It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mainstream consumers waking up to Xbox1 spying on them! Amazon leading the wake up call!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Personally could care less the restrictions they put on the Xbox, Ive seen enough console launches to know what people bitch about pre-launch usally turns out okay.

If you are a gamer on ANY platform you should care about this. If Xbox wins or does even remotely good then such DRM will be for sure the future for us ALL.
If it completely fails then we might actually have a shot in getting rid of such intrusive DRM and this will be a good thing for us pc gamers as well.
Do you really want a future where you cant even play your own games a few years later down the line??
These games will basically be wiped from history once the authentication servers are shutdown that means that no one will again be able to play these games unless someone cracks the DRM.

This has already happened with several EA titles just years after they were released... Meanwhile I can still play old games from 80s just fine...

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
But if you dont have a constant connection, how can your kinect watch you all the time?

...and upload the offline video when you can connect again*please wait while your life is being uploaded the NSA cloud servers*

*Achievement unlocked*
Sucker who bought his own invasion of privacy -100 good consumer points-
edit on 16-6-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

This is why it has a hard drive.. And you dont need actual live video to spy and create a database of you.
The funny part is that it was revealed a few years ago that microsoft had made patent on a kinect like device that would spy on you and share information even with for example health authorities. This camera can even detect your heartbeat and can easily be used for biometric purposes.
link to patent

edit on 17-6-2013 by juleol because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-6-2013 by juleol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by BinxieTrollestia
The second video was hilarious, lol!

In all seriousness though, I think Microsoft went a touch too far this time. The games industry is getting more and more #ed up in my opinion, I don't even like Steam on the PC who refuse to process refunds for software that doesn't work.

I'm not convinced the PS4 will be any better either to be honest, they've been awfully quiet about how their system operates.

In all honesty, I'm not going to bother with either of them. The hardware is already four years old in both the XBONE and PS4, I'd rather spend a small fortune on building an up to date gaming PC which doesn't spy on me.... oh wait, I have Win8. #....

Thats what Linux is for!

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by juleol
reply to post by benrl

Personally could care less the restrictions they put on the Xbox, Ive seen enough console launches to know what people bitch about pre-launch usally turns out okay.

If you are a gamer on ANY platform you should care about this. If Xbox wins or does even remotely good then such DRM will be for sure the future for us ALL.
If it completely fails then we might actually have a shot in getting rid of such intrusive DRM and this will be a good thing for us pc gamers as well.
Do you really want a future where you cant even play your own games a few years later down the line??
These games will basically be wiped from history once the authentication servers are shutdown that means that no one will again be able to play these games unless someone cracks the DRM.

This has already happened with several EA titles just years after they were released... Meanwhile I can still play old games from 80s just fine...

I predicted this a few years back. (no one listened, now look)

Next "evolution" console will be that no CD is needed you will pay per play straight from the internet, and you will not own the game.

I have been playing Xbox since its first inception, but now i am either staying with my 360 or buyin a PS4...

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Buy game console for games.

Before it even works you HAVE to have the spykit (kinect) plugged in and the mic is ALWAYS on listen to you, i mean listen out for xbox commands.

a bit like spy drones looking for terrorists over the USA... what are they going to do if they see you doing something illegal? ignore it because you are not a terrorist? yeah ok....

On the upside spotting a heartbeat could be extremely good for fatties with heart problems, "user has heart attack while playing a hard game of shoot people on the xbox, xbox saves fattys life by phoning cops, happy man renews subscriptions and keeps playing" - oh wait no thats still creepy.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by khimbar

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Consoles are good for -casual- gaming..kids, and that's about it. which is fine..there will always be a place for consoles. But a true gamer is a PC gamer...and that's that.

Can people please stop reciting this ridiculous assertion that 'real' or 'true' gamers use PCs and shun consoles.

A true gamer doesn't look at the platform, they look at the game. The platform is the least relevant bit.

Real gamers have consoles and pcs and handhelds. We even are known to use boards, or books. The platform isn't the thing...the game is. The clue is in the name...right there...see...gamer. Not consoler. Or computerer.

Gamer.
edit on 17-6-2013 by khimbar because: (no reason given)

When all things are equal, say Skyrim for instance...when you can play on PC, Xbox, or PS, then platform is definitely the thing to consider.

In the case of Skyrim, PC wins, hands down (I have about 750+ hours on it and growing...and have only done the main quest(s) once...constant fresh content

Racing games and linear type games overall that have no ability for modding works fine for consoles. Games, for me, are like cars. you buy one and you then want to start upgrading. personalizing, tweaking out, hanging fuzzy dice on its mirrors and seat covers, etc...for me, a game is 2 things, its an engine to play with, and a baseline story. Both to be enhanced by the community.

But I digress. Sometimes I simply want to enjoy a quick story game or something and not bother modding or anything else.

But, don't underestimate the passionate fan dev community. Minecraft (the game that looks like a out of shape hairy butt) is wildly popular because it focuses completely on just building your own world/adventure on the back of their concepts and engine.

So ya..for me, the whole gaming thing isn't just what some corporation wants to give you with a rushed story and limited gameplay...it is a creation that goes from developer to community as much as just a simple game. It is painting, and you purchased the canvas and paint (with some general figures to paint around already scribbled on the canvas...mostly just a theme given)

And that is why I personally love PCs. It is more than just a simple game, I buy a little bit of a different dimension to play with.

But considering there isn't a word yet that encompasses this understanding, the word "gamer" is simply put out.

And the consoles -do- slow down technological development.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I love PCs too. I remember upgrading to play System Shock 2. I build my own.

Still doesn't mean we're 'real' or 'proper' gamers though. Or any better than console players.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Zedux

WOW....... whoever is running this division over at Spysoft is probably sweating right about now. I would never buy this product and judging by the feedback across the web this is going to be a epic failure.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
You Xbox One can get hacked as well and someone could spy on you through the camera and possibly hear you talk if the system hears sound controls.
Cover up the camera lens or turn off these features if possible if you plan on buying one.
edit on 17-6-2013 by Jobeycool because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Who needs internet 2 when all they have to do is place a box that is all in one in your house , funnel all of your activity towards them and their partners and then charge the consumer for every bit of the experience.

Microsoft does not view Sony as a that much of a threat any more with exclusives being bought up. MS has invested oodles of money into buying up game titles and they want to compete with Apple by being the all in one box in the house. Couple this with targeted marketing from cell phones, cable/sat boxes, and we can see where they want this to go.

When we see the filtering of search results going on creating an information bubble for the user based on these "targeted marketing" tactics we see that information is being funneled and controlled so that they do not need an Internet 2 to control online information. Couple this with the movement in the cloud and things like the raspberry Pi and other such devices and hard drives will be a thing of the past. Whatever is unpleasant to the system will go down the memory hole and ownership of media will be gone.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
This reminds me of Skynet an AI infrastructure that the kinect will be on the center stage. In the year 2030 skynet will be powered by kinect and in everyone's homes eek!! I also believe that Sony will remove features like they have done on the PS3 without permission and even do the same as MS are doing now with DRM. Watch and see I don't trust any multi-national organizations with my personal details. Funny thing is people are paying for these latest technologies that spy on you. Do you remember might have been in China where they have a full size city with latest tech in the homes that have been made to spy on people? Think it was a ghost town empty homes for testing new technologies before they release them to the public. As I've said that they have been wanting full 24/7 cctv surveillance in every home now they do and PRISM is SKYNET.
edit on 6/17/1313 by Sk8ergrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
you just brightened up my life with that video. omg. epic. truly magnificently epic.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
well if you dont have constant online access. just buy an offline device. microsoft has something for every option!
www.youtube.com...

do not fret people. they got you covered.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Just pre-ordered my Xbox One from EBgames tonight... cant wait!!

I have a feeling its going to be phenomenal, in every sense of the word.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SPACEYstranger

I hope your being sarcastic have you even been reading this thread?

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by juleol

That Day is already HERE. STOP buying new PC games, systems, consoles...and put ALL your money into buying the OLD systems/games....

Same goes for old PC's, anything PRE-2003, when Microsoft crawled in bed with Phoenix Bios to put a system within the BIOS for their evil (able to remotely turn off computer motherboards on 2003 and later PC's).

Those old game consoles, PC's, games are going to be worth ALOT in the future.

NOBODY was buying all those Apple iPhones and they had to get the Government to pick up the tab and they started giving away new iPhones......Soon the Xbox will suffer the same fate.

They'll GIVE AWAY the systems down the road to people who sign 1 yr contracts for the "service".

What happened to the iPhone....is going to happen to the XBOX.....sooon.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Todzer

Originally posted by Xtrozero
Xbox is dead...long live the PS4...the down side is my 10 year old who will need to learn a big life lesson when he gets a PS4 instead of a Xbox 1, life does have it's trials and tribulations and he needs to learn at some point... no matter how hard it may be....

Don't want to sound harsh but your child should be happy about getting a ps4, there is absolutely no life lesson here. Life is not tough if you can't get the Xbox1 and end up with ps4, life is tough if you can't eat.

You didn't hear the sarcasm in my voice...hehe

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sk8ergrl

I have read and digested every morsel of news pertaining to both next-gen consoles... and no, I'm not being sarcastic.

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
The Xbox One isn't out until November, so, how are mainsteam consumers "waking up to Xbox1 spying on them?" Cool, how'd they get one so early? Wow, source?
edit on 18-6-2013 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sk8ergrl

I have read and digested every morsel of news pertaining to both next-gen consoles... and no, I'm not being sarcastic.

Many non-gamers will jump on this pathetic bandwagon.
And any gamers who also decide this is a good idea should forfeit all rights in the future as far as complaining about why gaming has gone down the drain.

My pride would never allow me to buy into this crap. It is kinda like selling your soul.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join