It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim cleric gets 11 years in prison for burning Bible - (In Egypt)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Muslim cleric gets 11 years in prison for burning Bible

An Islamic preacher known for his hate speeches against Coptic Christians was sentenced to 11 years in prison for tearing up and burning a Bible outside the U.S. Embassy during a protest against an anti-Islam film last year.

An Egyptian court in Cairo sentenced Ahmed Abdullah on Sunday for insulting religion and burning a Bible. He was also fined 3,000 Egyptian pounds, or $430.

Abdullah’s son was sentenced to eight years in prison and fined 2,000 Egyptian pounds, or $286 for his role in the burning.

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
This came as a surprise to me when I saw it... Is this a small glimmer of hope that peoples mindset might be changing, moving away from the old non accepting to a new, more accepting, viewpoint? I have seen discussions about the latest generation in Egypt not placing much emphasis on religion, and instead, placing more emphasis on tolerance and acceptance.

Some more examples -

Egypt's Muslims support Coptic Christians on religious holiday

CNN) -- Egyptian Muslims attended Christmas services Friday in a show of solidarity with Coptic Christians days after a bombing killed 23 congregants in the country's north.

Egyptian Muslims act as "human shields" for Coptic Christmas mass

A movement led by Muslim leaders and journalists, the civilian response has the heartening undertones of a civil rights struggle that transcends religious differences. It is furthermore a demonstration that because government officials in Egypt and other Muslim-majority countries have often failed to defend religious freedom, the people are taking matters into their own hands.

I think the comment by one person interviewed summed it up the best -

"I know it might not be safe, yet it's either we live together, or we die together, we are all Egyptians."

A small step forward? Perhaps...
An important one? Absolutely...

Every journey must start with a first step.
edit on 17-6-2013 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I doubt that US govt would do the same , if the priest was burning Qur'an.

I think that Egypt is some steps ahead now.
edit on 17-6-2013 by mideast because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by mideast

You are right

In July 2010, Terry Jones, the pastor of the Christian Dove World Outreach Center in Gainesville, Florida, U.S., announced he would burn 200 Qurans on the 2010 anniversary of the September 11 attacks. He gained media coverage, resulting in international outrage over his plans and pleas from world leaders to cancel the event. In early September 2010, Jones cancelled and pledged never to burn a Quran.[1] Jones's threat sparked protests in the Middle East and Asia, in which at least 20 people were killed.

wiki link

he only got a 271 dollar fine .

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by mideast

Being the US Government has nothing to do with prosecution I would agree.

Secondly we would actually need a law that prevents it, and since it would infringe on the first amendment I don't see that happening soon.

The point behind my post was to demonstrate that in this case the law in Egypt did not solely protect a Muslim. It protected a different religion.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
And do you want know a secret?

Pastor Terry Jones and the Guy Morris Sadek who made the movie the guy burned the bible over work together.

Pictures are worth a thousand words right.

And they work for Scooter Libby at the Hudson Institute.

Picture is worth a thousand words right.

Proof that Scooter Libby is tied to the Hudson Institute.

The tax forms for the Hudson Institute.
dynamodata.fdncenter.org...

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

After their huge outcry last year, they have to look somewhat balanced and fair if they're going to gain any credibility in the eyes of the rest of the world.

Considering this ruling last November...

In a symbolic verdict that is sure to disconcert Egypt’s secular citizens and religious minorities, a Cairo court has sentenced seven people to death in absentia for their suspected involvement in the production of the film that insulted Islam and led to protests all across the Muslim world.

www.ibtimes.com...#

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I'm a christ follower...I say let him go.....Ya see....we know....we are sure of our salvation....we know we can't do the law thing...we suck at it...we know that

And finally we KNOW He can take care of Himself....we don't have to worry about His capability
Hey...let that good ole' boy go....we got more bibles, we're like not even offended....maybe he was upset.....at the moment
edit on 17-6-2013 by GBP/JPY because: Yahuweh...the coolest of names, I swear

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I don't know -

I look at burning books of religious nature as right up there with protestors burning flags of their nations and burning bras.

It's a statement of freedom. Let these people exhibit peacefully. It's their right and a much more agreeable show of aggression than violence and mayhem. Stop judging people and let them be. Just let them be... sheesh.

Cirque

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by GBP/JPY

I agree! If he burns a bible, turn the other cheek! Give him another one to burn. God likes burnt offerings so what is the problem. Burn baby. burn.

As for the cretins role in advocating violence against other religions, yea, lock him away! Stone him!

P

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by mideast

:shk: GOOD!
I certainly hope the United States wouldn't send a priest to jail for burning a Qu'ran.

NO ONE should go to jail for 11 years for burning a book.
Be it the bible or the Qu'ran or the Egyptian Book of the Dead, or the Tibetan Book of the Dead ...
It's just a book. NO ONE should go to jail for burning a book.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   

That is true. Neither would they do the same if someone was burning a Bible or a Torah or the latest Stephen King novel. We have freedom of speech here and you can burn anything you like, as long as it is your property and not someone else's.

We do not have "insulting a religion" as a law here and such a law would also be considered in violation of our freedom of speech. I'm rather glad to live in a free country rather than a theocracy.
edit on 18-6-2013 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by NavyDoc
I'm rather glad to live in a free country rather than a theocracy.

Secular rule of law. It's the only fair law. It's the only SANE law. There is no reason to send someone to jail for 11 years simply because they burn a religious book (be it the Qu'ran or Bible or whatever) That's insane.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I have my doubts as to whether someone burning a Qur'an would live long enough to stand trial!

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   

What?????????????

No, the U.S. government would not sentence someone to prison for burning a freakin' book. Egypt is ahead? What's wrong with you?

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
If you can burn a flag in America you can burn a book that's just the way it is.

Don't even think that cleric should get 11 years for something that would get him no time in the states.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
To OP.

Egypt are struggling with unrestrained violence against Coptic Christians and this action is one way to both reassure the beleaguered community and also punish one of the agitators. Well done. Perhaps Egypt can stop the march towards Islamic nations being solely populated by Muslims – something the Islamists want.

A few decades ago most Islamic nations had thriving Jewish and Christian communities.

Perversely, the Islamic nations helped create Israel by kicking all their Jews out! Iran once boasted 150,000 Jews, but now there are no more than 8,000!

Regards

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Yeaahh!!!! Christianity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ehem... I mean. Thats great.

Not trying to look Radical here lol

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

What?????????????

No, the U.S. government would not sentence someone to prison for burning a freakin' book. Egypt is ahead? What's wrong with you?

So , you don't know ?

He would get out if he shows good breeding and intentions.

I think fining was enough.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   
... and the world-view of many ATS members starts to twitch uncontrollably.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join