It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weed killer found in human urine across Europe

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I see they got their cheaters over there also. Change the name and formula a tiny bit and reintroduce it...Just as dangerous but nobody is aware. These companies have got so crooked all over the world that noone can stop their deceit.

Just change the formula a little so that as soon as it hits organic matter it turns into a banned substance. No liability, noone can prove that they intended for this to happen, in fact, maybe some in the controling government unit are aware of how it works. A little $$$ in the back pocket goes a long way.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
An ATS member (Phage) told me in another thread that herbicides (such as round-up) are also used on non-GMO crops.

Therefore, it isn't simply the GM crops that people should be worried about. However, he also stated that there has been a decline in the use of insecticides (meaning a net reduction in the use of pesticides).

Glyphosate is not needed for GM foods but because there are glyphosate tolerant GMOs it can be used with them with less difficulty than with other crops. There are herbicides which are more dangerous than glyphosate which are used on non-GMO crops. But, in the case of corn (the largest GMO crop), the use of herbicides and pesticides has decreased since the their introduction. Overall there has been an increase in the use of herbicides (when cotton and soy are included) but there has been a greater decrease in the use of insecticides. A net reduction of pesticides applied per acre.

Here is what he said.
edit on 16-6-2013 by SpeachM1litant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I'm in the UK.
All our local authorities (the councils) regularly spray our pavements (footpaths) with SOMETHING

I asked a guy who was spraying our pavements what he was doing.
His reply "Keep well back mate, this # aint good for you"
I still dont know what it is but it may well be the weedkiller in the OP.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeachM1litant
An ATS member (Phage) told me in another thread that herbicides (such as round-up) are also used on non-GMO crops.

Therefore, it isn't simply the GM crops that people should be worried about. However, he also stated that there has been a decline in the use of insecticides (meaning a net reduction in the use of pesticides).

Glyphosate is not needed for GM foods but because there are glyphosate tolerant GMOs it can be used with them with less difficulty than with other crops. There are herbicides which are more dangerous than glyphosate which are used on non-GMO crops. But, in the case of corn (the largest GMO crop), the use of herbicides and pesticides has decreased since the their introduction. Overall there has been an increase in the use of herbicides (when cotton and soy are included) but there has been a greater decrease in the use of insecticides. A net reduction of pesticides applied per acre.

Here is what he said.

Okay, from what I can see in this thread, there is a lot of ignorance to what Glyphosate and other herbicides / pesticides are used for and how they relate to GMO crops. Let's put this to bed once and for all, so that we can differentiate between emotive name calling at Monsanto and genuine concern over what this spray does.

Glyphosate is a broad spectrum herbicide i.e. it is a weedkiller that kills almost every plant it is sprayed on - there are now some plants that are now naturally glyphosate resistant. Here is an article from Australia on glyphosate resistant weeds glyphosateresistance.org.au...

Some GMO crops are marketed as being 'Roundup ready' (roundup being a glyphosate product) These have been genetically modified to be resistant to roundup so that it can be sprayed when the plants are young and all the weeds will be killed off but the crop plant i.e maize, sorghum, wheat etc etc will be the only survivor. It is the general aim of when planting a crop to have a monoculture i.e only one type of plant present. This is to stop anything else undesirable ending in our foods and to stop the spread of the seeds from weeds when harvesting the crop.

Roundup and glyphosate is also used for general weed control i.e. you can spray it on your garden at home to kill unwanted grass, weeds etc it is used on dairy and meat farms to spray out fields that will be cultivated for feed crops for animals prior to cultivation - we did this every year on the dairy farm we had. So it's use is far from exclusive to GMO cropping. Read the label off the roundup renew link below and see the description of what it is used for yourselves;

Link to Roundup renew MSDS sheet (currently on sale in NZ) www.nufarm.co.nz...

Pesticides on the other hand are a real worry. These are sprays targeted at insects, not plants - they are what is believed to be what's causing the bee population decline and other beneficial insects in the environment. DDT is one such pesticide and when it was first released it was considered a miracle of science and so safe that one could dust a baby's crib with it to kill siverfish etc.

DDT link www.theglobalmail.org...

Pesticides is the spray that we should all be freaking out about, as they are far more toxic and have proven ill heath effects, where Glyphosate toxicity at this point is purely speculative. I'm not saying that I believe that it is not toxic to humans, I am just saying that pesticides are and we should be more worried about them.

One of the many aims of GMO is to give the plants themselves semi natural resistance to pest insect like army worm in corn so that these highly toxic sprays are no longer needed. GMO foods are not intended to be harmful and my own personal concern is the lack of testing that has been carried out to prove they are safe as a healthy pest and disease resistant plant does not instantly mean that it is a healthy food for us to eat. Not yet anyway.
edit on 16-6-2013 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Ooh Thanks Monsanto!

Weed killer! MY Favorite!!!....

Some businesses will not be allowed to exist on this planet soon...

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
That's interesting...
I'm not going to lie though, but when I first saw this thread the first thing that hit my head was a detox formula for our smoking friends, lol. I was thinking, whoops! somebody sold a bad batch of detox and now PO's and Jobs are finding it in these peoples urine....Glad to know that's not the case, but still a bad thing considering the nature of this thread.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
I'm in the UK.
All our local authorities (the councils) regularly spray our pavements (footpaths) with SOMETHING

I asked a guy who was spraying our pavements what he was doing.
His reply "Keep well back mate, this # aint good for you"
I still dont know what it is but it may well be the weedkiller in the OP.

To put in perspective the chances of the weedkiller being used was glyphosate here is a list of most herbicides that are out there.

www.uky.edu...

Some councils use the very eco friendly method of steam spraying - they spray pressurised steam at the plant and it burns them to death. There are no harmful residues or chemicals left over from this practice

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by markosity1973
Okay, from what I can see in this thread, there is a lot of ignorance to what Glyphosate and other herbicides / pesticides are used for and how they relate to GMO crops. Let's put this to bed once and for all, so that we can differentiate between emotive name calling at Monsanto and genuine concern over what this spray does.

Good luck with that.

Just did a count. Excluding my and your postings, the name "Monsanto" has been mentioned 31 times, and GMO crops have been mentioned 35 times.

This, despite the fact that glyphosate is a widely available product made by a whole bunch of people, used everywhere, sold at your local supermarket, and has *nothing* to do with either Monsanto or GMO foods.

Its almost like ATS users arent interested in facts.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
The primary reason you would find glyphosate in urine is because it is a SALT...the body excretes salts through urination...it is glycine and phosphonates...

All plant killers are salt based, as far as I know...

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

This, despite the fact that glyphosate is a widely available product made by a whole bunch of people, used everywhere, sold at your local supermarket, and has *nothing* to do with either Monsanto or GMO foods.

Lie Alert!!!

Let's take Alfa's (ATS Monsanto Supporter) and use his own words here. "Nothing" Really!

"and has *nothing* to do with either Monsanto or GMO foods."

It has everything to do with Monsanto since they invented it and held the original patent.

Some crops have been genetically engineered to be resistant to it (i.e. Roundup Ready, also created by Monsanto Company). Such crops allow farmers to use glyphosate as a post-emergence herbicide against both broadleaf and cereal weeds, but the development of similar resistance in some weed species is emerging as a costly problem. Soy was the first Roundup Ready crop.

And it's trade name "Round-up" used with almost all of Monsanto's patented seeds, hence all the Monsanto's lawsuits against farmers. smh

en.wikipedia.org...

Glyphosate (N-(phosphonomethyl)glycine) is a broad-spectrum systemic herbicide used to kill weeds, especially annual broadleaf weeds and grasses known to compete with commercial crops grown around the globe. It was discovered to be a herbicide by Monsanto chemist John E. Franz in 1970.[3] Monsanto brought it to market in the 1970s under the trade name Roundup, and Monsanto's last commercially relevant United States patent expired in 2000.

edit on 16-6-2013 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
"and has *nothing* to do with either Monsanto or GMO foods."

It has everything to do with Monsanto since they invented it and held the original patent.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, THIS particular thread is about "Weed killer found in human urine across Europe". And the reason is, as I said, that glyphosate is nowdays an ordinarily available standard product on the shelves of supermarkets.
Lunchtime here in Australia - I stepped out to buy some sushi, and while I was also at the supermarket I had a look at the weedkiller section. There were 6 different glyphosate weedkiller products for sale.

And thats the reason glyphosate is found in humans.

Now you may wish to discuss Monsanto and whatever outdated patents it has. But its a topic for different threads, and simply isnt the cause of "Weed killer found in human urine across Europe".

edit on 16-6-2013 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

And it's trade name "Round-up" used with almost all of Monsanto's patented seeds, hence all the Monsanto's lawsuits against farmers.

Which lawsuits would that be?

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

And it's trade name "Round-up" used with almost all of Monsanto's patented seeds, hence all the Monsanto's lawsuits against farmers.

Which lawsuits would that be?

Bowman v. Monsanto Co.

en.wikipedia.org...

Bowman v. Monsanto Co. is a United States Supreme Court patent decision in which the Court unanimously affirmed the Federal Circuit and held that patent exhaustion does not permit a farmer to reproduce patented seeds through planting and harvesting without the patent owner's permission. The decision was in favor of the plaintiff and patent owner, Monsanto

There are plenty more, but many actually get settled before the trial due to lack of funding on the defendant's parts (Dirt Poor Farmers), and Monsanto relies on this.

www.innovationatstake.com...

Bowman v. Monsanto centers on Monsanto’s patented Roundup Ready® trait, which makes certain crops tolerant of the herbicide (weed killer) glyphosate. Growers who plant these soybeans can spray a glyphosate-based herbicide on an entire field, killing any weeds without harming the soybean plants. This method of farming allows farmers to better manage weeds, reduce labor and on-farm costs, and allows them to reduce soil erosion by eliminating the need to till their fields.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   

So a farmer knowingly violated a contract by selling patented seed and somehow the plaintiff is wrong for suing him over it? The farmer didn't seem to have a problem with Roundup, since he planted crops which were resistant to it he probably used it himself so I'm not really sure what your point is regarding the topic.

You know that seed patents have been around since long before there were GM crops, right? Here's a lawsuit about patent infringement on good old fashioned hybrids. The defendants were selling patented, non-GMO seeds. You can't do that.
ia600504.us.archive.org...

edit on 6/16/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

You asked for a case. I provided one.

I am not saying the farmer was in the right or wrong. Just that it has to do with Roundup, or glyphosate which is relevant to the thread, and a response to Alfa's saying glyphosate has "nothing to do with Monsanto, or GMO.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   

You asked for a case. I provided one.
Yes you did. I'm still not sure what it has to do with the topic though.

Do you happen to know if any glyphosphate tolerant GMOs are raised in Europe?

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Do you happen to know if any glyphosphate tolerant GMOs are raised in Europe?

That would be a yes, even though many country's are now banning, or placing restrictions on Monsanto products via laws, and regulations.

Here is a general list.

www.gmo-free-regions.org...

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
So basically, they can just pee on their lawn to kill the weeds?

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   

That would be a yes,

Are you sure? Which of these is glyphosate tolerant? Or do you think that the humans are eating animal feed and that's how the glyphosate gets into their urine. Or just maybe it's a result of the practices described earlier, which have nothing to do with Monsanto or GMOs.

In 14 years, the EU has approved the cultivation of just two types of genetically altered food crops for humans, the Amflora potato developed by German group BASF and MON810 maize developed by global seeds giant Monsanto.
phys.org...

edit on 6/16/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join