It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2004 - Bush Collected Telephone Metadata - Evoked Disent - Program Discontinued

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Ok I am an equal opportunity, non partisan, critic here. It appears that Bush also had a US citizen, telephone meta data surveillance program. Attorney general James Comey, FBI director Robert Mueller, and top leadership in the Justice Department expressed their dissent and began drafting their resignation letters.

This dissent in the ranks forced Bush to back off and to discontinue the Stellarwind program.

Comey and Goldsmith found the NSA's argument tenuous, and threatened to resign over it. (A high-ranking NSA official tells the Post that the agency's policy no longer relies on this logic.) Bush at first pushed forward with the program, even after Comey ordered a halt to it, but ultimately reversed course after Mueller threatened to resign. That sparked the demise of STELLARWIND, which also included telephone data collection, though the programs that replaced it are capable of spanning a broad spectrum of communications.

President Bush's top intelligence officials nearly resigned over NSA surveillance concerns

So may I ask, what happened to these noble principles? Robert Mueller is still the FBI director and this surveillance has increased dramatically. Robert Mueller, don't let the door hit you and your "principles" on the way out!

WASHINGTON — FBI Director Robert Mueller is leaving the law enforcement agency that he has run every day since the week before the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks in the same way that he entered it: being grilled about how the FBI is carrying out the most high-profile criminal investigations in the country.

Robert Mueller, FBI Director, Faces House Panel Questioning On Benghazi, NSA Leaks

So how many of you believe that this was really discontinued? And how many here feel that this was in fact continued in secrecy? Only to keep growing, more and more technologically advanced?

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

The internet came of age during Bush's presidency.

I remember back in 2000 when bush started, dial-up was still common, Facebook, gmail all that jazz was non existent.

Fast Forwarding to 2007 when Prism was introduced..

This programme isnt the creation of Obama or Bush but the people under them. The fact they allowed it on their watch is whats being proposed as an issue here.

Did it really surprise anyone that the worlds security agencies were watching online activity? really?

You think cause your American it exempts you?

heres a curve ball.

If dramatic increases in monitoring could have stopped the Aurora shooting, the London under ground bombings, Sandy Hook.. would you have let it happen?

Secondly, have you ever been denied something, ac-ousted, accused, questioned, held against your will with your online activities the catalyst?

Has this PRISM crap done anything bad for your life what so ever?

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

If dramatic increases in monitoring could have stopped the Aurora shooting, the London under ground bombings, Sandy Hook.. would you have let it happen?

Great point....
It didn't stop any of those things, DiD IT?

Yes, it violated the 4th Amendment rights of millions of Americans.
Mother Jones
edit on 17-6-2013 by butcherguy because: added link

edit on 17-6-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Correction, I said increases....

would you allow increases if it meant it would stop those atrocities?

Also, how has your life, your daily, working, living, family life been affected?

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
reply to post by butcherguy

Correction, I said increases....

would you allow increases if it meant it would stop those atrocities?

Also, how has your life, your daily, working, living, family life been affected?

How does 'Hell no!' sound to you?
Why the hell would I allow increases when I vehemently object to what is happening now???

I would rather have the terrorist acts occur than lose Constitutional rights.

Here is your original quote:

See, you had to modify it to suit your argument after I already answered.

I can not be certain whether my emails have been read or if my phone calls have been listened to by the government.
If you don't care about erosion of the Constitution, that is fine if you want to be a spineless jelly lump that follows a 1984-esque government by Big Brother.
I don't care to have it happen to me.
edit on 17-6-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

top topics

join