It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone Know how to Noodle?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Heh... you want a real adrenaline rush ?

Volunteer yourself to be a flag marshall at road races... you know... those crazy-assed high speed motorcycle racers ? Ya, those guys.

And volunteer yourself to work the tight outside corner turns.

Man, I could go on all night telling you stories about my experiences with that !
Damn near had to kiss my sorry butt goodbye more times than I care to count...

*sigh*

Great memories.
And I'd do it all over again.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I'm San Francisco they noodle a little differently....

2nd

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   
They had x games when i was young, back in 76, i was 12 and wicked good on a
motorcycle, went to some tournaments, a guy from CA wanted to sign me up, but
we lived in GA then and dad was having no part of the expence of driving that far.
Sucks who knows what would have happend. I have pic's of me jumping my honda
xr 75 about 4 feet above my mom's head while she was standing up, off of a 4' ramp.
Man the fun days.... but you pay for that fun when you get older.

Have not been noodelin in a long time. live to far north now, cats are hard to come by,
as well as bass.
we get a lot of trout, but just not the same.

Ice fishing makes up for it though. Some good eating, the colder and deeper the water the
better they taste.

Oh, a tip for catching crawdad's, gut one of your fish you catch, leave the head on,
put it on the stringer and wait until dark and toss it out in the water. wait 10 min, then hit
it with a flash light and jump in and grab them. They will smell the fish and come in for a easy meal,
then all you have to do is scoop them up. You can just keep doing it over and over until you have enough.
last time i did it was pulling in 10 crawdad's at a time.

reading this post kind of makes me miss being down in OK. Grew up on sevaeral lakes,
Texas Lake Texhoma, Oklahoma, Grand Lake, Missouri Tablerock Lake. Some good fishing
in those lakes once you get to know them. Tons of rivers to catch fish in.
Here we hace Lake Como and Sealey Lake which are ok, but mainly just trout lakes. To cold for
bass or other fish. I hear Fort Peck has bass, but its the other side of the state, long way to drive
just to catch bass.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Prefer to catch my fish without using my own arm as bait, good old hook with some meat on it (worms and insects disgust me) or I am going to the fish market.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Actually in correct, Alaska does not have any snakes.. Spiders, gnats, mosquitoes (well rather F-16 sized blood sucking insects)
but no snakes. The only snakes we have here are so called pet snakes.. shudder...

Grim

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimmley

Hmm... Seems I have been ill informed. Thanks for that.

Although doing a little research I have discovered you guys may have the garter snake in south east Alaska. I guess they found one dead on a road lately. Doubtful it was a pet, as garter snakes don't do well at all in captivity and are generally a pain in the arse.

They are known to live in BC, very close to Alaska. Looks like they may be moving in...

Garter snakes actually have a high tollerance to cold as well. They can be found out in the snow.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

cease this foul blasphemy - the one true noodleling is the 1st devotion to the flying spaggetti monster - sticking your hand in a catfishes mouth is just idiocy [ and blasphemy ]

raise a bowl of the finest linguini to the exallted one - and this catfish nonsence will be forgiven

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Why would someone purposely use an arm for bait of a big fish
I'd rather hand fish for a trout under the banks of a stream...even then I worry about a trout nipping my finger

Oops...I've never done that I am just making this up Mr. conservation officer.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by severdsoul

Hey, I grew up fishing Table Rock! Love it up there! We used to jump off the "big kahuna" at Viney until they blocked it off on account of death.

65' straight down. Apparently there's a lot of trees down there and some pour soul found out the hard way. Beautiful lake! And thanks for the crawdad tip.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Things have to be pretty desperate for me to consider using my hand for bait!

There are lots of other ways to catch catfish (and even minor injuries in a SHTF scenario could be a catastrophe). Just my two cents.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
reply to post by Murgatroid

Sweet! Thanks for the videos.
Although I am curious about the advice of not going into the water if there are venomous snakes in your state. There are venomous snakes indigenous to 49 out of 50 states in the US. The lone exception is Hawaii. Venomous snakes are everywhere. Generally if you don't fuss with them they'll leave you alone. They don't eat hooman.

Could you help me out and tell me what venomous snake is native to Alaska, I grew up in that state and have never heard of one. Thanks

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

Hehe, I went in the woods all the time when I lived in Alaska, never saw a snake. Doesn't mean they aren't there, but I certainly never saw one.... I don't believe there are any native snakes (venomous or not) in Alaska. Of course, doesn't mean someone didn't release pets and then they bred. But native? I don't think so.

edit on 17-6-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

Yeah, it was pointed out above that there are no snakes in Alaska. I was ill informed. The climate is too harsh.

Although, as I mentioned earlier, the garter snake may be pushing into the southeast portion of the state. I don't really think that it's because snakes CANNOT live there, I just think they don't wanna. Kinda like me.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Yeah, I guess you got a point there about injuries in the wild. Although that's how the Native Americans used to do it.
I guess they were pretty savvy with natural remedies for things. A lot better than I am, for sure.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Anyone Know how to Noodle?
Oh ,I don't know if this will help you,

Pad See Ew is a Thai noodle dish that is made with broad, flat rice noodles, also known as "river noodles". Pad See Ew can be made with chicken, pork, or beef, but otherwise has the same basic ingredients. This noodle dish is truly Asian comfort food at its best; at the same time, Thai river noodles make a healthy and energy-giving lunch or dinner. This Pad See Ew recipe features marinated strips of beef and still-crisp broccoli for a nutritionally complete and oh-so-satisfying meal. ENJOY!
Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 12 minutes

Total Time: 32 minutes

Yield: SERVES 3-4

Ingredients:

2 lbs. fresh broad flat rice noodles (908 g.), available in the deli section or refrigerator of Asian food stores
1 egg
1-2 heads broccoli, chopped into florets
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 sirloin beef steak, sliced thinly into strips (OR equivalent)
2 Tbsp. oil, plus 1/4 cup sherry (OR chicken/beef broth) for stir-frying
MARINADE:
1 Tbsp. oyster sauce
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 heaping tsp. brown sugar
STIR-FRY SAUCE:
1 Tbsp. dark soy sauce
2 Tbsp. regular soy sauce
3 Tbsp. fish sauce
2 tsp. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. white pepper
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
GARNISH:
handful of fresh coriander
Preparation:

Stir together the simple marinade: oyster sauce, soy sauce, and brown sugar. Pour over the strips of beef and mix well. Set aside to marinate while you prepare the other ingredients.
If your fresh rice noodles came pressed together, take a few minutes to separate them (some may break or remain stuck together - this is normal). Note that if your rice noodles come direct from your refrigerator, it may help to very briefly microwave them before separating (see packet instructions).
Stir all the stir-fry sauce ingredients together in a cup and set near the stove.
Place a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add 2 Tbsp. oil and swirl around.
Add the garlic and briefly stir-fry until fragrant (30 seconds).
Add the beef (along with marinade) and stir-fry 2 minutes. Add a little sherry or broth whenever your wok/pan becomes dry - enough to keep ingredients stir-frying nicely.
Add the broccoli and continue stir-frying in the same way for 1 more minute.
Push ingredients aside and break the egg into the center of the wok or pan. Quickly stir-fry to cook the egg (like making scrambled eggs).
Add the noodles and pour the stir-fry sauce over. Using two utensils, gently lift and turn the noodles to mix with the other ingredients and the sauce (these noodles break easily). Noodles will gradually soften (about 2 minutes).
When noodles are soft, remove from heat. Taste-test for salt, adding more fish sauce until desired taste is achieved. Serve with Thai chili sauce on the side.
thaifood.about.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Yeah, I guess you got a point there about injuries in the wild. Although that's how the Native Americans used to do it.
I guess they were pretty savvy with natural remedies for things. A lot better than I am, for sure.

While yes, they were skilled in the living off of the land department, you also have to consider the average life span without modern medicine. Yes, they were savvy, but to risk injury like that without even a simple drug to prevent a wound from going septic? Just a bit foolish.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I think the key word there is average. I am conflicted on this issue, actually. Before the agricultural revolution people were far healthier than we are today. When we moved into cities our lifespans dropped considerably until we developed modern medicine.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by piequal3because14

Was that a troll attempt?

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
I was gonna post this question in general chit chat, but figured it would be a good topic for discussion in the survival forum.

For those who don't know, noodling is a very old catfishing technique where a person seeks out a catfish hole and uses his/her arm as bait for monster cats. It is a very dangerous endeavour, peopke die every uear noodling for fish.

So my question is, do we have any resident noodlers? I am gonna learn this summer and I am looking for tips. My plan so far...I will not dive to noodle. I intend to stay in 4' of water. I am undecided on whether or not to use gloves, and I am considering wearing a long sleeved button down shirt to slip off in case things go south on me.

I also do not plan on using two hands. I want one free to pull my diving knife if need be.

The reason I posted in Survival should be obvious. This fishing technique, once learned, will last a life time and can be used without any tackle.

I think anyone attemptng should also be sure to have at least two friends with them for safety reasons.

Any advice would be appreciated.

edit on 16-6-2013 by JayinAR because: (no reason given)

IT's not something I'd suggest...unless you're starving. It's hard to pull your arm back out of a catfish and they can drag you under the water. It's a dumb reason to lose your life. You never know how big they can get...I watched someone stick their hand in the mouth of a 66 lb catfish after it was out of the water for hours...it clamped down on his arm and he lost some skin trying to pull it back out. They had to eventually cut it's head off (it was dead and he must have triggered some kind of nerve)...he got a nasty infection.

NOT WORTH IT...NOT THAT FUN ANYWAY>

Besides...you can only noodle with the big ones and they are tough to eat anyway.
Some people here like to noodle...but I don't set foot in my river...they don't call it the Cape Fear River for nothing.

Gators...gators...gators and snakes.
No thanky.
edit on 17-6-2013 by AFewGoodWomen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by AFewGoodWomen

I appreciate the concern but this is a done deal. It is going down. I am not worried about dying.

A big cat may be able to over power me under water, but I promise it won't over power all three of us...with knives.
And yeah, I reckon I will get injured doing it, but that's just a part of it I guess.

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join