It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mainstream consumers waking up to Xbox1 spying on them! Amazon leading the wake up call!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I'm still running on a GTX260 (with i7, 16GB and a 300GB WD Velociraptor), does everything I want at 1920x1080 with decent frame rates.

When games I play start to struggle, I will shell out and get something better....and if the XBOX really uses a Radeon 7770.....that shouldn't be hard to beat.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

BF4 and Rome 2 are what's going to push my card over the edge I think!

BF3 is a game I felt sorry for console gamers. It was funny to hear them get all excited over the way it looked on the PS3, only to then almost wet themselves with awe when they saw what it really looked like on a PC
. I converted a couple from consoles for evermore just by showing them BF on full whack, in HD

(And I know we will get called PC elitists for this - but I don't care!
)

Maybe if I am a good boy, the missus will let me shell out for a 680... Maybe.... Although when I bought the 560, I told her it was £80, not £180 and I hid the invoice.....

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
I agree with your comments about PC's... For around £700-800 you can build a pretty decent gaming rig that outspecs the latest consoles and, for the most part, will be future proof for many years with only an occasional graphics card upgrade.

I agree 100%

As for the guy who took a swipe at Steam - They do give refunds if the game you bought is in a really bad way

FIT FOR PURPOSE.
Anything that does not do what it says on the box is not fit for purpose and a full refund MUST be given.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Guys guys guys... What up internet.

So, yeah, this is all a shambles. But Don't fear, I have the solution. THE solution.

Damn M$ for putting a camera in their device that they said they would put in their device. And how it works, OMG, it looks. AT YOU! What audacious arrogance. I mean, there you are, paying 2 days wages to buy the latest and greatest innovative machine to put a game into and they go and try to sneak in New World Order shenanigans and get even more secret sauce on your personal life. I dare say, we'll have NONE of that. Uh Uh. No sir. I get that it's supposed to be something good, like it is leading the way to have some sort of aware machine that can anticiapte your intentions and.. but have you heard alex jones lately? I mean, listen to the man, he's telling you the truth guys, ROBOTS in our homes.

No. The solution?

Problem?

Oh and Yeah that Windows 8 is sure a load of walleytot. I agree. I mean, it's basically windows 7 with a new screen on the side if you want to access it, and more applications that make it a little more in line with pretty much every mobile device out there, and you don't even need to use that side of things if you prefer not to, but how dare they.. It's just not on. It's a failboat without an anchor. And even still it wont float. So..

No Problem!

edit on 15-6-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Zedux

Armed Services are voicing the same opinion too.

Johnson wants to support Microsoft; he wants to stay loyal to the Xbox brand and the games that he loves, however it will become an impossibility with the Xbox One given the restrictive and mandatory service policies that would leave many U.S., service men and women bereft of playing games on the Xbox One due to the required online component that isn't available to them when they travel abroad.

U.S. Service Members Won't Buy An Xbox One At Launch, Here's Why

Wonder what that's gonna cost Microsoft?

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend
Guys guys guys... What up internet.

So, yeah, this is all a shambles. But Don't fear, I have the solution. THE solution.

Damn M$ for putting a camera in their device that they said they would put in their device. And how it works, OMG, it looks. AT YOU! What audacious arrogance. I mean, there you are, paying 2 days wages to buy the latest and greatest innovative machine to put a game into and they go and try to sneak in New World Order shenanigans and get even more secret sauce on your personal life. I dare say, we'll have NONE of that. Uh Uh. No sir. I get that it's supposed to be something good, like it is leading the way to have some sort of aware machine that can anticiapte your intentions and.. but have you heard alex jones lately? I mean, listen to the man, he's telling you the truth guys, ROBOTS in our homes.

No. The solution?

Problem?

Oh and Yeah that Windows 8 is sure a load of walleytot. I agree. I mean, it's basically windows 7 with a new screen on the side if you want to access it, and more applications that make it a little more in line with pretty much every mobile device out there, and you don't even need to use that side of things if you prefer not to, but how dare they.. It's just not on. It's a failboat without an anchor. And even still it wont float. So..

No Problem!

edit on 15-6-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

you are completely missing the point I'm making. whatever it's great or not is meaningless the fact that MS didn't get away with the Spymachine is a huge accomplishment while millions of people just realized big brother really exist.
edit on 15-6-2013 by Zedux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Zedux

I know, I'm not too bright.

I would never have known that there was a camera in the kinect had it not been for the internet.

Close call, I know. But I do need a helmet when I leave the house, so it's all good!!!

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

So without the internet would not "kinect" the dots.....

I'll let myself out
edit on 15/6/13 by Todzer because: (no reason given)

link   
i'll wait for a year or to see all the little hidden things that each new system will introduce.... chances are if everyone spews about the XBOx1 and goes to PS4 you will no doubt see all those things implemented on PS4....

is well worth not being a nerd on this one and waiting to see what unfolds....

link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

As for the guy who took a swipe at Steam - They do give refunds if the game you bought is in a really bad way

FIT FOR PURPOSE.
Anything that does not do what it says on the box is not fit for purpose and a full refund MUST be given.

It doesn't quite work like that - Sale of Goods Act in the UK (and EU law) does not classify software as a "good", it only covers the physical medium on which it is provided. So if the disc is broken, it is not "fit for purpose" as it cannot be repaired, only replaced.

However, software on the disc can be repaired and if the supplier makes a reasonable effort to do so, such as provide patches and hotfixes, there is no obligation to supply a refund. In cases where the software has been so buggy as to be unusable, however, Steam has refunded money and in one case, pulled a game completely from it's store.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   

You talking about WarZ?
edit on 15/6/13 by Todzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Todzer

The game that was pulled, yes. There may be others, but I am not aware opf them...

Quite often, what people perceive as bugs are actually problems with their own machines (not having the latest drivers etc). I have bought many a game on release day and thought it great, only to go on the forums to find people whining about "bugs" which are either so minor that you can understand them being overlooked prior to release, or just them being idiots.

What people forget, in the case of PC gaming, is the near limitless combinations of different components in a PC make it nigh on impossible for vendors to test every combination and there will undoubtedly be some quirk with a certain configuration they didn't test.

More often than not, patches iron these out and the bugs are rarely, if ever, game breaking so people demanding refunds I think is a bit daft.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   

It doesn't quite work like that - Sale of Goods Act in the UK (and EU law) does not classify software as a "good", it only covers the physical medium on which it is provided.

So if I make a copy and then give them the disc back, I've not actually taken anything?

If you bought a shiny new car and discovered a hole in the floor, and they said - No problem, we'll weld a patch on it for you. Would you be happy?
I remember all the problems people used to have with Patched software. MS's service packs for instance!
A patched program is not the same as the program that you bought, therefore I would assume one is entitled to a refund.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Oh I agree 100% but I wasn't surprised when they pulled WarZ, that game was just garbage, played it on my mate's pc (sadly I cannot afford a gaming pc) nd thought it was BAD.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Zedux

First video is all an act, this is what this guy does make angry fat guy videos, it's an act, however I see your point.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
I think the measures taken by Microshaft are more to do with piracy than privacy....just my opinion of course.

Despite all the complaining however, I bet MS still see record sales (and I bet the bugger is hacked within 10 minutes of launch too, lol)

Of course it has foremostly to do with piracy, eg. $$$$$. But this doesn't make it better nor does it wipe out doubts about MS's sincerity.

What it all comes down to, again, is that a company does things which are NOT to the benefit of the users but first and fore-mostly for them, in fact posing huge inconveniences to users. On-line required for a console is ridiculous and the Kinect requirement to me is VERY suspect.

I just read that the camera is actually counting the people watching a movie and would refuse to play if it sees a number of people who is not "permitted" to see a movie - the funny thing is I really don't know whether this is satire anymore or in fact the case! I DON'T KNOW.

And while I realize that I read an otherwise entirely ridiculous story and need to wonder whether this is actually true or not...I realize that something must not be right there when corporates and technology literally have to be feared in the same way as in Orwell's 1984 and we're NOW at a point where the "impossible" and "fantastic" slowly drifts into and become reality and this can and should not happen.

Where are we in 20 years, where in 40 when we allow this to escalate even more? When billion dollar corporates grant themselves the power to control us like puppets on strings?

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
microsloth has shot themselves in the foot with this silliness. they have nicely alienated what i suspect may be a large portion of gamers. that being those that live out in the country, not within cities. i have a friend to decided to move just outside of Toronto. for him internet is of major importance since his job requires him to work online. one of his biggest issues for him when he moved was that good reliable internet was NOT AVAILABLE. he was finally able to use some source of wireless internet that works even tho he is "technically" out of it's coverage area. it seems that the major internet providers (and cable for tv) have no interest in providing services to those "smaller areas" with too few customers to make it very profitable. even DSL over the phone lines is not available for the same reasons. there is some internet available, but it is generally slow and useless for gaming. knowing many people living in rural areas and away from towns on farms this is a common problem. so i guess for them the new xbox is not going to be usable.

then you have people like me who live in foreign countries where internet is likewise unavailable or slow and not always working. i know i have been having issues lately with my internet being spotty (possibly weather related), even before the problems i found the connection i had to quit playing an MMO due to it constantly cutting out for a few seconds every once in awhile causing constant disconnecting. and a friend who lives in a different area of the city had all sorts of fun with just getting internet, and it has issues all the time. so there goes another portion of the gameing community.

it seems that microsloth thinks that everybody has good internet. but what do you expect of a company that is likely primarily staffed by people who have always lived in cities and not dealt with the issue of "services" like internet not being available due to location.

someone mentioned Steam. steam is a pain in the butt. some games like say civilization 5 have to be online to even play a single player game. then other games supposedly don't need to be on the net to play, yet i have had messages when trying to play them that i have not been connected in too long or something and need to go online to play.
it is just greed that causes the companies to do this because they are afraid of loosing profit due to people sharing and selling games.
personally i miss the days when i could "rent" a game to see if i liked it before buying. in fact not being able to do so has COST these companies with me as there are a lot of games i never bought just because i was not sure i would like them and thus don't want to waste my money on a game i might not like.

my personal view is i would much rather use my PC for gaming as it is much more use for other things as well. but sadly a lot of games are now only made for game consoles, even to the point of specific ones. i would love to see the same games available for which ever console or pc you want but sadly that cut's into the game console profits as by having games only available for THEIR platform it gives them a monopoly so that you HAVE to buy heir machine in order to play the game you want. i bought my ps3 as a blue ray player that also let me play some games not available on the PC. now i am finding it hard to even GET games for my PC, as most shops only cater to gaming consoles and have little if any PC software. and like i said many newer game are only available for the console use or come out much later than for the console.

the "spying" issue with always having it turned on is worrying as well, people are saying it has nothing to do with spying. yet i have now had 2 laptops built several years apart that always seem to turn the microphone on, even if it is supposedly "turned off" and the gain somehow being at maximum. i only notice it as i start to notice background noise coming from the headphones (or speakers if turned up) like the clicking of keys as i type or a sound heard if i tap the computer or something. i go thorough and turn everything off and levels down but next thing i know it's back on again. always makes me wonder if the camera does the same, but not noticeable due to not seeing any vid from it (so i cover them).

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   

So if I make a copy and then give them the disc back, I've not actually taken anything?

It would still be theft - you would breach copyright law doing that

If you bought a shiny new car and discovered a hole in the floor, and they said - No problem, we'll weld a patch on it for you. Would you be happy?

No, but that is a physical product, whereas software isn't. I am not saying I agree with the law, but that's just how it is.

I remember all the problems people used to have with Patched software. MS's service packs for instance!
A patched program is not the same as the program that you bought, therefore I would assume one is entitled to a refund.

Hmmm, I do not believe you have much experience in PC games having read that comment. Patches are quite normal to address bugs or even add new content (not everyone uses the DLC model) and, more often than not, will improve the gaming experience by fixing bugs.

A patched program is the same as you bought, as you buy into the overall package, not specific code. If it is found the original code is defective, then it is only right that the vendor patches out the bugs.

Personally, I think it is unrealistic to a piece of software to work perfectly on release, there is always bound to be an error or typo in the code, whether it be a PC game or multi-million pound software suite used by a big corporation. Like I said, there is no way they can test the software on every possible configuration of hardware/software so there is always going to be someone who runs into trouble.

That said, I can't remember the last time I bought a game that was so buggy to be unplayable - I've only run into a few quirks here and there which might lead to odd behaviour or graphical glitches. I think people expect to much these days and are far to quick to throw their toys out the pram.

However, even under the Sale of Goods Act, if you buy a defective physical product you're not necessarily entitled to a refund. The vendor can offer a repair or replacement instead and if you refuse that
edit on 16/6/13 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Todzer

Yes, it was dreadful and to put icing on the cake, the developer at first was unapologetic and unrepentant, which made it all the worse....

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Your sarcasm is obnoxious.

Linux/Unix is better than Windows any day.

Freedom is all that matters.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join