It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is the universe so big?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

This is also from our limited human perspective. If the room you are currently in suddenly exploded into a fiery ball of flying material, would that environment seem logical and orderly to you? Now imagine if you were an ultra microscopic subatomic particle that came into consciousness 14 billionths of a second into that explosion. All you would be able to see through a telescope is the closest swirling debris flying away from you. It would only seem logical and orderly.
reply to post by jiggerj

well put, and better explained - tip of the hat

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
ON THE CONTRARY ,MY FRIEND............The entire universe is contaied within a single drop of water....................

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
perspective is everything man

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by billdadobbie
perspective is everything man

So, what I get from most of the posts so far is that it's all a matter of perspective. Granted.

But, from every perspective, the universe seems to be incredibly huge, right? From the subatomic, the microscopic, to the human perspective, to the colossal. Every level of organization appears to have its own special perspective of the "known universe."

What's the point of there being this illusion of infinity?

I think the best answer was that it encourages us to push our boundaries, but that would indeed suggest there is some logic behind that design. But does it also suggest there is sentience at every level of organization?

Thanks to everybody for addressing my philosophical quandary.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

How big ?

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by mideast

How big ?

Well, there is a handy interactive tool to depict "how big" in the OP. Click the link.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

If there is to be other life out in the universe, it seems we’re all doomed to being too impossibly spaced apart that we are permanently isolated.

Perhaps
I think we are a lot less isolated than we think. We eat them, cage them, wear them, cut them down, then complain about being isolated from other lifeforms.

But still, why, from our perspective, does it have to be so big?

We have to be aware to have that perspective. So the pertinent question isn't about size, but why do we have to be aware. That's the crux of it right? We are upset we don't have the answers, but if we weren't asking the questions to begin with we obviously wouldn't be upset. Why do we have to have perspective.

What role does conscious awareness have with this apparent infinity.

What if existence didn't have a choice? What if conscious awareness was always integral to this system. At which point I would think perpetuating awareness would serve more as a survival mechanism. We don't want to "die" (aka stop creating new memories). As above, so below. Perhaps infinity wants infinite memories? Dunno...it's all so metaphysical from the finite.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
In my belief, we don't know how big it is. In fact we don't even know exactly how large our solar system is for sure. Most of the numbers we get from astronomy is just guesses. Nobody really knows wheres the edge, if there is any, or how far it is from that star to this star and so forth. To say its large or small, is really no way to tell for sure. All we can say is, its out there and we are stuck here for now. Pretty amazing with all we have down on earth to offer.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Why is the universe so big? To make room for God's ego.

edit on 17-6-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   
It is said in Kabbalistic Mysticism that God exists and nothing else. It goes on further to explain that God made a tiny void within himself so that there would be space for creation and everything that isn't God i.e. the reality we exist in.

So i guess thats why the universe is so big.
edit on 18-6-2013 by combatmaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by combatmaster

God exists and nothing else.

everything that isn't God i.e. the reality we exist in.

Are these not contradicting?

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by combatmaster

God exists and nothing else.

everything that isn't God i.e. the reality we exist in.

Are these not contradicting?

Not really if you asume that god is evolving. One is the one that will be and one is the current one. Humanity have a tendency to to put god on a pedistal. Some of us realise that this is not a good thing. God needs friends and people who love what it is and help it grow. Becoming the best you can be helps god be the best it, it can be at it's current stage.

Symbiosis at a high form. Love can be corrupted and demanding. Oneness where 2 parts create a bigger whole in symbiosis cannot by it's definition be corrupted.

In the end everybody will leave this place for another. Do the best you can and take one step at the time and you will reach home. It is just a matter of time even if I am fustrated that it takes time. Having a mask was never an option. I will not be fake for anybody especially not god. A very hard lesson to learn to see everything fall from the ideal that you crave.
. But when you are thru it the sense of calm when you feel the light is sometimes extreme. Do not take it literally but understand the message below.

edit on 18-6-2013 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Precisely my point. That is the essence of why humans cannot fathom God. It is beyond our comprehension.

The hebrew word for world (Olam) actually means by definition: Illusion. According to Jewish Mysticism, God created our reality so that to us it looks like he doesn't exist, it is an Illusion. Hence, my previous comment seemed contradictory but that is because it is meant to be. That is Gods greatness, that he can be and not be simultaneously.

Do you follow?

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   

thanks.

here download it

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   

I can't help it, I have to do it. This video isn't embeddable but here's the link. It's all I could think of reading this thread.

www.spike.com...

posted on Jun, 28 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by mideast

scale2.s3.amazonaws.com...

SWEET!
This is awesome... check it out...

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   

im sorry this is so late, but i have to say now that i think about it: You ask why so big? Well, if it was smaller how would that be? would it have borders? how would it work? i think the continuing expansion of the universe is the only plausable universe to be. no? think about it? if it was up to you how would you make the universe smaller? it is not possible! would you make our solar system and then galaxy be the end of it. but we have advanced in tech to fathom that and measure it so we would measure the end and then what? we would know the entire universe ends with what? a brick wall? how?

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join