It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No injuries in Reno plane collision at air races

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Not sure the article title is very accurate, but it was near Reno while practicing for the races, so we'll run with it.

One of two Czech-built military training jets that collided in midair while practicing for this fall's National Championship Air Races in Reno had to make a belly landing on the runway with no wheels, but neither pilot was hurt

news.yahoo.com...

This was the same airport (Reno Stead) at which a P-51 crashed in 2011. It's sure to generate a lot of noise about air-racing again.

edit on 16-6-2013 by _Del_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Great job of managing the emergency. That's going to be an expensive bill to pay, but at least he's still around to pay it.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Any landing you can walk away from... Shame about the L-39 though.

More pics: julieinthesky.com...

I should probably add that the pics are of the same aircraft, but not today...

edit on 16-6-2013 by _Del_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Ahhh, I swear there was a huge crash at last year's Reno air races. I thought they discontinued them due to the fact that spectators got injured in last year's crash.

Edit: I see your article refers to the 2011 air races. I remember because my boss's son-in-law was one of the hospitalized spectators. I didn't think they were still hosting air races here.
edit on 16-6-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

It was a couple of years ago, and they suspended them for the rest of the weekend. There have been several accidents through the years, most not involving spectators, but some have. As long as there are speed freaks, and adrenaline junkies there will be Reno.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

There was a crash in 2011. A modified P-51 lost a trim-tab.

I'm sure there will be another discussion about race safety after this.

top topics

join