It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Free Therapy

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
When I first joined ATS last year my writing skills, spelling, and computer lingo, was horrible, I misspelled so many words and had the most frustrating time learning how to post pics, videos and all that fun stuff, but with encouragement I prevailed. My spelling skills drastically improved, and I kid you not, my palms would get sweaty with nervousness before I went to contribute something to a thread and my goodness I was so anxious when I would author a new thread, although there is still plenty of room for improvement, I am pleased with how much ATS has helped. It was these reasons that I suggested to a friend of mine to join ATS. She had some medical issues that has effected most of the skills I mentioned above. She has always had an open curious mind, so its a good fit for her here.

My only concern was that some folks might troll her, I warned her of this before hand and she just laughed and and said to me "when have you ever known me to not have thick skin". Now 4 months has passed since she joined and when she went to her therapist he was amazed at her improvement...Pretty awesome I think.

This place fired up and resurrected her brain cells. And hey its free therapy.
edit on (6/15/1313 by shells4u because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by shells4u

Hey! I use ATS for the same thing!

Plus, it keeps me on top of current world events and helps me learn how to write quality (I hope) articles, work on social skills, helps with debate, etc. I know so much because of ATS. Thanks, ATS!

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   

That's awesome!

Back when i was playing Adventure and other text based games in the 80's everyone was saying games like that were bad for you, but really it kept me typing and spelling and thinking really hard. People don't think about those kinds of things, they just see someone plunking away at a keyboard being anti social.

Fast forward to ATS and I see the same thing going on. Threads and posts that make you stop and use the brain a little in ways you wouldn't normally "think". This place is a challenge in lots of ways.

A spell checker is still a miracle tool though. It is funny to look after typing sometimes and realize just how bad of a speller you are.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Yep, I use ATS for therapy as well. But I try and avoid the doom and gloom.

Shells and Darkbake, I've watched both of you grow as contributors here in the last few months. You're absolutely an integral part to the ATS family!

edit on 15-6-2013 by smyleegrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Shells and Darkbake, I've watched both of you grow as contributors here in the last few months. You're absolutely an integral part to the ATS family!
reply to post by smyleegrl

Awwwl Thank You!!

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

A spell checker is still a miracle tool though. It is funny to look after typing sometimes and realize just how bad of a speller you are.

Yes me and the spell checker have a love/hate relationship...Its just nice when all those red underlines gets fewer as time goes by...

edit on (6/15/1313 by shells4u because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Hey! I use ATS for the same thing! Plus, it keeps me on top of current world events and helps me learn how to write quality (I hope) articles, work on social skills, helps with debate, etc. I know so much because of ATS. Thanks, ATS!
reply to post by darkbake

OMG...I have been spelling 'etc.' wrong all this time...I thought the spell checker was underlining it because it was an abbreviation...I was spelling it like this-'ect'...see you just taught me something...

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Shells, what are friends for if not for mutual, free therapy?

I was nervous when I first signed up as well. In fact, I was convinced the Men In Black would kick down my door and drag me away in a straightjacket for posting threads.

Anything you need at all, site-related or otherwise, always feel free to U2U me

edit on 16-6-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by shells4u

OMG...I have been spelling 'etc.' wrong all this time...I thought the spell checker was underlining it because it was an abbreviation...I was spelling it like this-'ect'...see you just taught me something...

You think that's embarrassing? I didn't learn to spell 'immediately' until I was in my thirties. Throughout my childhood my mother told me how she wanted things done E-mediately. So, for all those years I tried finding the word under 'E' in the dictionary. lol

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I still sweat before posting a thread and I've been here 8 years

That's great news about your friend, ATS is a great form of therapy and a constant source of amusement for me

One of posters I enjoy reading is smyleegrl, I almost feel like I know her family personally and have been privileged enough to get little snippets of her son growing up.

There are many others I enjoy reading as well smylee was just an example.

To your friend : Welcome to your ATS family, glad that we have contributed a little to your life in a positive fashion,

Cody

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Wow, my sentiments exactly! This site has been therapy for me as well. I would even go as far as saying I've "found myself" here. Things I didn't realize I was so passionate about have come to the forefront.

I read threads that force me to dig further in order to fully grasp the conversation, like how do you argue for or against abortion if you don't have a clear understanding of fetal development? And how do you argue for or against a creator if you don't know anything about particle physics or evolution?

I've learned all about image manipulation just so I could make a cool avatar for this site, and now I'm getting pretty good at 3-D animation so I can better express myself in my threads.

I've learned that I am a Christian leaning Agnostic Conservative Utopian that doesn't fit into a box. I'm not Pro-Life, I'm Anti-Abortion, and I'm no longer interested in the Illuminatti or Aliens... all thanks to ATS.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

Wow those are some big achievements and in two years since you have joined...I need to learn the avatar manipulation thing too....I wouldn't know where to even start for that, does my laptop have the capabilities or do I need a special download...anyways thanks for posting you have brought to my attention some new things to start exploring.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Jiggerj: you have an admirer I always read and enjoy your postings!!! I love the way you express yourself and I do have to admit Your avatar is the bees knees....I just love a good humor type of person, I was raised in a family that laughter was always present to if someone can make me snicker it never fails to draw me in thanks...

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

Thanks!!! I know that I have your support and you have been so kind and helpful to me I was literally gonna pull my hair out that day when I could not for the life of me figure out how to post a pic, you were so helpful and in the way you went about it you did not make me feel dumb....I love that about you and your kind nature!!! Thats a rarity these days...BTW I now probably post way too many pics along with my posts but I enjoy doing it soooo much...lmao...I wear google image out...

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by shells4u
reply to post by Bone75

Wow those are some big achievements and in two years since you have joined...I need to learn the avatar manipulation thing too....I wouldn't know where to even start for that, does my laptop have the capabilities or do I need a special download...anyways thanks for posting you have brought to my attention some new things to start exploring.

Well thanks and sorry about the untimely response, I'm working in the most desolate part of the country at the moment. I highly recommended you check out GIMP. Its just as good as Photoshop, and its free. There are tons of tutorials on the net to help you get started. For 3-D animation and rendering , check out Blender.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Good for you guys i'm glad for the both of you.

new topics

top topics

join