It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Medical Advice Needed For Childrens Grandfather Diabetes/No Doctor Michigan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
We just found out today, through vague phone calls that my son's paternal grandfather from Michigan was dying. Then my mother had a long phone call when he phoned while the children were out. Apparently he has diabetes, and has no insulin, no pain killers, no doctor, and he said he was told he couldn't get medicine without a doctor, and a woman is watching over him as he is dying for no reason other than having no insulin for his condition.

We have no resources in our family, my ex is working and had talked of trying to get him a house here in Canada and pay for it in the past, but this is ridiculous. There has to be a way to ensure he gets help. So far, no one seems have an answer on what to do.

I've been researching for what to do without insurance and doctor with diabetes and found a bunch of procedures here:

community.diabetes.org...

www.uniteforsight.org...

This seems to be a list of clinics.

From what I'm gathering the procedure would be akin to going to a clinic, a doctor, or the hospital, and getting several months worth of samples of insulin....then, applying for some kind of aid for having the medicine and testing kits from a variety of sources.

I don't even know if they have a vehicle.

I was yelling from the background, PHONE AN AMBULANCE THEY CAN'T REFUSE TO TREAT HIM.

But this is the US where they might refuse to treat people...

I would really appreciate some rather fast advice on how to go about getting him treated, getting medication in the meantime and going about applying for whatever aid they have in covering his diabetes.

Thank you in advance if you can advise.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Is it possible to phone the hospitals in his area and get some help for him from here, our phone is like local calls for North America with Shaw? What would you request they do if one gets through?

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Might it be necessary to phone a Michigan politician office or is there some other person to call there?

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Call an ambulance...I don't think a hospital can refuse treatment. There's a sign in our hospital that says they have to treat everyone, regardless of ability to pay. That's the first step.

Now, some questions, and you may not know the answers.

1). Who diagnosed him with diabetes? If it was a doctor, then that doctor should be able to provide the names of local charities, churches, and organizations that help people pay for treatment. These exist..I worked in a pharmacy for several years and we had a list of churches that we would call when someone couldn't afford their medicine.

2). Is it possible this is a self diagnosis, and perhaps he isn't diabetic but might have dementia? I only ask because there are ways to get help in the US if you can't afford medicine, and a doctor would know this. However, someone suffering from dementia might believe they have diabetes when in fact they do not.

3). How long has he had diabetes? Type 1 or Type 2? Depending on the type and severity, you can't survive long without insulin. It's just a matter of days before coma, followed by death.

Is there a neighbor or family friend who lives nearby who can go check on him? If not....consider calling the police in his area to do a well check. It's a drastic step, I know, but it sounds like he needs help and this may be the only way to get him help.

Please keep us informed. My thoughts are with you and your family.

S&F for more attention. Good luck.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

I'm a 32 year old Type 1 Diabetic. I was diagnosed as an infant.

Diabetes comes with a great many complications. As it sounds like this man is of advanced age, the likelihood is that he has Type 2 Diabetes that has not been managed well. He may have peripheral neuropathy, glaucoma, retinopathy, kidney failure, heart problems, atherosclerosis, open ulcers on his skin, etc ad nauseum.

In the very unlikely event that he is in ketoacidosis and that is his only health concern, insulin is OTC (over the counter) throughout Canada and a vial of Humalog or Novolog will begin acting in 15 minutes. This may be of no help to him depending on the extent of his ketoacidosis or other health problems. But, if needed, you have the ability to help him. I buy my insulin from Canada.

I have been admitted to the hospital four times with ketoacidosis in my life, twice to the ICU for extended stays. It's not something I would wish on my worst enemy. Sounds like he has a hospice worker, though, and that may be the best thing for him at this point. Diabetics who don't take care of themselves run their lives out. They just do. It's a very serious disease, whether genetic like me or a lifestyle condition like Type 2.
edit on 6/17/2013 by Halekoch because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

In the very unlikely event that he is in ketoacidosis and that is his only health concern, insulin is OTC (over the counter) throughout Canada and a vial of Humalog or Novolog will begin acting in 15 minutes. This may be of no help to him depending on the extent of his ketoacidosis or other health problems.

The last time I checked, insulin is also OTC in the US, along with syringes. The problem is knowing the correct dosage or even type of insulin.

OP, I strongly urge you to call an ambulance or the police yourself.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

My mother said that the woman who is checking up on him and lent him her phone, said he had had a doctor up until recently and has been on insulin for years, since he was much younger. She said something my mother didn't understand that some other person had, that she named but my mother has forgotten, somehow ruined his relationship with his doctor and now he he is suddenly without one, and without meds that are life saving for him. And because she just said this, not sure even if he is lacking insurance of some kind, but hasn't yet been able to get another doctor, they're not taking new patients. I had assumed it was also about insurance, which may or may not be the case now.

And he was told, not sure if this was the hospital. He was very winded and run down when talking to mom, so she let him go, but someone told him when he was still vital enough to be seeking help, that he needed a doctor to get the meds.

Apparently at this stage he is not vital enough to seek for help. He's dying and in a great deal of pain.
edit on 17-6-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Ambulance. Now, my friend.

I'm sending you a private message.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Check again, smyleegrl. The only OTC insulins in the US are very old school, Humulin R or Humulin N. R is the fast-acting insulin, taking effect in roughly 2 hours. N is a graduated insulin, acting long term over 8 hours. Neither are of assistance with ketoacidosis which requires more acute care.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Halekoch

Check again, smyleegrl. The only OTC insulins in the US are very old school, Humulin R or Humulin N. R is the fast-acting insulin, taking effect in roughly 2 hours. N is a graduated insulin, acting long term over 8 hours. Neither are of assistance with ketoacidosis which requires more acute care.

Thank you for correcting me. It's been ten years since I worked in a pharmacy and I was only a tech.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Halekoch

I believe he's in his 70's and has had diabetes for a long time and a doctor until recently and meds until recently. He's not healthy enough to be a squeaky wheel right now and get help, but he had been turned away, somewhere with a story about not being able to get medication without a doctor...... If this turns out to be true and if when I phone again very soon, hopefully able to reach him tonight, not sure about this woman and the phone thing.....then someone may be murdering him right now as we speak. I've got to try and get through to him and tell him to phone an ambulance, and also, will write down some notes from this thread in case he has objections and insists he can't get help.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   

He's out of breath because his body is trying to exhaust glucose (sugar in the blood) through his lungs by turning it into carbonic acid. It makes breathing terribly painful, but you can't stop and you can't slow it down. It often induces panic attacks in diabetics who let their blood sugar get this high.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Halekoch

He's out of breath because his body is trying to exhaust glucose (sugar in the blood) through his lungs by turning it into carbonic acid. It makes breathing terribly painful, but you can't stop and you can't slow it down. It often induces panic attacks in diabetics who let their blood sugar get this high.

Is there anything you can do to help short term? Like drinking extra water?

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Likely he is drinking extra water, unless he has kidney complications from his diabetes. Water does help temporarily, but it is not an extended fix.

I agree with your previous post, call an ambulance. Worry not about the bills, this absolutely is life or death.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Definitely either call the police local to him for a wellness check or have the woman caring for him call an ambulance. I would opt for the police, personally, just to be sure that someone with some authority is involved. Hospital ERs cannot turn a person away if they are in need of life saving care. One of the key symptoms that all ER nurses and doctors will tell you to immediately seek medical care for is shortness of breath. It's best if it is a non-profit hospital because they usually have procedures in place to help long term instead of just stabilizing the patient and sending them on their way to find follow-up care on their own. If he has low or no income the pharmaceutical companies have different programs for free or greatly reduced prescriptions.

Michigan's Dept. of Health (MDCH) is a good resource for finding clinics, doctors and help with prescriptions.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Halekoch

I've been taking notes, because we have to phone back with a list of things to suggest, and see if they're going to do this, and we're waiting also for my ex to phone.

I've written down the pat about the OTC, over the counter. I don't know how his health is at this stage? Also, have traced the phone call to a small town in Michigan, so when we phone shortly, can take some action ourselves if they seem to drop it.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Cirene

That is what I've been advised to do if they don't respond to our enquiries tonight. Its unbelievable to me what is going on.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Are there no other relatives (even distantly related) that could check in with him and sit until an ambulance arrived?

I can't imagine being in this situation, I would feel so helpless. I hope that you are able to get him help very soon.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
OK we now have his address, and mom is talking to him again. He does have medicare, but was told at the hospital that he will not get medicine without a doctor, and he also needs pain medicine, he takes Tramadol. For some reason he can't go to a clinic, I think they got into an argument there. Now that sounds like my ex. The doctor told him that they won't help him, and won't take him on, and he's been out for 3 months of pain pills and in terrible pain. So got a lot more details.

He has about a month's supply of insulin left, and will be trying to get my ex on the job of seeing to it he gets more, and maybe there is another type of pain relief that is strong that is not restricted but easier to get.

So I don't have to phone the police but am wondering how it is that he is being told he must have a doctor, to have medicine. And I gather he has a temper like my ex, so doesnt just willingly accept their answers.

Is it legal when someone with his condition on meds and pain meds, to be denied his medication when he loses his doctor, even when he is suffering terribly and also, has a life threatening condition?

I'm trying to research natural pain meds, but remember after surgery it took strong stuff.
edit on 17-6-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I wanted to thank everyone for their input, and for some heroic response, that showed such a wonderful heart and soul. I think while he is looking for a doctor the insulin can be handled, am doing a search for the Canadian over the counter products, but his pain meds are going to be harder. I take it he is not doing well with his condition.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join