It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Medical Advice Needed For Childrens Grandfather Diabetes/No Doctor Michigan

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

In the very unlikely event that he is in ketoacidosis and that is his only health concern, insulin is OTC (over the counter) throughout Canada and a vial of Humalog or Novolog will begin acting in 15 minutes. This may be of no help to him depending on the extent of his ketoacidosis or other health problems.

The last time I checked, insulin is also OTC in the US, along with syringes. The problem is knowing the correct dosage or even type of insulin.

OP, I strongly urge you to call an ambulance or the police yourself.

This is strange dilemna, but feel either he or my ex may be able to solve it in person somehow or by phoning pharmacies Online, even the Canadian sites say its not available for my region, which is the west coast, and many of the links no longer exist. In fact, it seems they are trying their best to make it not available, and then there is the problem of what kind or dosage.

For example with my thyroid, cannot take the synthetic, spent 6 years nearly comatose on it and am on dessicated pig thyroid. Its the only stuff that works for me, and need the complete 100% replacement as my thryoid doesnt function at all, its 100% out as if it was physically removed.

Now, I just searched and found many are on the real dessicated insulin too, as the other doesnt do well.

Oh Gee, wonder why? I had this feeling that their synthetic insulin would not work for everyone, and can't see how it works any of them based on my thyroid experience, so ....

He must know what he is on and the dosage, however, what if it has to be substituted. And the real insulin is better priced and seems to work better for some diabetics as I've just read online.

So, it looks complicated.

I really don't understand why something so important to a nation isn't available to all, and what they need, for their body types and as for the doctor, no one should be without a doctor.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I know from my experience with my dad in his later years the illness and his declining ability to get around made a generally easy going man more than a little hard to deal with. There are physicians who specialize in working with geriatric patients and are more understanding of the belligerent attitudes that sometimes come with declining health, physically and mentally.

I don't know what the laws are for buying medication from Canadian pharmacies for people in the US. I don't know how you would go about getting a prescription filled if you don't have a current prescription. My son is on two medications and he has to have blood tests every three months and a check up with the doctor to receive the new script which is then good for three months. When we were without insurance due to husband's layoff, a quick application with the pharmaceutical company and verifying information from the doctor's office got us the medicine for free shipped to the doctor's office for pick up. When the insurance kicked in again, the doctor's office notified the company and the script went back to our original pharmacy.

Along with contacting Michigan's Dept. of Health you could also look into what help is available from the American Diabetes Association.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Unity I hope he was able to get help last night.

I found a page that lists resources for those that need assistance.

Financial Assistance for Insurance and Medications

That page has a website that lists free clinics by state: Database of Free Clinics in the United States

Hope that helps!

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Go to the ER, they can't refuse medical care and most of them hand out pill bottles when they send you home.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Unity, it's about money. Luxury item like ED treatment? $4. Life giving hormone? $136. Big pharma makes loads of money off of everyone, but they stick it to those who require constant medication to do simple things, you know, like, eat. Silly diabetics. Insulins used to be prescribed by the vial; my prescription would read, "1 vial Humalog insulin per 28 days". Now the local pharmacy here needs how many units I take per meal, per day in order to a fill a script. Ridiculous. That's not the way I handle my diabetes.

If you'd like I'll PM you the Canadian Pharmacy I use. The legality of US citizens ordering from Canadian pharmacies is.... hazy at best. Customs inspects all my boxes, there are stickers slapped on the inside of each one I receive. They have the ability to confiscate my insulin. They have the ability to dispose of it at any time. They never have. But I understand it's a risk I take. Shipping is prolonged with insulin, too, usually taking 10 - 14 days to get to Utah. My Humalog comes from Turkey and the box is printed in Turkish. It's kinda cool. My Levemir comes from Canada. Being that only Eli Lily and Novo Nordisk make insulins worldwide, I don't worry about efficacy.

Because he needs Tramadol I assume he has other health problems. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about pain meds, so I am no help there.

Dessicated insulin may help Type 2s, I am not sure. Also, be aware: inhalable insulin is in its final trial phases.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
some things i've read. since everyone is different, there's no guarantees this will work. if he has advanced neuropathy, the methyl b-12 could pose a problem, as it regenerates dead nerves and if the bones have been displaced as a result have having no blood flow to the area (such as feet and hands) suddenly having feeling in them again, would likely be painful, so i would think finding out how advanced his neuropathy is, would be very important.

vitamin b-1 for kidneys
coenzyme q-10 for kidneys and heart
methyl b-12 (not vitamin b-12 but rather, methyl b-12, also called methylcobalamin) for neuropathy
alpha lipoic acid for neuropathy
chromium picolinate for blood sugar balance
cinnamon for blood sugar balance

expensive though.

posted on Jul, 19 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Just an update. Finally he got some meds at the hospital. This time wasn't denied them. So he goes month by month till he can get a doctor, even a few of the pain meds this time. I hope they're not doing this to other folk out there where you have to beg and its hit or miss if you can meds needed for life and death.

I tried to suggest, when I researched that particular med, and how terrible it was to come off of (and yet they're handing it out to even arthritis victims), that he go to the health food store and get some same and 5htp, I think that is what they're called and melatonin for his mental integrity. There is more that can be done that can't be discussed. Still trying to get a hold of the father, even the grandfather hasn't been able to, to see what he can do to help. Anyway, we're very relieved on this for the time being.
edit on 19-7-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join