It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars & Earth: A Comparison of Surface Maps And Some Questions

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jeep3r

Not that I have seen it all, but It is rare that I catch a theory or an avenue that I haven't looked down already. The is an incredible comparison. Now all we have to do now, is go get the real story from the Zulu's. For anyone that doesn't know that have a strong oral traditions about Mars.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Looks like an old metal steering wheel from an old riding lawn-mower or an old golf cart... either way, it must be the remnants of the very first course in 'Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail'...

reply to post by AKINOFTHEFIRSSTARS

Judging by earlier responses, it appears that Phage must be a member of the Zulu's.
edit on 18-6-2013 by esteay812 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by jeep3r

Very intriguing thread Jeep3r.

One of the most originals.

S&F.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by impaired

Hot Dog - He's right! Nice find, Jeep3r! I think it's a coincidence, but it is uncanny. Here's my latest Gigapan for you, OP, in return.

gigapan.com...

Hey, thanks for your opinion on this ... also, I'm glad you're still making those GigaPan's. I already looked into your new one and took some snapshots. It's fantastic work, as usual!

I remember there were a few things of interest at Point Lake & Shaler (and especially in the area inbetween). Can't wait to see different perspectives and new close-ups ...

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Hey Arken, thanks for stopping by! Glad you liked the comparison even though I still don't know what to make of it ... after all, I think it was a good idea to share this.

Apart from that, with MSL now being at Point Lake (and heading for Shaler) while acquiring fantastic new imagery, it looks like there's a lot of work ahead for both us in terms of looking for interesting surface features ...

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh

planet size can differ due to a molten core. angular inclinations can happen due to precession and interference. as for space time ... factor out the observer

peace

Wasn't sure whether you're gonna show up to discuss this, but I'm glad you did! Thanks, Pharaoh ...

I also wonder whether it's possible to find some more 'concrete' hints on the surface in order to substantiate or disprove this idea. Perhaps the links you provided will help a bit, I'll certainly keep you posted in case I stumble upon something of interest ...

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

How bizarre! That was a great song, one hit wonder, but great. Also, I think Mars has a lot to reveal and I hope they tell us about it while they find it. Mars' terrain seems a lot like ours!

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh

im gonna focus in on where the pyramids should be. are there any virtual models of mars? google mars etc

Yes, there are ... first, you need to get Google Earth. Then you go to the top menu bar and select Mars.

In the menu on the left you can then activate the Viking orbiter imagery as an overlay.

Hope this helps ...

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xeno23
reply to post by jeep3r

Wow, This is very interesting finding! Good eye. earth.
I'm pretty sure that mars was once inhabitable and could support carbon based lifeforms at one point. The problem with mars is that its atmosphere is filled with greenhouse gasses. such as Carbon Dioxide which as you know is the by-product of many things such as cars, hairspray, burning coal, etc. Maybe when/if it was inhabited the possible sentient beings, they destroyed mars much as we have destroyed.

Seriously? Carbon dioxide is not a pollutant. Sure, it's created by some industrial processes as a by product, but guess what? It's REQUIRED FOR LIFE TO EXIST. And if there was too much carbon dioxide in our atmosphere, more plants would grow and flourish, and turn it into oxygen. Notice how plants are greener along highways.

You know what else carbon dioxide is? A heavier than air gas. I used about 10 pounds of frozen carbon dioxide for an automotive project over the weekend. It sublimated, filled up the foot wells of my jeep as a fog, fell out the drain holes, and ran along the ground as a fog....

If the dynamo of mars shut down and let the atmosphere blow away, the heavier elements would stay around longer. Also, if plants died before animals did, the animals would use up all the oxygen leaving carbon dioxide instead....

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by windword

I found something odd...

It's dead smack in the middle of the photo. It's a little off in color. Different/lighter the the surrounding area.

Then, if you look to the left..adjacent to the + and -...the object is right across from the - . On the rock like cliff...

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jeep3r

Very interesting! Here's a crazy thought ... what if Earth itself became self aware upon our arrival here from Mars?

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
It is annoying me where I have seen those comparisons made before! with those pictures

anyhoo Here is a thread from 2011 that talks about Mars Terraformed, pretty cool.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by crazylexxi

Your comment on CO2 was a bit peculiar, so I looked it up! :-)
To my surprise, carbon dioxide is indeed heavier than air, but only slightly. The difference is so slight, apparently, that gravity matters much less than the process of diffusion (if the gas temp is similar), which is why CO2 doesn't accumulate near the ground level. I think the frozen CO2 you used as an example kept by your feet because it was very cold, and gasses get more dense as their temperature drops.
Interesting comment though! I had always thought CO2 was lighter than air.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by InverseLookingGlass
As for pattern matching, the human brain is a super computer with bugs in the SW. Why, just the other day I saw an image of Jesus in the anus of a dog. It was remarkably accurate to my recollection of what Jesus should look like.

Actually, I think our pattern matching 'software' is damn near perfect! Our brain finds patterns familiar to us - it doesn't matter where those visual patterns are seen (clouds, pictures, etc). The power of the brain is its versatility. It could be argued that humans in general have evolved with general purpose strategy - human degrees of motion is far higher than any other animal on the planet. Ever seen a dog scratch its back as easily as we do?? This strategy extends to the pattern-matching section of our brain. In fact, if we didn't have these 'bugs,' we honestly wouldn't be able to read, paint, look at pictures, etc. Its a general solution that can be applied to many problems.
The pattern-matching part of our brain doesn't seem to interpret information at a high-level, so it makes no decisions about the validity or usefulness of a pattern. So we as thinking beings have to rationally take an apparent pattern, and decide if it is useful or not. And unfortunately, this thread and the number of S+F it received shows that we ATSers are sadly lacking somewhat in this area.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I think Mars will became like Earth, and not the oposite. Earth will became like Venus and Venus like Mercury...
nice find

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by jeep3r

Great Find! Thanks for putting in the time and effort then sharing with the rest of us.

S+F

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by jeep3r

Cool find. Probably just a coincidence though.

Plus it is always nice to see things from outside of the box.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I found this from an old article on space.com

Mars Map; Similarities to Earth Revealed

high-resolution map of Mars's magnetic field indicates that the red planet's crust once moved like present-day Earth's. The map was pieced together from observations of Mars's magnetic field taken by NASA's Mars Global Surveyor (MGS). It reveals that the planet's surface was shaped in the same manner as Earth's - by giant crustal plates pulling apart or smashing together.

That says that Mars did have shifty surface, like we do :-)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join