It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

14-year-old at the center of "NRA T-Shirt Controversy" now facing possibility of 1 year in jail

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by WilsonWilson
reply to post by littled16

He was asked to turn it inside out and refused.
still doesnt warrent being arrested.

I agree refusing to turn the shirt inside out doesn't warrant being arrested. They should have called his parents and sent him home for refusing to do so. After seeing the shirt (sleeveless, rifle on front) I'm sure that it was completely against the school's dress code- it would have been even back when I was in school (graduated in '85). There was no need for police involvement, but nowadays the police are involved in all kinds of school silliness that used to be handled with detention. Strange days we live in.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

From reading other stories about it, it wasnt actually against the schools dress code.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
The school's dress code prohibits clothing and accessories that display profanity, violence, discriminatory messages or sexually suggestive phrases. They also ban items which display advertisements for any alcohol, tobacco, or drug product

this is what the dress code prohibited.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage
Schools have dress codes end of discussion. This is actually promoting criminal behavior and the defenders do not see it. Break the rules and what don't go to jail why do we want to teach this?

I dont agree with this at all.
there is a difference between dress codes and laws.

What are you some sort of Liberal who supports the ACLU???

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

Schools have dress codes end of discussion. This is actually promoting criminal behavior and the defenders do not see it. Break the rules and what don't go to jail why do we want to teach this?

My school had a dress code in the 80's in a VERY CONSERVATIVE STATE.

I wonder if you might be so kind as to define the criminal activity that shirt is promoting? To be technical about it...since it seems we must be anyway... That is a hunting rifle on the shirt and not an "Assault Rifle". The Camo patterning is one aspect. The scope (which makes normal aiming challenging if not impossible, depending on mounts) is another. The most telling thing is perhaps the short magazine in the well. They really do make "Hunting Legal" magazines to use with an AR-15 platform and that is what they look like.

When a shirt promoting the defense of Rights our nation is FOUNDED on becomes something which anyone can suggest as promoting criminal action? The law itself has become unconstitutional and by literal, outright definition.

Yup... They have dress codes...and if this violated that in clear terms? They had the right to ask him to turn it inside out....He had the right to tell them to shove it....and they then had every right to suspend him for that. I don't see where either side should ever have seen this carry into criminal charges with 1 year in a cell to follow.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by WilsonWilson

I do.

I do because I have been hearing, seeing and reading this stuff for almost two decades and its always the same thing. Now, it's either an act and people aren't really serious about what they say and are just using inflammatory rhetoric........ or they are cowards trying to rile other people up to act out because they are too *snip* to do it themselves.
edit on 16-6-2013 by Asktheanimals because: alt spellings of profanity removed

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

From reading other stories about it, it wasnt actually against the schools dress code.

Every school handbook I've ever seen has a clause in the dress code concerning "discretion". It allows the schools to decide if an item of clothing is in their opinion too distracting or too controversial for wearing to school, even if the item in question is technically within the dress code.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   

That is all well and good, and i dont deny the school could disaprove of the t-shirt and asked the boy be removed by his parents, having him arrested and threatened with a jail term is way over the top.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

erm no, i'm not really viewing this from a political point of view, more of a common sense one.
Should a child be arrested and threatened with prison for wearing a t-shirt.
to me the common sense answer is no.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by skepticconwatcher

I agree, they would not be working for the county when I was done ... I would shame them to hell and back while litigating them into bankruptcy!

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Yup... They have dress codes...and if this violated that in clear terms? They had the right to ask him to turn it inside out....He had the right to tell them to shove it....and they then had every right to suspend him for that. I don't see where either side should ever have seen this carry into criminal charges with 1 year in a cell to follow.

It will not go that far and you know it. The media is trying to make this shocking to garner attention he will not serve a day in jail. But I was trying to make a point where do you draw the line? It is funny how this falls under something the ACLU would handle but how conservatives rail on that until their liberties are infringed.

I just want people to really think about the freedoms of expression in schools anyone interested can familiarize themselves with the Tinker case

I actually got thrown out of school for violating the schools dress code for a dirty harry shirt "MAKE MY DAY". Back then this was handled by the school and didn't go to court. But had it I and my parents were advised to seek council from the ACLU. My Dad an avid hunter agreed that if I had no suspension to not wear the shirt to school.

Funny this would come up on Fathers Day...our last one was spent shooting the hell out of things...

So again I ask where do you draw the line? If you keep breaking the rules should you have any recourse?

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

In the UK contiued breaking of rules would lead to expulsion from school.
i assume you have something similar in the US?

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

He was asked to turn it inside out and refused.
still doesnt warrent being arrested.

I agree refusing to turn the shirt inside out doesn't warrant being arrested. They should have called his parents and sent him home for refusing to do so. After seeing the shirt (sleeveless, rifle on front) I'm sure that it was completely against the school's dress code- it would have been even back when I was in school (graduated in '85). There was no need for police involvement, but nowadays the police are involved in all kinds of school silliness that used to be handled with detention. Strange days we live in.

You are so right! Why are the schools calling police or using police tactics for disagreements in school policy? It seems that the police are not the education enforcers......

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

It will not go that far and you know it. The media is trying to make this shocking to garner attention he will not serve a day in jail.

I dont think the media made it shocking, i think it IS shocking that a child be arrested for wearing a t-shirt, that MIGHT have violated school dress policy.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

In the UK contiued breaking of rules would lead to expulsion from school.
i assume you have something similar in the US?

Absolutely, and once he was told to remove the shirt or turn it inside out his refusal would garner that action of suspension.

BUT! Here is the important part.

He then continued to refuse!

He refused to leave the school grounds...he refused to comply with the Staff! Finally the kid refused to follow the rules and then refused an Officer he was then arrested.

He is now upset by this?

He is not going to court for wearing the T-shirt...He is going to court for Refusing to co-operate with an Officer. PERIOD! Please anyone argue that with me...the charges are clear...and they ARE NOT ABOUT THE SHIRT!

But let the media spin this up that it has to do with the Shirt. Like I said I have been in this kids shoes so to speak and frankly I find it humorous that we want to reward this sort of behavior?
edit on 16-6-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage

My school had a dress code in the 80's in a VERY CONSERVATIVE STATE.

NO SLEEVELESS SHIRTS, NO SHIRTS PROMOTING WEAPONS it was enforced and you were sent home to change.

It was pretty much laid out. Refuse and get detention, further refuse and get kicked out of school. Civil disobedience has it's consequences.

Curious that all through the 80's when you were at school (and I), the US rhetoric was ALL about American rights and freedoms when rubbing the Soviet nose in it fighting the propaganda cold war. Strange how times change isn't it...the irony is that Americans would have had far more rights intact today if the cold war had continued.

They should have sent the boy home if he refused to take the shirt on his back off, those are the consequences of wearing clothes that don't agree with the school rules...arrested by cop, dragged off to a court of LAW (bloody hell) facing a potential prison term...ISN'T RIGHT.

You can't have it both ways. You can't break the rules and then justify them by your beliefs or qualify them with rights.

He wasn't acting on belief, you don't have to believe in anything that's a matter of fact, it just 'is'.

It's a fact that Gun ownership is a constitutional RIGHT.

It's a fact that the 2nd amendment is under concerted attack from your leftist / borderline fascist government and it's minions

It's a fact that peaceful public protest in America is a right and USED TO BE rightfully encouraged as a means of preserving the democratic principle, and keeping the power mongers honest. (as much as is possible anyway)

Since this is what the boy was doing wearing the shirt..you would have thought that in a country that made it's name and reputation around the world based on it's freedoms and rights of it's citizenry, in a place of education that is probably teaching the kids all about the American revolution and how great America and her freedoms are, one would imagine they would be praising and encouraging the boy for demonstrating this traditional action in a peaceful and very American way.

But no, he is arrested and charged with a crime. I hope the teachers are proud of themselves the next time they teach American history and espouse American freedoms.

I am curious for all the offended. Would it be ok if he wore a shirt that said

GO TALIBAN! and had a AK-47 on it? Or Promoting Terrorism?

If not why not? The same logic applies or do we pick and choose logic based on our beliefs?

Since you ask...it would be poor taste to wear a shirt saying 'Go Taliban'...but not illegal. It WOULD be illegal to wear a shirt actively promoting terrorism...and bad taste.

The US Government arming Terrorists in Afghanistan during the 1980's and arming and giving aid and comfort to the enemy during wartime (the war on terror..remember) in the form of Syrian terrorists it seems is absolutely fine though. (thought aiding the enemy was a treason charge punishable by the death penalty, but it seems not :@@

That's why not mate...it's illegal to promote murder, encourage people to commit a crime, or engage in Terrorism..standing up for long held and perfectly legal 2nd amendment RIGHTS isn't illegal,

Standing up for your rights is every Americans DUTY, as written in the constitution...reading a few of the responses here, seems a lot of you are more than happy to shirk your duty to your country and your freedoms...it's hardly surprising they are dissapearing faster than a snowball in hades.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by skepticconwatcher

ETA: Abeverage, just saw your posts. you are spot on.

I think some people need to do a little more research before coming to such....hostile conclusions.

HERE is a link to a photo of the shirt the boy wore. It says "protect your rights" and has a picture of an semi-automatic weapon.

I looked around fore more info, this was the best one I found:
article

The only additional info it gives is that the boy got into an argument about the t-shirt, and apparently continued to argue with school cop when he arrived because of the original fight with the teacher. He was arrested for disturbing the educational process.

Okay....the school has stringent dress codes, and sounds like they obviously thought he was in violation of it. Thing is, when he returned to school after his suspension, guess what he was wearing? Yup, the same t-shirt. (along with other students to show their support)

So there is a lot of info missing from this. Too much, IMO to really give much of an opinion on it.

Based on what we DO know, it would seem that boy wore a shirt that the teacher found in violation of dress code and he got in an argument with them about it, and then with the officer. He was suspended. When he returned, he again wore the shirt. I understand about rights and all, but there is also a thing called respect. For the teacher, for the classroom, for the school, for law enforcement. If he really felt his rights were being violated, there was a much better way to handle this. Comply, don't make a scene and take it to the school board. Take it to the local paper and really address the issue at hand, rather than just be a disruption.

The whole thing is stupid, IMO.
edit on 16-6-2013 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-6-2013 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysterX

I am curious for all the offended. Would it be ok if he wore a shirt that said

GO TALIBAN! and had a AK-47 on it? Or Promoting Terrorism?

If not why not? The same logic applies or do we pick and choose logic based on our beliefs?

Since you ask...it would be poor taste to wear a shirt saying 'Go Taliban'...but not illegal. It WOULD be illegal to wear a shirt actively promoting terrorism...and bad taste.

The US Government arming Terrorists in Afghanistan during the 1980's and arming and giving aid and comfort to the enemy during wartime (the war on terror..remember) in the form of Syrian terrorists it seems is absolutely fine though. (thought aiding the enemy was a treason charge punishable by the death penalty, but it seems not :@@

That's why not mate...it's illegal to promote murder, encourage people to commit a crime, or engage in Terrorism..standing up for long held and perfectly legal 2nd amendment RIGHTS isn't illegal,

Standing up for your rights is every Americans DUTY, as written in the constitution...reading a few of the responses here, seems a lot of you are more than happy to shirk your duty to your country and your freedoms...it's hardly surprising they are dissapearing faster than a snowball in hades.

I am curious to see all the Brits in here...

And I would like to remind them if it weren't for a few that were branded "Terrorists" known as the Sons of Liberty this conversation might be very different. BUT THIS IS NOT THE POINT I was trying to make.

Look anyone who knows me knows I rarely side with Johnny Law (if ever) and actually I am not. We do not know the history with this school or this kid. I also SUPPORT Gun ownership! 100%!

The T-shirt is an red-herring...It wouldn't have mattered what shirt he wore and WOULD NOT HAVE MADE NEWS but it has a Gun on it. If it had been the one I posted and he was asked to remove it what would be the argument? There wouldn't be one!

That was my point...

That kid has his rights intact to wear his shirt any where but the school! But he violated the other students rights by his continual refusal. Then he continued until the resource officer was called in. AND OBVIOUSLY continued until he was arrested. This is a silly distraction and again a waste of our Judicial system...
edit on 16-6-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
This makes me laugh, NRA shirt? Really? I used to wear Slayer and Megadeth and Metallica shirts, all with offensive imagery of mass graves, skeleton in combat uniform and a bunch of satanic imagery ala Dante's Inferno.....was I ever suspended or asked to turn it inside out? Nope, and I was in PA around WV in that neck of the woods as one can say while doing that....I guess people have become wimps in WVA today, at least the ones that teach in the schools might as well be considered losers if they get offended by an NRA shirt, a bunch of crybabies that can't hack it in the real world I suppose.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join