It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Su-35 at Paris

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
The Su-35 flew at the Paris Airshow today. There's not much to say about the video, except holy crap. Supposedly the F-35 is going to have better maneuverability than any 4th generation fighter out there (the Flanker E is a 4++), but I have yet to see anything even remotely close to even the same general vicinity of maneuverability that the Flanker showed today.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I love this sexy bird, thanks for posting it.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Amazing machine and excellent pilot!

Now if there were only a dog fight or two on Youtube to show us the real real power of this thing......

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   

What? No canards?
I like canards. Still a very pretty critter though.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

They're using thrust vectoring with improved relaxed stability FBW instead of the canards (which also reduces the RCS somewhat by removing them).

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
The Russians share a different doctrine when it comes to public displays like these and the loadouts of the aircraft from the Americans.

Demonstrations involving the F-22, for example, are performed with full fuel loads and simulated armament loads. This is in contrast with the Russian approach being to perform with a very light (sub 50% capacity) fuel load and no armament.

Regardless, I am always amazed at the kinematic accuity some of their higher end aircraft display in the air. Truly a marvelous sight.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   

I know.
But canards look so bitchin.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

That they do, but in this day and age with stealth being the new way of the world, it's not worth the RCS increase.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   

How about them vertical (very vertical) stabs/rudders and exterior weapons pylons?

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

You can help alleviate somewhat for those, but those are increasing RCS as well. By removing the canards, it's just one less thing to have bouncing radar back. To be honest, the Russians are lucky to have this bird flying with the problems they've had in recent years with some of the other variants. They aren't up to working with composites, and RAM on a large scale yet, so their best bet is currently a little bit of RAM/composites in the vertical surfaces, and removing the canards.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   

To be honest, the Russians are lucky to have this bird flying with the problems they've had in recent years with some of the other variants.

I know. This one has been a long time coming.
I still think Su's are beautiful birds.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

They are, but I was reading up on the -34 problems they've had, and it's staggering how bad the QA and manufacturing has gotten there. There has been a horrible brain drain in Russia in recent years that has almost killed them production wise.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
What do you think it is ? Purposely built technology (for demos) or production version or a highly skilled/seasoned pilot?

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

It's supposed to be a production version (albeit with fairly low fuel levels [much like how the F-14 won the Iran contract over the F-15]) and most likely one of their chief test pilots.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by hp1229

It's supposed to be a production version (albeit with fairly low fuel levels [much like how the F-14 won the Iran contract over the F-15]) and most likely one of their chief test pilots.
Thats why I asked
Selling is an Art

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Wow, indeed!

They would prove to be quite the adversary in a dogfight, from what the video shows.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Hmmm..

Very maneoverable and yet strangely stable.....The equivalent of pulling some donuts and hand brake turns in a sportscar I guess...

I think it's a great advert for the SU-35 at the Paris airshow and im sure orders will follow.....

Can the RAF buy some please...:-)

PDUK

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Great Video, Zaph. I'm curious, fly-by-wire? CPU'd? Both?

If it's not CPU'd then pilot skill becomes a huge issue.

Three cheers for BVR engagements....

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by nwtrucker

Relaxed stability FBW.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   
That's a big WOW! Such a controlled, yet smooth flowing performance, loved the climb followed by a vertical, flat, descent. Take it, a lot of computer in that display, if not for control but to know just where in the sky you are and which direction you are facing!

A sort of jet powered Pitt Special stunt plane, always loved those displays.

Vectored thrust? Is that a bit like how the Harrier controlled it's flight?

From memory, a lot of stunt pilots come from the Russian area. Is there a connection?

Thanks for posting, but it has spoilt my weekend, as I was going to watch a Vulcan fly. Don't get me wrong, they can throw that plane around, but that SU has got to be in the superb category.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join