It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clouds stop moving?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   
For the last few days the clouds have stopped moving when I first look up at them. This anomaly can last up to three seconds. While the clouds are stopped I am aware of my heartbeat. Can anyone explain this? Does it happen to you?

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Its God showing you a sign !!
Repent and pray and they will move again

(I got possessed by colbe)

Dunno dude maybe the wind stopped blowing for a mo

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by jiggerj

Its God showing you a sign !!
Repent and pray and they will move again

(I got possessed by colbe)

Dunno dude maybe the wind stopped blowing for a mo

Not the wind. I can experience this every time. Try it? Go outside and sit on the porch while looking down. Then look off to the right or left where clouds are moving. It's better if there's a tree branch or a house chimney in your view, so you can see that the clouds stop approaching it for a moment or two. I really think it has to do with the heartbeat or something physical.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

It's an interesting effect, isn't it?

Basically this is an illusion of determining perspective and reference points. It derives from the length of time we need to focus on the clouds then focus on a fixed reference point, then back on the clouds again, then compare and determine their movement. We do it unconsciously, but that's pretty much the way it works. It's the same if we're at a beach and a larger ship is sailing along quite far offshore at a low rate of knots.

The slower the object is moving relative to the fixed reference point (especially horizontally and maintaining the same distance from us), the longer it can take us to detect any movement at all. When an object is receding or coming closer we mainly employ perceived change in relative size. If it's coming straight at us (or moving directly away from our line of sight) and is very slow, it can take even longer to realize that it's moving at all.

However, I'm not sure how noticing your own heartbeat ties in, except that it suggests you have a rather peaceful environment without any other major distractions.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Ever looked at a clock-face and thought that time stopped for about a second
I suspect there is some hogwash about relative perspective and observer etc. but I don't reckon I know much about it.

edit on 16-6-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

It is about relative perspective and it's not hogwash. It's just the way we are. We take some time to process what we see, and the rate varies from person to person, situation to situation, and even how alert and undistracted we are by other things around us.

It's very similar to the perception of time depending on what we're doing. We are deeply engrossed in something and quite often the time seems to fly by. But if (for example) we're in a doctor's waiting room and there's just a clock on the wall and a pile of ancient National Geographics (if we're lucky), the time drags by. We all know that in reality it doesn't, but we perceive it differently.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

However, I'm not sure how noticing your own heartbeat ties in, except that it suggests you have a rather peaceful environment without any other major distractions.

Very informative.Thanks.

Just went out and stared at the clouds above a tree. Without even looking away the clouds stop and start, stop and start. And yes, my heartbeat does seem to play a role in it, but no idea why.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by JustMike
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

it's not hogwash

I was being facetious, buddy

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I believe its to do with references in the same viewing angle. When you see land and the clouds are at the top of your vision they seem to move against the background but when you look up and loose the land you cant reference the movement against anything but the blue sky above.

This is also why the moon looks so much better when its rising or setting.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Interesting. Question comes to mind: how do you know the clouds stop and start if you are not measuring them against any frame of reference by looking at something that's not moving?

Not being facetious, btw. Just curious. Makes me wonder if you are having some odd atmospherics there. Could be, I guess.

EDIT: just a moment, I just tried something. I stared out the window at the clouds and tried not to look at anything else. And yes, the clouds appear to stop and start, stop and start.

What happens here is that in spite of ourselves, our eyes focus on the clouds, then refocus on (eg) the window frame, then back at the clouds. The more you try to force yourself not to look at anything else, the more "jerky" the clouds' movement becomes. It's quite cool. Your eyes will not normally allow you to do this for long and so after a second or two, they'll focus on something else then back at the clouds. It's simply the way our eyes do things.

Here's another you can try. Watch a waterfall, but instead of just watching "all" of it, focus on one "part" of the falling water at the very top and follow it all the way down, then look up to the top and repeat and so on. It's an amazing effect, where you are doing the opposite of the above with the clouds.

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha
[snipped my own quote]
I was being facetious, buddy

My mistake!
Sorry, mate. I need more coffee. If I'd noticed your name first I probably would have twigged to what you meant.

edit on 16/6/13 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Yeah I get this strange sensation of the rain falling horizontally and I am aware the sound of nagging in my ears. Then I realise I was drunk had fallen over and the wife was there.

Cody

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   
You won't buy this .. but I'll tell you anyways

Back in 1991 I went to Medjugorje Yugoslavia. I was on a mountain top with about a thousand other people (literally ... probably a thousand) and we were all in prayer. The sky had little white fluffy clouds in it and lots of open patches. When we were praying, the clouds came together from all parts of the sky ... moving from all four corners of the sky and against winds to come right over us and form a perfect donut shape. It took about 5 minutes for them to do this. They held together for 5 minutes. Then, they broke apart and went back to their opposite corners of the sky.

This was during an apparition of Mary in Medjugorje. The clouds behaved this way during the apparition.

Knowing how you've posted elsewhere, you wont' believe it. But I swear it's true ....

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Very informative.Thanks.

Just went out and stared at the clouds above a tree. Without even looking away the clouds stop and start, stop and start. And yes, my heartbeat does seem to play a role in it, but no idea why.

Human mind is mysterious thing, its a mindtrick or something. You "believe" that clouds act like that, and then it visualizes.

Maybe its the same thing like when you watch the moon for a long time, it appears to become closer and closer, kinda scary

edit on 16-6-2013 by Thebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Interesting. Question comes to mind: how do you know the clouds stop and start if you are not measuring them against any frame of reference by looking at something that's not moving?

I have a huge tree that I keep in site, and watch the clouds stop and start over it. Let me be clear, I know it's not the clouds doing this; it's my sight. I didn't want to say this, but I made this thread because I feared something was wrong with me, and that my eyes were a symptom of some kind. If our eyes are like video cameras, then I was afraid that mine were on the fritz. You have helped dispel this theory. Thank you.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Thebel

Human mind is mysterious thing, its a mindtrick or something. You "believe" that clouds act like that, and then it visualizes.

LOL No, I didn't believe. I didn't even know it could happen before it happened. If it's a mind trick, then doesn't that mean my brain is stuttering when it comes to my sight? It's like my eyesight is a video camera that pauses for a second or two in accordance with my heartbeat. I dunno. Why would I only notice this now after looking at clouds for 58 years?

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by cody599
Yeah I get this strange sensation of the rain falling horizontally and I am aware the sound of nagging in my ears. Then I realise I was drunk had fallen over and the wife was there.

Cody

YOU SOB! I had a mouthful of coffee when I read this. Seeing it was you I already started laughing and choking before I finished reading.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
You won't buy this .. but I'll tell you anyways

Back in 1991 I went to Medjugorje Yugoslavia. I was on a mountain top with about a thousand other people (literally ... probably a thousand) and we were all in prayer. The sky had little white fluffy clouds in it and lots of open patches. When we were praying, the clouds came together from all parts of the sky ... moving from all four corners of the sky and against winds to come right over us and form a perfect donut shape. It took about 5 minutes for them to do this. They held together for 5 minutes. Then, they broke apart and went back to their opposite corners of the sky.

This was during an apparition of Mary in Medjugorje. The clouds behaved this way during the apparition.

Knowing how you've posted elsewhere, you wont' believe it. But I swear it's true ....

I'm not that rigid, Flyer. If you say it happened, then it must have happened. Why would you lie? My only argument would be in the reason why you think it happened. There are lots of mysteries that we haven't solved yet, but when solved we will find a logical and very natural explanation for it.

I have clogged veins throughout my body. After watching so many clips on quantum waves (and believing that we are MADE of them) when I go to bed at night I try to imagine that I can control the quantum waves around me. I make them enter my body and replace all the bad stuff with new stuff. It's a silly thing, and I'm pretty sure it's not working, but I still try. It's not metaphysical, but it's probably not logical either.
edit on 6/16/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
It's the same as "Justmike" says. I first noticed it when i was a kid, i thought i had some magical powers LOL . I used to lay on my back in the park looking at the clouds, and they seemed to stop for about 3 or 4 seconds then start again, i still do it now, and i'm nearly 60.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
For the last few days the clouds have stopped moving when I first look up at them. This anomaly can last up to three seconds. While the clouds are stopped I am aware of my heartbeat. Can anyone explain this? Does it happen to you?

Sounds like you are good a killing time.

Just kidding-- I don't know. I just tried it and it didn't work for me. Play with it. See if you can make them 'stay stopped' for longer.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Someone said COFFEE!!!

*sip*

c(_)

Not sure about the cloud thing, but am reading with interest.
Seems JustMike had a good explanation.

If it is tied into your heartbeat, I would pay attention to make sure it is not a medical issue of some kind.[
Especially if this is a new experience, could be high blood pressure or something along those lines?
I just read about your clogged arteries. I would be really careful jigger, maybe go see a doctor and get checked out to make sure you are not having the beginning of a stroke or something bad.

It is kind of concerning being it is a new experience and you have medical issues already that you know of.

edit on 16-6-2013 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join