It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

14-year-old at the center of "NRA T-Shirt Controversy" now facing possibility of 1 year in jail

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

14-year-old at the center of "NRA T-Shirt Controversy" now facing possibility of 1 year in jail

www.wowktv.com

Suspended and arrested after refusing to change his NRA shirt. Today, 14-year-old Jared Marcum appeared before a judge and was officially charged with obstructing an officer.

A $500 fine and up to a year in jail, that's the penalty that Jared could face, now that a judge has allowed the prosecution to move forward with it's obstructing an officer charge against him.

"Me, I'm more of a fighter and so is Jared and eventually we're going to get through this," Jared's father Allen Lardieri
(visit the link for the full news article)

+25 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
First of all to punish an eighth grader for wearing an NRA shirt is nothing more than a free speech issue and is not legal.

Then some school resource officer claims it is obstruction because the kid did not quit talking when ordered to do so!

Your kidding me? charge someone with obstruction for talking? How did the kid talking stop the officer from arresting him? Is it now obstruction not to bow to every demand of the boys in blue?

Logan County, WV is not some liberal bastion either but there are morons everywhere...

"official court documents from both sides of this case. On one hand, the arresting officer from the Logan City Police Department, James Adkins, claims that when Jared refused to stop talking, that hindered his ability to do his job, hence, the obstruction charge. On the other side, Ben White points out that nowhere in the arresting officer's petition, does it mention Jared ever making any threats or acting in a violent manner."

www.wowktv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 16-6-2013 by fnpmitchreturns because: clarify

+27 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Wow.... There is a major punk in the story here, but it's not the 14yr old this time and it's sure not by wearing a shirt.

I'd say the first worthless punk was the school staff member who figured a T-shirt was worth making a big deal about in the first place if it didn't contain vulgar or patently offensive content (Guns are part of society..always will be..they need to get the hell over it). The second one was some old fart resource officer who is on a power trip to make an astronaut feel like they didn't go far on theirs.

I guess when you're such a pathetic screw up for a cop, the only duty left to trust you with is 'Kiddie Cop', abuse at even THAT level should be expected. It's a very very pathetic state of affairs we've reached when a Teen can be made a convicted criminal for the horrible offense of BEING A KID.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Why does something tell me a law firm will get a hold of this case and shove the legal details right through to a bunch of punitive action against the prosecutors. Including a suit against the magistrate. One attorney, or one firm and bash, boom....to the moon...

link   
Like his Ole Man said
It's ridiculous to have even gotten this far

I have a funny feeling
it will be dropped ...

they are just trying to
figure how to do it quietly now

link   
That is really unbelievable.

In all directions..first demanding he remove his t-shirt, it's his and his parents right to dress how they like, provided it's not vulgar or contains illegality.

Then to go on a face off / power trip because the teen refuses the unreasonable demands, leading to an assault on the boy, and false arrest.

Then to cap it all off, the go ahead is given to prosecute the boy and his family for failing to not strip off his clothing when told to.

What the HELL is going on in America???!!!

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

I think people do things on purpose to pick a fight or start something with the establishment and then when they get a response they piss their pants and start playing the victim. It's getting very old and very lame. I hold no sympathy for such people because all I see are cowards looking to use something to get others riled up to challenge a system that they are too chickenshhht to effectively challenge themselves. You don't like the so called heavy hand of the so called police state? Do something about it or shut up and quit wasting time looking like a weak whinny little brat. I'm not talking to the OP, I'm talking to the kid and his daddy. I'm sick of hearing things like this where the so called victims don't do anything about what they claimed happened. I don't want to hear it any more. if you're big and bad and rough and tough, then why the hell are you coming to us whining like a lil boy? Go on and be big and bad coward.

edit on 16-6-2013 by skepticconwatcher because: (no reason given)

+33 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by skepticconwatcher

What are you on about?

The Tshirt choices of teenagers is NOT a legal matter, refusing to remove your clothing when there is NO legal compulsion to do so is your right.

It's absurd that you claim otherwise, frankly you and people who hold similar weak-kneed attitudes are what is driving America into the ground.

Walking along smiling isn't illegal either...if the cop arrested the boy for smiling when told not to, i expect you'd have a pop at the boy for not looking miserable enough.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

Oh, please. Don't pull that projection crap with me. I'm not the weak one. The kid was at school. He doesn't get to do as he pleases at school. Like I said, deliberately picking a fight to play the victim. Can't really blame the kid .He was obviously raised by a coward and an idiot. Like father, like son. I was raised to understand that if I pick a fight, I better be prepared to win it. I don't just go around deliberately trying to get in trouble with the establishment with the sole purpose of whining like a beech when I don't get my way.

No sympathy.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   

I think the whole problem is the fact we've reached a point in society where the wearing of a T-shirt can be termed 'picking a fight' on any level. Unless a shirt had one of the 7 sinful words or a puppy being run clean over or some horrible thing....T-Shirts were just something people wore and messages on them got laughs, sighs or comments encouraging the wearer to get a life...at worst. It's a hell of a way to get a criminal record as the event to start it all.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
A 14-year old *snip*, goes to School wearing a T-Shirt which basically says "I want my right to carry my semi-automatic to school".

What an obnoxious *snip* ... basically, there should be a law to arrest parents, for raising up their kids to be obnoxious *snip*. And let me tell ya, the world is full of these *snip* . it actually speaks for a legislation that parenthood should be taken away from moms, and put in the hands of the state.

The cop had no other means to arrest the kid ... so, they pulled out a "Al Capone" trick out of their magic hat. Of course, the officer is an idiot. He should have the common sense, of treating this case with some more elegance.

Neither party is innocent in this case.
edit on 16-6-2013 by Asktheanimals because: Mod edit

+13 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Is wearing clothes picking a fight?
is talking obstucting an officer?
is either of these 2 things worthy of being fined or given a jail sentence, or having a criminal record at 14?
No it's horrendous that the law has been used to attack a 14 year old fashion choice.
And being arrested for talking? thats scary.

I dont think the father is a coward, he's obviouslt taught his son to stand up for himself, in a non violent manner.
i think thats something he can be proud of.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

+12 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by bjarneorn

When did wearing a shirt carrying the logo of an organization that has been a part of the very fabric of our nation across the last 100+ years...equate to carrying a high power gun onto campus???

If a student wears a T-shirt with the ACLU logo, should we assume they are supporting the right of grown men to have sex with little boys ...just because the ACLU represented NAMBLA cases on 1st Amendment free speech grounds??

That connection takes ...deliberate work to form an agenda which wasn't even there, IMO.
edit on 16-6-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Every time I read something like this I am so encouraged that the big issues facing the country have been resolved and now the little issues are being addressed. The big issues are resolved, correct? I suppose the answer to that last question depends upon whether a person is a Congressman or a citizen.
edit on 6/16/2013 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

No, I think the whole problem is that the men of this country are not being men. They are being chidish little boys. Throwing fits about what they can't wear, say, hang out, sect. But never, ever, ever, ever, acting on it. Yet, they are the fighters, the defenders, the protectors of the constitution and freedom, yet they never act. Only talk, write and whine.

That.......... is the only problem that I see.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

A 14-year old prick, goes to School wearing a T-Shirt which basically says "I want my right to carry my semi-automatic to school". What an obnoxious prick
reply to post by bjarneorn

Please..spare us your obnoxious hum drum. We wore NRA clothing all the time in High School.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I can see why they might think it was inappropriate for school wear.
I dont understand how it's got to the point of the boy being arrested for talking.
Surely if the school has a rule aginst certain clothing, which would be fine, they should just have got his parents to remove him from school.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Kreyvic

I'm not a male, don't ever insult me like that again. Personal attacks are not allowed here.

Oh, and the consensus means nothing to me because the source is full of useless testosterone.
edit on 16-6-2013 by skepticconwatcher because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

wtf are you on about..seems to me the kid stood his ground by refusing to remove his shirt and taking a charge..should he have started throwing fists?..i must be stupid as i dont understand your logic
welcome to the police state where anyone can be arrested for whatever reason they make up

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join