Bahrain digs unveil one of oldest civilisations

page: 1

join
+16 more 
posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Excavations at an archaeological site in Bahrain are shedding light on one of the oldest trading civilisations

Despite its antiquity, comparatively little is known about the advanced culture represented at Saar.

The site in Bahrain, thought to be the location of the enigmatic Dilmun civilisation, was recently discussed at a conference in Manama, the Gulf nation's capital, organised by the UN's educational, scientific and cultural body (Unesco).

The meeting was devoted to wide-ranging debate on heritage tourism; Bahrain is a Unesco regional headquarters and one of its key attractions is an abundance of ancient sites.

At Saar (named after the closest modern village), with the scorching sun rising ever higher in the sky, a Bahraini archaeologist patiently explained to a group of workers how to re-point a low wall in a state of near collapse.

I was reading as usual the latest or newest info on certain regions regarding early cultures and civilizations and thought I'd stop in and share this article with you. The area in question has always been of interest to me. This line here caught my attention. Trading routes between Mesopotamia and the Indus valley.

Dilmun, one of most important ancient civilisations of the region and said to date to the third millennium BC, was a hub on a major trading route between Mesopotamia - the world's oldest civilisation - and the Indus Valley in South Asia

For those of you who are interested in this era should find this a fascinating read.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
edit on 17-6-2013 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Gonna be a great read as usual Slayer.

Just curious...I posted a few authors in a series of Native American fiction...W Michael & Gear Kathleen O Gear. Early Americans Series....

Maybe not for all but just want to ask if you read these?

Peace

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I appreciate the interest. I do a lot of reading mostly non-fiction and haven't as of yet read any of their series of books. To be honest, I had to Google them just now. Fiction? I'm more bent towards Sci-Fi, Political Espionage and Thrillers...

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Interesting post - thanks for that.

It's the first time I've ever heard of an archaeological dig that suggests being the home of the great Sumerian creator-god Enki.

That's gotta be a first, no?

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by jude11

I appreciate the interest. I do a lot of reading mostly non-fiction and haven't as of yet read any of their series of books. To be honest, I had to Google them just now. Fiction? I'm more bent towards Sci-Fi, Political Espionage and Thrillers...

It's actually based on historical digs and discoveries. Each novel begins with archeological digs, artifacts etc in present day...then moves to re-trace and tell a story of what it may have been like at that precise moment in time. Fascinating reads actually.

Each novel moves closer from 10's of 1,000's of years ago to a few thousand. All on Early Americans. Well researched and intelligently written.

But I digress...this is your thread and I'm off to read.

Peace

Try one...you might be surprised.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Thanks for the link SLAYER

The state of preservation for 4,000 years old is pretty impressive , they look like some well put together walls .

Considering we in Britain were just entering the bronze age and still living in round houses at that time the fact they had restaurants and shops is quite staggering .

edit on 17-6-2013 by gortex because: Edit to add

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I thought a few here would appreciate the significance

Stay tuned

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Thats pretty cool slayer,
The coastal cities of the indus valley were some of the first long distance sea traders and they had extensive contacts with the Arabian peninsula. In fact the indus script is found on tombs in Arabia.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
i remember reading that the saudis were uncovering christian churches and destroying them ?? makes you wonder what gets hidden a bit like planet of the apes

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
There was an awesome documentary about this area that I have seen recently but I can't find it now. It was on PBS I think but I can't remember it's name and a search isn't turning up anything right now. It was a great film and it covered this civilization and another in Eastern Europe that was contemporary with them in the Balkans that only recently has been uncovered.

Anyway, nice find. I found the documentary really good and have done some reading about these places since then. I love when we find more of our early history.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I reckon this where the early site of Dilmun exists, the city where the 1st and 2nd attempt to build the tower of babel occurred, the circular temple..

What is described in Sumerian text does not match Dilmun Bahrain, When Dilmun was flooded and destroyed a remnant mostly likely set up shop in the new location Bahrain upon higher ground and took the name.

www.dalamatiacity.com...

Dilmun is no where near Bahrain as ancient Sumerian tablets describes Dilmun being in the amongst the 4 rivers.

COVER-UP! FRAGMENT #4 OF THE LOST SUMERIAN TABLETS REVEALED
www.youtube.com...

In fact Eden replaced Dilmun in the edit of Jewish books during the Babylonian captivity as you hear adopting the Mesopotamian version of Eden in the Persian Gulf.

Anyway, it sounds like another hijack.

The second Garden of Eden is under Baghdad and the 1st garden of Eden is submerged in the Mediterranean, off the coast of Cyprus verified being led by the opened Seven sealed scroll as in prophecy in Johns Revelation.

Erech to the left, Dilmun to the right at the sources of the pure waters>>>No where near Bahrain!!

www.dalamatiacity.com...

Who are these political archaeologists anyway.
edit on 18-6-2013 by sevens8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   
compare,

Compare,

Triangle ramparts/walls and the circle/tower.
www.dalamatiacity.com...

then to submerged Dilmun and the remnants of the tower of Babel,

www.dalamatiacity.com...

and

www.dalamatiacity.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing! The past is always a mystery. I wonder if we'll ever know everything about our ancestors.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I wonder if and how this may be tied in....?

Lost civilization may have been beneath Persian Gulf

At its peak, the floodplain now below the Gulf would have been about the size of Great Britain, and then shrank as water began to flood the area. Then, about 8,000 years ago, the land would have been swallowed up by the Indian Ocean

Watery refuge
The Gulf Oasis would have been a shallow inland basin exposed from about 75,000 years ago until 8,000 years ago, forming the southern tip of the Fertile Crescent, according to historical sea-level records.

"Perhaps it is no coincidence that the founding of such remarkably well developed communities along the shoreline corresponds with the flooding of the Persian Gulf basin around 8,000 years ago," Rose said. "These new colonists may have come from the heart of the Gulf, displaced by rising water levels that plunged the once fertile landscape beneath the waters of the Indian Ocean."

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Nice find. More and more we keep finding that many ancient civilizations were more advanced than previously thought.

One has to wonder how many "out of place artifacts" have been stored away and never been shown to the public which are evidence of more ancient and advanced civilizations.
edit on 18-6-2013 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Slayer do we know if this is the oldest or one of the oldest found to date?

If it is THE oldest thats a pretty epic find.

Star and flag Slayer and it's good to see you posting again.

-SAP-

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by punkinworks10

Thats pretty cool slayer,
The coastal cities of the indus valley were some of the first long distance sea traders and they had extensive contacts with the Arabian peninsula. In fact the indus script is found on tombs in Arabia.

I wasnt aware of that. Do you have any links for us?
I'd love read up on those finds.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Excavations at an archaeological site in Bahrain are shedding light on one of the oldest trading civilisations

Despite its antiquity, comparatively little is known about the advanced culture represented at Saar.

The site in Bahrain, thought to be the location of the enigmatic Dilmun civilisation, was recently discussed at a conference in Manama, the Gulf nation's capital, organised by the UN's educational, scientific and cultural body (Unesco).

The meeting was devoted to wide-ranging debate on heritage tourism; Bahrain is a Unesco regional headquarters and one of its key attractions is an abundance of ancient sites.

At Saar (named after the closest modern village), with the scorching sun rising ever higher in the sky, a Bahraini archaeologist patiently explained to a group of workers how to re-point a low wall in a state of near collapse.

I was reading as usual the latest or newest info on certain regions regarding early cultures and civilizations and thought I'd stop in and share this article with you. The area in question has always been of interest to me. This line here caught my attention. Trading routes between Mesopotamia and the Indus valley.

Dilmun, one of most important ancient civilisations of the region and said to date to the third millennium BC, was a hub on a major trading route between Mesopotamia - the world's oldest civilisation - and the Indus Valley in South Asia

For those of you who are interested in this era should find this a fascinating read.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

COOL find just wanna tag this so i can read it later......

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

I think the deeper they dig the more they will find.
Seems to me what they found is just the beginning imho...

Stay tuned.

top topics

join