It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the WORST that can happen?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 06:09 PM
link   
(1) Stuck in IRAQ for 5 more years (4 years under Bush, 1 year to exit under Hillary, et al.)
--> $150,000,000,000 dollars expended (10% of National Debt)
--> 10,000 lives lost (American)
--> 120,000 lives lost (Iraqi/Other)

(2) 5 Major Terrorist Attacks
--> Chemical/Bio
--> Nuclear
--> Airplanes hijacked and crashed into buildings
--> Schools full of children held hostage
--> Bus bombings
-----> $1,500,000,000,000 lost to rebuilding, increased security, capital, public infrastructure
-----> 2 Millions Lives Lost (less than 5% of the population)
-----> Stock market crashes twice
-----> 15% Unemployment

(3) Revolts, Riots and Revolutionary Movements

--> Hundreds of thousands imprisoned, dead
--> Hundreds of millions spent on control, security

The bottom line:

-> End of World? Not at all.
-> Defines our country, makes it stronger? Yes
-> Shows the world that we cannot be 'bankrupted' or 'wiped out'? Absolutely.

I think The United States of America is a tough country. It's a melting pot of many nationalities, cultures and ideologies. It's been here for several hundred years, and it's not going to go anywhere anytime soon (pending a large asteroid, etc).

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   
uhh your point is ? whats with the thread?

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   
The point is, WHAT ABOUT TERRORISM? What and why are we, as a people, as a nation, so durned worried about the 'terrorism' aspect?

I always like to take things to the extreme, the WORST possible situation. Many people are afraid or simply not accustomed to thinking about a specific situation and the possible ramifications that would arise.

It's almost like, "Oh man, oh MAN! I hate driving because of ACCIDENTS!!!"

That's just the way I'm looking at people today reacting to the threat of terrorism.

I say: "What's the WORST than can happen?"

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   

-> Shows the world that we cannot be 'bankrupted' or 'wiped out'? Absolutely.

What an arrogant attitude....nothing last nor stays on top forever....don't get me wrong, I am americium...half Native American...but America's choices have been bad......there are dark days a head, and I fear America is going to fall!

It's been here for several hundred years, and it's not going to go anywhere anytime soon

You need to study up on your history several years...I don't think so...several usually means "around" or near seven (Hence the several. The Revolution lasted from 1775 to 1783. Four years later, the Constitutional Convention was held with the original 13 states.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   
One thing i never ask myself is how much worse can it get. It can get much, much worse, believe me.
Whats the worse that can happen? The total destruction of life as we know it by nuclear means. This is what could happen.
Sorry, but the answer is a very pesimist one.

How do you figure we'll become stronger?

Maybe the cocoroaches left will be the size of volkswagons-unfortunately they dont talk and wont be able to tell the story.

[edit on 7-11-2004 by dgtempe]

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   
The worst thing that could have happened was Kerry being elected to the Presidency. Everything else we can deal with.

"Follow me, Honey. I'm still a Senator."

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I do agree with Grady. The worse thing that could happen is Scarry Kerry as President. Along with it, Hillary as President.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I truly believe if they wanted to "hit" us bad, they would have tried BEFORE the elections, now that they havent doesnt mean they will not try, it just means they we are giving them way to much credit, look they are on the defensive at the moment and it is hard to mount an offensive under these conditions. That doenst mean we should atke a our guard down either, just look at what the Germans almost did at the Battle of the Buldge.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 10:44 PM
link   

What an arrogant attitude....nothing last nor stays on top forever....don't get me wrong, I am americium...half Native American...

Pretty arrogant is true. But, you may be surprised that you and I agree! You see, I know without a shadow of a doubt -- juse as Rome fell we too one day will fall. Such is the nature of man and mankind - the yin and yang and Tao of being - we will be on top, and then on bottom, and then somewhere in the middle rising or falling -- but that is yet to come.

In the meantime -- what then? Wait? Stick our thumbs in dark funky places and call it quits? Nope, I think not.

In fact, to get this process speeding along, I think the terror-mongering Bush administration needs to pour it on. I mean really have a festive attitude with the terror warnings, terror advisories, and terror codes. Hell, I think we should teach our children terror attack survival techniques. In the end, we'll either grow sick of it, and become immune to being afraid (which I think is the key problem in this country at present), or we'll cower and lower ourselves to the ground and expose our underbellies so that the ravenous wolves of this world can tear out our entrails and feast upon them delightfully.

The latter situation I would hope most want to avoid. That is why, in fact, that I wrote this. I ask everyone to consider the school bully situation:

-> Kid is singled out -- he's either weak, or smart, or has some other quality which isn't normal
-> He is beat up once or twice, possibly his eye blackened and a leg broken
-> Kid now has a choice: fight or flight
-> If kid fights, he'll grow into a champ
-> If kid flees, he'll grow into a coward.

America is this Kid. We're the youngest 'country' and 'nation' to mean anything in modern history. We've got such GREAT potential, and yet we are all huddled up because some dangerous and nasty things are happening in the world. Are we going to be that coward who will flee the world conflict and avoid our destiny?

I think we can be a great Rome. I think we can be an excellent new world influence. I think we can *TRY*, and we may fail - but it is in our DESTINY to try. To be certain, the antithesis of arrogance is cowardice. Some feel we should be in the middle -- but I don't believe that's practical or possible.

...there are dark days a head, and I fear America is going to fall!

Please be more specific. How? When? What will be the single event or what will be the straw on the proverbial camels back? Will we just give up, roll over, and play dead?

[REGARDING SEVERAL HUNDRED YEAR COMMENT] ...I don't think so...several usually means "around" or near seven ...

Huh?

several defined

1. Each particular taken singly; an item; a detail; an individual.
  2. Persons oe objects, more than two, but not very many.
  3. An inclosed or separate place; inclosure.

We've been a nation for about 228 years now, actually. That certainly qualifies for the 'several' hundred nomenclature.

[edit on 7-11-2004 by NextLevel]

[edit on 7-11-2004 by NextLevel]

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
I truly believe if they wanted to "hit" us bad, they would have tried BEFORE the elections

Not necessarily.

An attack before the elections could well have resulted in a Kerry presidency - Many people could well have thought 'Bush can't protect us, lets see what Kerry can do' - it would have only have needed a 3 or 4 percent swing to the Dems to get him elected.

The Osama video however was a stroke of genius. Scare people in voting for Bush (Look, the nasty bogeyman is back - vote for me and I'll keep you safe).
Even the Republican party saw it as perfect timing.

Too perfect if you ask me.

new topics

top topics

join