It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Body-Double: Lifelike Android Demoed at Futuristic Conference

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Hiroshi Ishaguro director of the Intelligent Robotics Laboratory at Osaka University, Japan, unveiled his extremely humanlike robot yesterday at the Global Futures 2045 International Congress.

I cant find a video of the robot being demoed at the conference but here is a short video from last year -

I dont know about everyone else but I find these life-like robots very creepy. It kind of freaks me out.

Link

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

It's well known that as animation and animatronics approach a certain level of realism they start to loose their harmless charm and become creepy to us on a basic psychological level. It's called the Uncanny Valley

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Reminds me of the movie Surrogates. LoL

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Subject covered many times already here at ATS. Search feature is your friend.

Thanks for taking the time to rewrite the bad article with no video you found on your Yahoo homepage.

Since you did do maybe 10 minutes of "research" for this thread, how about you spend 20 more and find out if video wasn't allowed? Or was it a "stock photo" with the Yahoo/LiveScience article?

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by freedom12

Thanks for taking the time to rewrite the bad article with no video you found on your Yahoo homepage.

Since you did do maybe 10 minutes of "research" for this thread, how about you spend 20 more and find out if video wasn't allowed? Or was it a "stock photo" with the Yahoo/LiveScience article?

well if you have ever used the search feature then you will know that it doesnt work out all the time

thanks for stopping by to be plain rude
by the way do you take your own advice ?

look here

edit on 16-6-2013 by Lady_Tuatha because: typo

oh and here
edit on 16-6-2013 by Lady_Tuatha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Android development is nothing compared to Clone/Drones (like in Star warz) That would be sick!

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
So if you don't like it because you think it may be a sign that robots will one day "replace" us then you're just imagining your fear because of the uncanny valley?

So if it looks/acts real I will warmly accept the human-robot? I'm sorry, but I think if it looks or acts real people would be even more afraid, since it could potentially replace us.

I'm serious too. They will model the human brain. They will simulate a human very well. It will be so close that any difference you noticed would be rooted in prejudice, not awareness.

Right now the goal isn't to model a human so much as it's to create industrial servants. But as we learn more, the knowledge we gain can be applied to making more human-like robots.
edit on 16-6-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lady_Tuatha

well if you have ever used the search feature then you will know that it doesnt work out all the time

look here

oh and here

Wow buddy!

So you did your "research" this time?

I see you posted 2 threads I "authored" , but once again, failed to read them or comprehend what was going on. I'll try to spell it out for you-

Both those threads were made as jokes to poke fun of MULTIPLE threads being created on same subject

files.abovetopsecret.com...

Above image is the 2nd post in the first thread of mine and a prime example of this.

Second thread is more of the same and shut down for same reason.

I hope that helps. Maybe try caffeine?

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lady_Tuatha

look here

oh and here

Wow buddy!

So you did your "research" this time?

I see you posted 2 threads I "authored" , but once again, failed to read them or comprehend what was going on. I'll try to spell it out for you-

Both those threads were made as jokes to poke fun of MULTIPLE threads being created on same subject

files.abovetopsecret.com...

Above image is the 2nd post in the first thread of mine and a prime example of this.

Second thread is more of the same and shut down for same reason.

I hope that helps. Maybe try caffeine?

Oh really?

You make threads just to poke fun at others?

what about this one?

Please stop trying to derail this thread, if you have nothing on topic to say I suggest you move along

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

I would love, and I mean LOVE to have a robot replace me. It could go to work for me, complete all my housework, and do unmentionable things to the old man that I don;t want to ever do. Sure I might have to charge the robot up and give it a break, but it's not like I am slaving it since it isn't a living creature. I cannot even afford a Roomba so this is only a pipe dream for me. Hell I do not even have a blender!

Nice burn BTW.
Sick of rude people on here acting like forum police rather than contributing.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Awe these robots aren't creepy at all! They are adorable actually.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

gosh no! lol

I think those ones are quite scary also, especially the eyes! good video
thanks,

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   

I find the android to be very impressive in its animatronic control, and the dedication in design that was required to build it. However, I wonder what its capabilities are in terms of self awareness, in terms of its ability to determine its own actions, its words.

I also find it interesting that the robot expert who created this android in his own image, did not realise the contradiction in his own philosophy, which his creation represents. His comments about the soul, and the way the Japanese relate to the concept were expected of course, and I have always found that facet of the Japanese culture to be exciting and interesting from an outsiders perspective, and understandable from a futurological point of veiw. However in creating an andriod facsimile of himself, he is attempting to recreate not just the appearance of himself, but himself.

Surely every soul is unique? In making the outer skin of this android in his exact image, he displays a desire for his double to be a replica of himself, but surely the real challenge in his field would be to create an android which exhibits its own soul, in its own way?

In any case, the creation is a marvel in and of itself, and I cannot wait to see how this technology progresses. I personally do not find the android "creepy". I find it amazing, inspiring, if a little stylistically challenged, and despite the obvious contradiction in its conception, one of the most interesting things I have seen or read about in a great while.

Thank you, Lady_Tuatha for posting this thread, and making me aware of yet another way that the world, and the exploits of the human race, continue to be an interesting thing to be a part of!

top topics

join