing them for myself the first time), while you could tell what you were looking at, the images were a little fuzzy, and sometimes you had to really look to tell what it was. These shots are incredible, and were taken in broad daylight.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Some of the new EO/IR systems are pretty amazing.

There have been some .. interesting developments about our understanding of how quickly different wavelengths attenuate through the atmosphere.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Zaph,

Here is a very open ended question, that I think you or Boomer would be the most qualified to answer.

When do you expect to see a fundamental shift in aircraft design? I am referring to design changes that go beyond the incorporation of auxiliary technologies (e.g stealth, guidance, etc).

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

It's been in the works for several years now in the black world. There are a few designs that incorporate incremental shifts leading towards a big design shift. We're still a few years from seeing a completely radical design shift, but they're working that way.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

And in your opinion will unmanned vehicles take more and more precedence in the future? Or will man always been an integral part of aviation?

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

We're going to see a lot of the mission taken over by unmanned aircraft, but some missions will always have a man involved. I don't think we'll ever see a completely unmanned air force. We might see a 99% unmanned one, but a few missions will always have pilots involved. At least for awhile yet.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Ah yes, the good old arbitrary assignment of generations to modern day fighter jets. So amusing.

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by MDDoxs

Were already seeing it in X planes. Here' s a couple examples:

X-48BWB

X-53 Active Wing

The BWB will be a breakthrough in aircraft design if they get it working. And an Active Aeroelastic Wing is the future for sixth gen fighter aircraft. Its the first step in a skin that can "heal" itself when it comes to combat aircraft, something the Air Force wants in a sixth gen fighter.

Edit: Forgot about the X-55 ACCA. Pretty interesting.
edit on 26-7-2013 by boomer135 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Morg234

There's nothing arbitrary about it. It's a logical progression of technologies.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Morg234

Yes. The whole distinction between gen 4.5, gen 4.75, gen 4+, gen 4++, gen 4+++, is a whole bunch of arbitrary marketing Gobbledygook.
edit on 27/7/13 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join