It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sonic boom heard in 3 UK Counties

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Sonic boom heard in 3 UK Counties

www.bbc.co.uk

"Loud explosions" heard across the east of England were caused by a sonic boom when a jet broke the sound barrier.

The noise, at 11:30 BST, caused shaking and smashed windows and prompted calls to police in Cambridgeshire, Essex and Hertfordshire.
(visit the link for the full news article)

BBC NEWS LINK
edit on 17-6-2013 by pigsy2400 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Apparently the sonic boom was caused by a Eurofighter (Typhoon) when it was launched to intercept a passenger plane that had lost ground communications!

Police have said in a statement that it wasnt "Terror" related, but that two men off the plane were arrested!

Did anyone here on ATS hear the sonic boom? For those of us who reside in the UK

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Smashed windows is no big deal, drones crashing through windows would be more serious imo

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by pigsy2400

Yup, I heard it. Three fighters went over my house and the people in the area went outside as the Boom was so loud it sounded like a carpet bomb........

Regards,

TOT

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Just the other day my sister and I were talking about sonic booms and wondered why we almost never hear them anymore...We grew up in California during the 1970's and we heard those sonic booms almost every day, I guess the USAF had gotten a new toy back then and they played with it a lot..lol...The booms are really loud and if its something your not used to hearing especially in the middle of the night I can see how scary it would be...

edit on (6/17/1313 by shells4u because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by shells4u

Just the other day my sister and I were talking about sonic booms and wondered why we almost never hear them anymore...We grew up in California during the 1970's and we heard those sonic booms almost every day, I guess the USAF had gotten a new toy back then and they played with it a lot..lol...The booms are really loud and if its something your not used to hearing especially in the middle of the night I can see how scary it would be...

www.accessscience.com.../content/Focused-sonic-booms/YB084020

... Indeed, the Federal Aviation Administration banned civil supersonic flight over U.S. territory in 1973 as a protection against undesirable booms (at that time, the Concorde's). This ban was also adopted by other countries.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by azureskys

Originally posted by shells4u

www.accessscience.com.../content/Focused-sonic-booms/YB084020

... Indeed, the Federal Aviation Administration banned civil supersonic flight over U.S. territory in 1973 as a protection against undesirable booms (at that time, the Concorde's). This ban was also adopted by other countries.

Military jets are not civil and therefore not governed by this FAA policy.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by The0nlytruth

What exactly is a carpet bomb??????

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Mahatmacoat

There is no such physical device as a carpet bomb, the term carpet bomb means to blanket the area with conventional bombs.

As for the sonic boom.......I'm too far north to have heard it, but Facebook lit up straight away with comments from friends in the area.

For example: (the last two comments by a friend from up here in Cumbria are hilarious!)

edit on 18/6/13 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
As each year progresses, they don't need full size jets and a man in it. How about a small remote control toy planes they got all over the US. It's quite till you hear a BOOM! Oh they said your neighbor was a suspected domestic terrorist and end of story.

edit on 18-6-2013 by Yurimaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I think it happens much more often than we think, I live just outside the city and many of times i have heard "Booms" Its almost becoming quite normal around the Herts area, Again cant be 100% fact-full that the noise's im hearing are sonic booms but they are quite unexplainable and make you look up to the sky..

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Two RAF Typhoons were scrambled from RAF Coningsby, Lincolnshire for this incident. The serials were ZJ926 and ZJ915. Aviation enthusiasts also monitored some of the communications on Very High Frequency (VHF) with one Pilot acknowledging the authority for a speed of Mach 1.2.

top topics

join