Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Pentagon bracing for public dissent over climate and energy shocks

page: 1

join

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Came across this article at Guardian. For me, as a non-American it was a very interesting read. Most of the topics mentioned there have been here in ATS, although this article takes all these together. Interesting that I could not find it in ATS yet, seems like an ATS-type of topic
Here are just a couple of paragrahs, but I suggest to read it, as these do not give the full picture

But why have Western security agencies developed such an unprecedented capacity to spy on their own domestic populations? Since the 2008 economic crash, security agencies have increasingly spied on political activists, especially environmental groups, on behalf of corporate interests. This activity is linked to the last decade of US defence planning, which has been increasingly concerned by the risk of civil unrest at home triggered by catastrophic events linked to climate change, energy shocks or economic crisis - or all three.

Just last month, unilateral changes to US military laws formally granted the Pentagon extraordinary powers to intervene in a domestic "emergency" or "civil disturbance":
[...]

It is therefore not surprising that the increasing privatisation of intelligence has coincided with the proliferation of domestic surveillance operations against political activists, particularly those linked to environmental and social justice protest groups.

Department of Homeland Security documents released in April prove a "systematic effort" by the agency "to surveil and disrupt peaceful demonstrations" linked to Occupy Wall Street, according to the Partnership for Civil Justice Fund (PCJF).

Source

To be honest, I personally understand preparation for such actions. There are many extremists out there who might cause a lot of harm to other people and people do not need a civil war. I am not from US personally, but I guess my government has also such plans prepared, although the likelyhood of a large-scale riot is probably much lower than in US, especially when seeing many opinions of Americans here and the videos in Youtube. I do not say I agree with many decisions of different governments, especially towards the environmental policies of some corporations, although as being anti-war/anti-violence (these are never justified in my opinion) I sincerely hope there will not be a SHTF-scenario, where such measures are necessary. We all know, wherever something like that, whether in US or Europe, happens, the other will go down with them, so I truly hope people will stay smart and not do anything stupid, as the consequences might be rough for everybody. As we can see, many survivalists are not the only ones prepared for the SHTF-scenario, the governments are preparing (and afraid) of such things too.
edit on 15-6-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)
edit on 6/15/2013 by tothetenthpower because: --Mod edit--Please only post 10% of the article or 3 paragraphs, whichever is smaller when posting external content.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
If telling each other that our rage and lack of tolerance for their lies, dirty dealing and abuse of us on a daily basis is all about climate change makes them feel better? I guess thats another reason to see them all run out. Obviously, that goes well beyond JUST the elected class in this country right now and deeper into the "little people" who actually make the Government run on a daily basis and make it all go.

They don't have to brace for a thing, anyway. The program is called COG and it stands for Continuity Of Government. It's been a big black hole of a line item, sucking resources and dollars every single year in one form or another, clear back into Ronald Reagan's tenure, if not beyond.

COG means they've had rooms full of people just sitting around, thinking up how anyone in creation could ever pose even a passing threat to Government, then handing those results to other rooms of people who sit around thinking up billion dollar ways to counter- it. All years before any of that crossed the mind of a normal citizen as possibly being necessary to pursue at some point.

This game had a home team, ready to spike our efforts, well before anyone knew effort would be needed.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
In other words governments are here to serve corporations (only relevant personalities). The People is source of slave labour and potential enemy.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Confirmation bites. If the Guardian article is in fact accurate (only one source so far is of dubious origin but still going through them), then it's pretty perturbing that that is the stance that is going to be taken albeit unsurprising. I don't personally find it reassuring in the slightest as there is a great deal that can be done to offset some of these issues that would lead to public dissent as several of these issues are of man-made origin. The real issue is that, to correct these issues, it would dramatically affect large scale property owners and, unfortunately for us here in the US, the property owners are the protected class.

When we think of a minority of which the majority would potentially turn against, we generally consider those minorities to be ethnic or racial. Not to burst anyone's bubbles but that isn't the real minority that our government and constitution were basically set up to protect due to the impetus for the formation of the second Constitution (which is the one we currently use) being Shay's Rebellion. From The Federalist Papers #10:

So strong is this propensity of mankind to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions and excite their most violent conflicts. But the most common and durable source of factions has been the various and unequal distribution of property. Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society. Those who are creditors, and those who are debtors, fall under a like discrimination. A landed interest, a manufacturing interest, a mercantile interest, a moneyed interest, with many lesser interests, grow up of necessity in civilized nations, and divide them into different classes, actuated by different sentiments and views. The regulation of these various and interfering interests forms the principal task of modern legislation, and involves the spirit of party and faction in the necessary and ordinary operations of the government.

Federalist #10
Shay's Rebellion

As I said, I find it disheartening to see that, in the light of potential, wide-scale suffering, our government would default to a position that is over 200 years old when some of the problems afflicting us could be stymied instead. 200+ years ago, Madison only saw this division as being an "unequal distribution" problem when what we have today is quite possibly the wholesale destruction of life. There are many things that could be done to protect people and avert fate but they are not being done in deference to those property owners. That's the regrettable picture that I see being painted.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
The Pentagon is already braced for whatever befalls it. Its very design is intended to survive all out thermonuclear war.

This article should be titled US citizens brace for coming police state. When the differences between police and the military evaporate.

State of Mind

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

The real reason for what we're all seeing has nothing to do with terrorism at all, and everything to do with preventing civil unrest and a revolution. Ultimately it's about recording everyone so that if or when it does happen, the authorities can go back through all records of all Americans and see who supported the notion of a revolution, who organized protest groups, who registered political website domain names, who phoned who to arrange to meet where...

It's no coincidence that much of what we're seeing really kicked off at the start of the economic collapse. The sight of revolution in Iceland, Egypt, Libya, Iran, Spain and Greece etc was a wake up call to TPTB. You might think that the first priority is to the people, but you would be wrong. The first priority of any modern government is self-preservation and continuation of government.

Why do you think trillions have been invested in armored vehicles, underground facilities, contingency plans and so on and so on?

Lets look at this logically. The mass gathering of data of millions of people has no bearing on terrorism. If it were, they would be focusing their attention on known links, creating a picture just of those who are clear threats, they would not need the data they are collecting on millions of completely innocent people. Doing this, if it were for the reasons they state, would just make the process more complicated, messy and time consuming.

Using the needle in a haystack analogy, they're making a massive mountain of hay with more and more added daily, supposedly to find a needle, when they could have just run a magnet through that original haystack.

Therefore, they are collecting all that data for a reason, and it's not to find a needle in the first haystack. And the only explanation is that they either assume that millions of people are potential suspects already (which is laughable), or they WILL BE potential suspects in the future. Then, for so many people to be viewed as potential suspects in the future, they have to be expecting something to cause them to fear so many people.

The entire system is in place for this one reason, they are expecting massive civil unrest at some point, and they need this system to monitor all the protest groups out there that will inevitably appear when the € collapses, or when the $ finally goes with it.

Political movements and protest groups need to be able to communicate with others to plan events and marches. In pre-WW2 Germany that was the free press, that was silenced and shut down by the Nazis. In soviet Russia it was the same, magazines and papers were silenced and shut down if they dared to offer any political diversity or attempted to promote any anti-government sentiment. And now we have the internet, and all of our governments are doing their hardest to get some controls in place so that when the Occupy or Tea Party groups spawn more and more in the face of economic collapse, they can track, trace, arrest and detain anyone who dares to try to organize protest.

Of course, the irony is that this massive machine they now have in place could, depending on how big the rest of the story is, actually be the catalyst for what they fear happening. The US government and NSA could have caused the one thing they fear the most by creating the system to stop it.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
STAR FOR YOU ROCKER>>>>>>thats it in a nutshell, its a self fullfilling prophecy created through the paranoia of the PTB.....
Its all about keeping the lid on and maintaining the uber rich elite while controlling the desires of the unwashed masses to make their lives better for themselves and their own kids....
The system is run by the priviledged few, like a private club.
Its their kids who get the best social positioning to carry on the elitist agenda.
Down through the generations, the same money names keep cropping up, and interbreeding with each other.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
While all this has been pretty much know for a while it is doubtful that all this planning is going to help TPTB very much. There is always the talk of "civil war" and "extremists" arising against their own country but I don't think that's what is going to happen.

To paraphrase an old saying, "the best laid plans never survive first contact with the opposition." It's not going to be the tea party or the militias that are going to be the problem. Most of them are at least somewhat self sufficient. The problem is going to come from the economic collapse of the dollar and the tens of millions in the cities flash rioting just to get food.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bassago
While all this has been pretty much know for a while it is doubtful that all this planning is going to help TPTB very much. There is always the talk of "civil war" and "extremists" arising against their own country but I don't think that's what is going to happen.

To paraphrase an old saying, "the best laid plans never survive first contact with the opposition." It's not going to be the tea party or the militias that are going to be the problem. Most of them are at least somewhat self sufficient. The problem is going to come from the economic collapse of the dollar and the tens of millions in the cities flash rioting just to get food.

I would tend to agree with you to a certain degree. I don't think it's likely that the American people are willing to rise up in any way easily. I mean, just look at the extraordinary apathy and incomprehension most Americans seem to have to this massive story.

But, I would also say they there is a limit. Like you point out, they might not rise up when the markets collapse and the government starts shooting real protesters in the street and calling them terrorists (just like Syria, btw), but when their basic needs are no longer being met that's when the rioting starts and leaders start to appear amongst the masses to really push for new government.

There are always political groups popping up and protesting, we've seen Occupy and the Tea Party, and there will be more, depending on the issues and the strain the people are under.

Either way, this is what I believe the government really fears and expects. It's impossible to predict what's going to happen, but we all know there is going to come a time when things get incredibly difficult in the US. Look at the debt, the unemployment, the unaccountable government agencies, and that megalithic new building in Utah. Can anyone really imagine this system being dismantled? Really?

The American people have allowed this to spiral so far, it's only going one way, and there doesn't seem to be a way to stop it.

It's all just my opinion, and it's all based in observations of what's happening and the repetition of history - but I think there are a lot of conclusions we can make from what we know. The main one being that the US government is scared of its own population for one reason or another.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
"Expecting mass civil unrest" or propagating it? You can see that all those intelligence functions, who are paid by all of us, are cosy with big money, including those who engage in tax avoidance and evasion and do their best to pay feck nothing. That is criminality by the intelligence agencies, spying on us on behalf of the big money. It even mentions disrupting the peaceful occupy wall street protest, and criminalising enviromental groups, even when they have done nothing. WTF are these people on.

I just thought to add, Edward Snowden is right to have got to hell out of there, it took him a while, but he did the right thing. Those of you stateside should protest to your senators, or congressmen/women that these people are spying on you, using quangos' paid by your taxes, and that it needs to stop. Maybe too there should be spying done on these fat cats.
edit on 15-6-2013 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

Our congressmen and women are sending obozo on a 100 million dollar vacation to africa, took hot meals away from troops in afghanistan, and are now openly funding al queda in syria - do you really think they are going to do anything for us citizens?

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

The Pentagon knows that environmental, economic and other crises could provoke widespread public anger toward government and corporations in coming years. The revelations on the NSA's global surveillance programmes are just the latest indication that as business as usual creates instability at home and abroad, and as disillusionment with the status quo escalates, Western publics are being increasingly viewed as potential enemies that must be policed by the state.
Dr. Nafeez Ahmed.

I guess it is being officially recognised by the scholars and the researchers that the building of the 'Orwellian' state is being perceived by TPTB as a necessary and essential evil. What is taking place is the shoring up of all official authority agencies, readying for the potential of societal collapse, whether by natural or man-made auspices.

Of course, I call it 'Orwellian' in name only. It would require us all to go along a pretty disastrous path for it all to become truly Orwellian. Nevertheless, many of its aspects will be engaged with, absolutely no doubt on that. We are already seeing it to be the case. I do feel that for some individuals, it may even turn into a true Orwellian scenario. To be honest, I pity the future, and those whom will live in it. In fact, these years are probably the beginning of the end, and the real decline of our species, especially as the resources deplete at our appetite.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Happy1
reply to post by smurfy

Our congressmen and women are sending obozo on a 100 million dollar vacation to africa, took hot meals away from troops in afghanistan, and are now openly funding al queda in syria - do you really think they are going to do anything for us citizens?

It is an official trip, part of his office what it costs is also your consideration, air force 1 alone costs about $180,000 per hour all in alone, if you don't like that petition the White House. The 'hot meals' issue is a contractual one, you need more reading on that. Guns for Syria rebels is an intelligence issue, which frankly have too many Chefs with their own enterprises, petition the White house, there is a need to question everything, but there is also a need to get it right.
edit on 15-6-2013 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

I don't think you understand what's going on in the United States - the only way they listen to us citizens is through PRISM - they don't listen to the "terrorists jihad islamist" through mosques, or the encampments they have in country. We have the IRS training with AR-15's (bookkeepers training with automatic rifles that they want to take away from the citizens) We have pedophilic prostitution in the state dept.

We have Benghazi - where it's certainly starting to look like we were selling arms to the "enemy- jihadist" in Libya, and had people killed because the military was told to "stand down" so the treason couldn't be discovered.

We have these paranoid treasonist administration officials spying on journalists that won't print what they are told.

We have "illigal amnesty" lurking - which would quadraple the amount of people on welfare.

We have fast and furious - our gov't arming violent drug cartels in Mexico - which has been pushed to the wayside.

We have a DOJ head in eric holder who doesn't remember anything about his responsibilities in his job.

And - we have a president who has sumptious parties every other week at the white house and vacations! vacations! vacations! - all at the people's expense.

Even the saudi heads cut their vacation short because they realize what's coming to their part of the world.

Our gov't is funding rebel islamists in syria, leading to world war 3.

I definetly have something to bitch about.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   

catastrophic events linked to climate change

Well, we will probably start seeing towns getting leveled on a regular basis like what happened in Oklahoma,

but on the other hand, a lot of those people will let their entire region be wiped from the earth before they admit that scientists were right and their religious, business and military leaders were wrong.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Happy1

I don't think you understand what's going on in the United States - the only way they listen to us citizens is through PRISM - they don't listen to the "terrorists jihad islamist" through mosques, or the encampments they have in country. We have the IRS training with AR-15's (bookkeepers training with automatic rifles that they want to take away from the citizens) We have pedophilic prostitution in the state dept./i]

Of course I don't understand about what is going on in the US, in the same way as I don't understand that the same thing is going on here in the UK, and like the US it has been going on for years and years, and it has been discussed here at ATS many times, only now it's not a conspiracy theory, it's as good as official... In other words I know all that.
What I'm saying is that you can go to the petition page and note your disapproval, after some many petitioners, they are obliged to respond,

petitions.whitehouse.gov...

Like all things in officialdom, you have to pester until you get a result.
edit on 16-6-2013 by smurfy because: Text.

new topics

join