It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this a river and water on mars?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
From the article... "The image has been white-balanced to show what the rocks and soils in it would look like if they were on Earth."

Maybe thats why u see what u see... They've changed the dynamics of the pic by using a white-balance. I personally dont see a river or blue or waves. I see hills...

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

The surface color is reflection, the Dartmouth link it talking about why it looks blue when you're under water and look up. When you fill a pool it only looks blue due to the white concrete reflecting back red spectrum light. If your pool is made of stone the water looks completely clear. The surface of water on Mars would appear a murky green/brown from reflecting the orangish sky back even if the water appeared blue from beneath the surface. Go out when the sky is red/orange from a sunset and the water looks dark green or brown depending on the body of water and how clear it is naturally.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by EViLKoNCEPTz

The surface color is reflection, the Dartmouth link it talking about why it looks blue when you're under water and look up.
No. It's talking about light being absorbed and scattered within the water. Some of that light gets scattered back at you and that is why water looks blue...because it is.

When you fill a pool it only looks blue due to the white concrete reflecting back red spectrum light.
That makes no sense. If concrete were reflecting red light, it would look red. White concrete is white because it reflects all colors. Since water is blue, a white concrete pool looks blue because the light hitting it is blue and the the light reflected from it is blue.

If your pool is made of stone the water looks completely clear.
Yes, because dark colors absorb the blue light that water does not.
edit on 6/17/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I meant the concrete reflects the light back, didn't notice I retyped the red spectrum part.
was in a hurry and didn't catch that. Regardless from the angle the rover was viewing the "water" it would have appeared more greenish or brown depending on its natural clarity. Even many body's of water on earth appear green instead of blue. The water needs to be extremely clear to appear blue, and the atmosphere on Mars seems to absorb and refract more of the red spectrum light which it why the sky appears a pale orange and the surface looks so red and washed out. All I'm saying is the "water" from our angle of view would be more of a green color than an actual blue as the OPs photo. I've actually never seen water so steel blue it looks more grey like in those photos. I'm gonna say the image is a heat mirage caused by heat radiating from the surface into cooler ambient temperatures like it does here when you look out across a hot surface and it appears the ground is reflecting the sky with an odd bluish white void between the reflection and the object being reflected.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by EViLKoNCEPTz

I'm gonna say the image is a heat mirage caused by heat radiating from the surface into cooler ambient temperatures like it does here when you look out across a hot surface

Or, it's color adjusted image of a dust field in the distance.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Those white things look very out of place, in the Raw Image

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Prisoner60863

well found prisoner60863 it certainly looks like water on my old pc. I look foreward to anything else you spot, It makes me wonder what else they have found Re, water,vegetation etc, that they are not telling us. Well done my friend well done. signed quekinat.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   
At first it looks like water than maybe frost or fungus growth than I thought a gas of some sort dense enough to lay low to the surface...
But what I wonder more is who? or what? are the 2 little black fellows, which are a little further behind the area of concern....

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Where is the so-called water? I don't see any thing.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   
ya I peed

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by trollz
I'm more curious about what the little black thing in the center is. There's a bunch of them spaced throughout the length of the picture.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join