It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

14-year-old at the center of "NRA T-Shirt Controversy" now facing possibility of 1 year in jail

page: 6
41
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Turq1
 


I don't think that anyone is upset that schools have some sort of dress code, however the teacher in this particular incident took an otherwise non-issue and made it into one. From what I read the teacher was the instigator by making the initial scene over a t-shirt.

I for one was proud that the student body staged their own sort of protest and wore similar shirts to show their solidarity after the incident, but they also proved another point when those students were not harassed similarly by the faculty. It's almost as if the administrators realized they had an 'oh sh##' scenario on their hands already and decided to backpedal.




posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
What would easily settle this is .... what is the schools official dress code.

As far as obstruction the kid probably told the resource officer it stick it.... I would have too and I would support my son or daughter fully in this case as well.



posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I think the boy should be sentenced to wear a " I love Justin Bieber" T-shirt for six months...That'll teach him..



posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Turq1

Originally posted by roadgravel



Schools have dress codes end of discussion. This is actually promoting criminal behavior and the defenders do not see it. Break the rules and what don't go to jail why do we want to teach this?


Where is the state or federal law that states breaking a school dress code is a criminal offense.


You guys can't be this dense....

It has nothing to do with the clothes, it's the obstruction part that is a criminal offense.

He probably did talk his mouth off to the officer; He could have been a bit more prudent and kept the shirt on and there wouldn't be a criminal offense, but he was probably nervous when confronted by the officer and as a defense mechanism talked way too much and put up a stink. Hence, obstruction.

Smallest dogs can bark the loudest....something the dad might want to keep in mind.

And no, even if the case wasn't dismissed, he wouldn't be going to jail for any amount of time, just wouldn't realistically happen.
edit on 6/16/2013 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)


Yes, the point I was making was in response to dress code being a crime, which it is not.

Still overboard. Have a parent come and get the kid at school.



posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soloprotocol
I think the boy should be sentenced to wear a " I love Justin Bieber" T-shirt for six months...That'll teach him..


Nooooo... that would be cruel and unusual punishment!




posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Who on earth is standing as prosecution in a place like this? Anna* Wintour and her fashion police?

Jail for a T-shirt is too much. That's censorship of freedom of expression. I don't care if the person has images of nudity on the T-shirt, that's the only superficial way other people can identify if he or she is worth hanging around or not. Knives, guns, explosives, fighter jets, tanks, and the like is iconography of soldierism, an integral part of our nation's defense culture. They can ban the pants that show cheeks but the iconography banning is not right.

But if they must oppress and totalitarianate, how come they haven't censored wearing black socks with sandals yet? Send Uncle Herb to jail for a year instead. At least make the litigious persecution make sense.

*I have nothing against the editor... she'd never do that if it offended a designer...and it would offend them all to censor creativity in expression!



posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Whats the dresscode of this said school? Theres usually a dresscode in most schools.

Just because some kid trys to rebel and show off, doesnt mean hes allowed to,
while other kids are following school dress code rules.

But other than that, getting arrested, there most be more to the story.
edit on 16-6-2013 by aerial because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by skepticconwatcher
reply to post by MysterX
 



Oh, please. Don't pull that projection crap with me. I'm not the weak one. The kid was at school. He doesn't get to do as he pleases at school. Like I said, deliberately picking a fight to play the victim. Can't really blame the kid .He was obviously raised by a coward and an idiot. Like father, like son. I was raised to understand that if I pick a fight, I better be prepared to win it. I don't just go around deliberately trying to get in trouble with the establishment with the sole purpose of whining like a beech when I don't get my way.


No sympathy.


How the heck did your post get so many stars? You must have a lot of friend around here. You're going bonkers over a kid wanting to wear a shirt that does not offend anyone but political nuts. He has no criminal history at all. Your tone of voice makes you sound like a "coward and an idiot". The only reason I am attacking you personally is because you feel the need to attack someone else personally.



posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by skepticconwatcher
reply to post by Kreyvic
 


I'm not a male, don't ever insult me like that again. Personal attacks are not allowed here.




Oh, and the consensus means nothing to me because the source is full of useless testosterone.
edit on 16-6-2013 by skepticconwatcher because: (no reason given)


" Personal attacks are not allowed here."

How can you say that after calling another person all kinds of names? Because they're not on this board you can spout off at the lip and be as ignorant as you want? I wish that 14 year old and his pops were here to respond to your vial self. Its people like you that make my blood boil . . . telling other they need to shut up or act on things. WRONG! They're going about this the right way, like normal people should. They don't have to go ape # like you suggest.



posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel

Originally posted by Turq1

Originally posted by roadgravel



Schools have dress codes end of discussion. This is actually promoting criminal behavior and the defenders do not see it. Break the rules and what don't go to jail why do we want to teach this?


Where is the state or federal law that states breaking a school dress code is a criminal offense.


You guys can't be this dense....

It has nothing to do with the clothes, it's the obstruction part that is a criminal offense.

He probably did talk his mouth off to the officer; He could have been a bit more prudent and kept the shirt on and there wouldn't be a criminal offense, but he was probably nervous when confronted by the officer and as a defense mechanism talked way too much and put up a stink. Hence, obstruction.

Smallest dogs can bark the loudest....something the dad might want to keep in mind.

And no, even if the case wasn't dismissed, he wouldn't be going to jail for any amount of time, just wouldn't realistically happen.
edit on 6/16/2013 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)


Yes, the point I was making was in response to dress code being a crime, which it is not.

Still overboard. Have a parent come and get the kid at school.


Again, dress code is irrelevant. You can't verbally or physically for that matter, go off on an officer whatever the initial instigation was, whether the initial instigation you feel is right or wrong.



posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Physically assault an officer? Nope

Verbally lambasting? You certainly can.

en.wikipedia.org...


There is even precedent in place regarding school dress codes from the SCOTUS:

en.wikipedia.org...

Since the Tinker decision, the court has narrowed that holding by allowing school officials to prohibit student speech that is sexually explicit, lewd, or indecent, to regulate school-sponsored speech, and to ban student speech advocating illegal drug use.

But the core holding in the Tinker case remains unchanged: Schools may restrict student speech only if it interferes with or substantially disrupts school operations.
edit on 16-6-2013 by Lipton because:



posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lipton
reply to post by Turq1
 


I don't think that anyone is upset that schools have some sort of dress code, however the teacher in this particular incident took an otherwise non-issue and made it into one. From what I read the teacher was the instigator by making the initial scene over a t-shirt.




"Duh" as the saying goes the teacher was the instigator in that he/she pointed out it didn't conform to school dress code. You don't break the rules then have the person addressing that be the one causing the "initial scene" when the initial scene was you breaking the rules in the first place.



posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Wow, im kind of ashamed that this menial topic was the one that infuriated me so much it ended my lurking streak of along time lol. But people are really losing it. I even saw someone ask why someone who can not follow simple rules should be called a freedom fighter. What!? Thats how this country started and im sure the rules that were broken then were not simple . The fact that this even has 2 sides of an argument is a sad indicator of where were headed.
Someone also was crying about how this kid is a brat and how people do not back up issues they have . Well I for one believe this kid did do this to make waves, but when you have anissue thats what you do, make waves and hope people join the swim. This is why I hope im fortunate enough to home school any child I may have. So my son/daughter doesnt offend the sheltered children by wearing a shirt that IMO simply represents the support for the 2nd amendment of the constitution thst the school is probaly failing to teach. I know schools have different policies, but the fact that we let institutional rules negate our countries core laws is sad.
edit on 17-6-2013 by PeaceInFreedom23 because: proofread



posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Turq1

Originally posted by Lipton
reply to post by Turq1
 





"Duh" as the saying goes the teacher was the instigator in that he/she pointed out it didn't conform to school dress code. You don't break the rules then have the person addressing that be the one causing the "initial scene" when the initial scene was you breaking the rules in the first place.


Well then this particular school must be the only one known to man where there is no short shorts, gangsta' pants, ridiculous hair colors, cleavage revealed, profanity, tobacco or any other infractions in sight. A very model of education efficiency and this kid was a lone wolf, a loose cannon, mucking it all up with his violent and vulgar shirt.

You are purposefully dodging the very fact that this was politically motivated. The student wore a message and the NEA shill took the bait, justifying his actions with the dress code's catch all 'discretion'.
edit on 17-6-2013 by Lipton because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lipton

Originally posted by Turq1

Originally posted by Lipton
reply to post by Turq1
 





"Duh" as the saying goes the teacher was the instigator in that he/she pointed out it didn't conform to school dress code. You don't break the rules then have the person addressing that be the one causing the "initial scene" when the initial scene was you breaking the rules in the first place.


Well then this particular school must be the only one known to man where there is no short shorts, gangsta' pants, ridiculous hair colors, cleavage revealed, profanity, tobacco or any other infractions in sight. A very model of education efficiency and this kid was a lone wolf, a loose cannon, mucking it all up with his violent and vulgar shirt.

You are purposefully dodging the very fact that this was politically motivated. The student wore a message and the NEA shill took the bait, justifying his actions with the dress code's catch all 'discretion'.
edit on 17-6-2013 by Lipton because: (no reason given)


Again, that isn't relevant. Do whatever, but being tactless around a cop and you're asking for it.

Him going off on a cop is no one elses problem but his. Cop pulls you over and you think it's racially motivated and that gives you a free card to do whatever? Doesn't make a lot of sense. Mention that to the judge, they'll like that.
edit on 6/17/2013 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Just another example of the many people in America who have risen to positions of authority far above their level of incompetence, from the school personnel, to law enforcement, to the prosecutor who files and presses forward with a criminal charge on this, to the judge who lets it go forward.

Reminds me of the scene from the movie "The Sixth Sense" (Bruce Willis as dead guy) where the child star says something like "I see dead people. They . . . " I have a cartoon with a clever twist on this posted on my office door with this subtitle:

"I see dumb people. They're everywhere. They walk around like everyone else. They don't even know that they're dumb."

So true in this scenario and so far too often in today's America. Too little knowledge with too little understanding is a scary and dangerous thing.
edit on 6/17/2013 by dubiousone because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   
This is a disgusting misuse of authority and shows that we are in a police state where we can get censured for the most basic acts of expression! Where will Americans finally say enough of all the BS? The freedom to express ones self should not be censored anywhere but in a society where we are supposed to have more freedoms then any other,it is despicable! With so many people living with their heads up their asses we have allowed ourselves to become castrated by the power hierarchy! Without our ability to express ourselves we become PC automatons going about oblivious while we work, consume and play which is all the powers that be want from us!



posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Ok. When I was in Junior high School, which i guess is middle school now, i dunno it was grade 7 to 9 when I was there.... I was sent home for the day because I wore a MooseHead (local beer company) T-shirt to school, and when I was asked to change it, having no other shirt to replace it with, I was sent home. I also had a similar incident with jeans back when tearing holes in your jeans to patch them up was "in".

I'm not sure why you'd think a 14 year old kid has the right to anything while attending school. They don't. If the school deemed the shirt inappropriate, the kid should have changed, then went to the media and made a big stink about it. The school deeming the shirt inappropriate is fine and rational to me. The fact that it was a pro-nra gun is what has you all pissed, because any chance, perceived or real, to "defend your gun rights" must be taken, as loudly and obnoxiously as possible.

That sad, it's pretty damn pathetic it went as far as it did. Police? Really? The kid should have been suspended for the day if he refused to remove the shirt, end of story. Then he and his dad could have contact the local media, made a huge stink out of it, and everyone can feel great about "defending the constitution".

This is a clear example of the type of officer who shouldn't be wearing a badge.

But hold on for a damn second and realize this is a T-shirt. This isn't about gun rights, and it's not even about freedom of speech. Would you all be so rabbidly supporting a kid wearing a "anti-nra" t-shirt? Of course not, because he'd still be "attacking your rights" right? What about a kid coming to school wearing a pro-gay shirt, rainbow and all? Yeah, you'd have a few issues with that one and you know it. It's not about freedom of expression, it's about using kids to put forth your agenda.

When you are 14 years old, in 8th grade and attending school, you don't have the same expectations of rights as you would 1 foot off school property. You know it. I know it. Every damn kid going to school knows it.

It's my right to walk around naked, so I should be able to walk into school naked, and you trying to stop me is tramping my rights. That's essentially the argument.

The kid was in the right, he's a kid. The school was in the right to ask him to remove it, it's their job, I only wish they'd go after some of the whorish clothes I've seen on 14 year old girls, that in and of itself is a crime.

But everything that happened after that, the police, possible charges, that's freaking ridiculous.



posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Sandalphon
 





Jail for a T-shirt is too much. That's censorship of freedom of expression. I don't care if the person has images of nudity on the T-shirt, that's the only superficial way other people can identify if he or she is worth hanging around or not.


So you have no problem with a 14 year old boy walking around school wearing a t-shirt depicting fellatio then? See, it's easy to suggest this is about freedom of expression, but when you are a kid attenting school, you don't have such freedoms until the school day is done.

It's always been this way. If you want something to be angry about, be angry about kids being expelled for eating a chicken strip into the shape of a gun, be angry over kids being suspended for playing cops and robbers at lunch with sticks that look like guns.

But a kid, wearing a shirt his dad probably told him to wear, being asked to remove it, and creating a stink so smelly the cops got involved? Forget it. Yes, the cop is a douche and it's completely ridiculous, fact remains, a school is private property with it's own rules that your child has to follow while he/she attends school, it really is that simple.

Personally, I wouldn't have been distracted or offended by a pro-gun t-shirt, it's a shirt. But once johnny jackass starts screaming and making a scene, you can be your ass that's a distraction, and unfair to the other kids honestly trying to learn.

School is about learning, it's education, if you want political theater, join student council.



posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lipton
Physically assault an officer? Nope

Verbally lambasting? You certainly can.

en.wikipedia.org...


There is even precedent in place regarding school dress codes from the SCOTUS:

en.wikipedia.org...

Since the Tinker decision, the court has narrowed that holding by allowing school officials to prohibit student speech that is sexually explicit, lewd, or indecent, to regulate school-sponsored speech, and to ban student speech advocating illegal drug use.

But the core holding in the Tinker case remains unchanged: Schools may restrict student speech only if it interferes with or substantially disrupts school operations.
edit on 16-6-2013 by Lipton because:


Thankyou for bringing this up cause I believe that the Tinker care also refers to the freedom of expression!

WIKIPEDIA
The court observed, "It can hardly be argued that either students or teachers shed their constitutional rights to freedom of speech or expression at the schoolhouse gate."[2] Justice Abe Fortas wrote the majority opinion, holding that the speech regulation at issue in Tinker was "based upon an urgent wish to avoid the controversy which might result from the expression, even by the silent symbol of armbands, of opposition to this Nation's part in the conflagration in Vietnam."


In any case wearing a T-shirt even an NRA shirt can hardly be a promotion of violence and any sane person should realize this but this world IMHO has gone off the deep end and is seeing issues where there are none!
edit on 17-6-2013 by nosacrificenofreedom because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-6-2013 by nosacrificenofreedom because:




top topics



 
41
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

log in

join