It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NSA docs reveal U.S. spied on Russian president - Plus other diplomats at G20 summit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
One of the leaked documents from the "leak deludge" at The Guardian, as they call it, showed that the NSA spied on former Russian president Dmitry Medvedev during the London G20 summit in 2009. Some US spies got their hands on top secret communications between Medvedev and his delegation. The US then shared the info with the UK, Canada, New Zealand and Australia. Meanwhile, the NSA has said that its selective eavesdropping program was just to track down terrorists.

So it looks like the NSA surveillance programs is already being abused. So, do you feel it is wrong to target the president of a country? And does this mean political foes are fair game also?

The NSA has said that the reason it carried out the secretive eavesdropping program was to track down foreign terrorists. In an unclassified document that circulated on Saturday, the U.S. government said that such surveillance has allowed officials to thwart terrorist plots in the U.S. and in more than 20 other countries.

According to the Guardian, the document intercept came just hours after Medvedev met with President Obama at the summit and the two world leaders talked about working together on world issues, like nuclear disarmament.

Report: NSA docs reveal U.S. spied on Russian president
edit on 16-6-2013 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
This is breaking now , not only russian president , many more diplomats in G20 summit 2009 in London

GCHQ intercepted foreign politicians' communications at G20 summits

Exclusive: phones were monitored and fake internet cafes set up to gather information from allies in London in 2009

www.guardian.co.uk...-of-comments
edit on 16-6-2013 by xavi1000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
GCHQ means:
UK Government Communications Headquarters which is the centre for Her Majesty's Government's Signal Intelligence (SIGINT) activities.

So basically UK NSA

This is huge ! Snowden shaked the UK and US goverments like Supermen man of steel.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

Thank you, I updated my title to reflect this.
Wow this will really strain relations for the US with other countries.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Makes you wonder if Russia already knew about this or if this is news to them too. If new I will be curious to see the response. I also wonder for how long those at the Guardian are safe. They are releasing info at a trickle rate and thus far are the only media I'm aware of with the guts to do it.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by elouina
reply to post by xavi1000

Thank you, I updated my title to reflect this.
Wow this will really strain relations for the US with other countries.

Yes , but here is UK also , this may became story of the century.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Details :

The evidence is contained in documents – classified as top secret – which were uncovered by the NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden and seen by the Guardian. They reveal that during G20 meetings in April and September 2009 GCHQ used what one document calls "ground-breaking intelligence capabilities" to intercept the communications of visiting delegations.

This included:

• Setting up internet cafes where they used an email interception programme and key-logging software to spy on delegates' use of computers;

• Penetrating the security on delegates' BlackBerrys to monitor their email messages and phone calls;

• Supplying 45 analysts with a live round-the-clock summary of who was phoning who at the summit;

• Targeting the Turkish finance minister and possibly 15 others in his party;

• Receiving reports from an NSA attempt to eavesdrop on the Russian leader, Dmitry Medvedev, as his phone calls passed through satellite links to Moscow.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Looks like someone scooped me as I was reading typing and plotting.
That's the news business for ya.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
You all know, I've been 100% behind Snowden up to this point in time.....and I still am. At this point.

However, isn't *THIS* part of the things we've kinda intended them to be doing with all the money we've known all along has been writing the budgets? Spying on foreign diplomats and them spying on ours (The Chinese come to mind) is just called international relations, I'd say. Until such things get public.

I know this won't be the popular thing to say for many but I think it's a fair question to ask, and perhaps not until now to be realistic. Was THIS necessary to release in his declared intention of kicking Americans in the butt to correct the internal abuses of the American agency? This IS actually doing bad things to overall world tensions at a bad moment. I hope the benefit justifies the means and perhaps? .....be a little more careful on what gets released?

World events are very tense in some ways ... I'm just not sure on some of these things confirmed and because it's publicly confirmed? It can demand a response where the nations privately being well aware of the games, never have, IMO.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

You should read the article , revealing much more then simple spying on foreign diplomats, for example
The Blackberry revelation is extremely disturbing as all BB traffic is routed to the companies internal servers encrypted. Passive interception would yield nothing without the appropriate private keys.Or :

One document refers to a tactic which was "used a lot in recent UK conference, eg G20". The tactic, which is identified by an internal codeword which the Guardian is not revealing, is defined in an internal glossary as "active collection against an email account that acquires mail messages without removing them from the remote server". A PowerPoint slide explains that this means "reading people's email before/as they do".

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by elouina

This is become so outrageous that it borders in hilarious, now the NSA all it has to do to defend themselves if blame it on the boogeyman, you know on the "terrorist"

This morons truly believe that we the public are nothing but dumb and stupid.

Its like one time a student of mine age 7 hit another student I ask her why she did it, she said that the devil make her do it.

I tell you I don't now what to do cry or laugh my butt off.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
The black comedy of it all is that Putin is sitting pretty mumbling "Amateurs" over in his world..

These type of leaks, they get a dramatically different response outside of Western sensibilities. -Mags

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Just a quick note - CBS News no longer carries this story, link removed, not available on search....

Guess the WH and other PTB aren't interested in having this breaking news in the local (USA) MSM.

ganjoa

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ganjoa
Just a quick note - CBS News no longer carries this story, link removed, not available on search....

Guess the WH and other PTB aren't interested in having this breaking news in the local (USA) MSM.

ganjoa

WOW, someone making calls on big mainstream media in US

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Well you figure there's 20 diplomats in the room with their diplomatic immunity. It's not a matter of who did the spying but where did they hide their hidden microphones? Remember, they all met together to share notes about what to do with all their taxpayers.

I wonder if the world would do better if in the middle of a meeting the guards lock all the diplomats in a room and throw away the key.

Tsk NSA for not pulping the documents that mentioned this... so that's why I now think it's fake news.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   

ganjoa

That's insane! It must be true then, the government censors the press. So the news blockade, that's courtesy the CIA right?

Our news history, it's like an etch a sketch now, one shake and it dissolves into sand.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Actually I agree, Snowden screwed up there. Although I have to admit that spying at the G20 like they did is very nasty.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   

ganjoa

Wow you are right! This is a scandal of its own!
But it is front page news at CNN!

Wait a minute! It only mentions the UK on CNN. Wow is this propaganda or what? If anyone questions us heading into communism, here is your proof!
edit on 16-6-2013 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by elouina

See, when people question the usefulness of ATS, this is how it's useful over the MSM. Someone here is bound to catch a story and quote directly for the text to be saved in all it's original glory for everyone to see....before someone comes along and rewrites a little short term history and memory for everyone else.
Good catch on this in that respect. They are cleaning as we watch and it's not often we see it so clearly.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Here is the CBS replacement that popped up. No mention of the US in there! I need to find that document!

Report: U.K. eavesdropped on diplomats during G-20 summit

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join