Breathtaking Video of Flight Over Mars

page: 1

join

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
The ESA's Mars Express has been 10 years since the road and circled the Red Planet. The original video is from the DRL and can be looked at under the following URL: ....

www.youtube.com...

All I can say is Breathtaking!
A must see!
edit on 15-6-2013 by nighthawk1954 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by nighthawk1954

Here's your video,

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Pretty cool but CGI me thinks. I would love to see an actual "filmed" flyby of this quality though.
Thanks for sharing

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I thought it was gonna be real footage...

Oh well.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
If I understand correctly, this is real Mars Express imagery overlaing the digital terrain that is based on real height values. The only fake thing is the flyover itself.

Source: www.dlr.de
edit on 15-6-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace
If I understand correctly, this is real Mars Express imagery overlaing the digital terrain that is based on real height values. The only fake thing is the flyover itself.

Source: www.dlr.de
edit on 15-6-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

Some of the pictures are digitally controlled. Mars Express is at a 290KM orbit. It wouldn't be swooping near peaks and canyons. It's the quality of the camera pictures taken in 3D that allows for better digital manipulation. You'll notice too that it shows clouds in the video, but while there are clouds on Mars, any pictures with clouds were not used in the mapping mosaic, and any gaps in the mosaic because of the unwanted clouds were got on later orbits.
edit on 15-6-2013 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by smurfy
Some of the pictures are digitally controlled.

What do you mean by that?

Mars Express is at a 290KM orbit. It wouldn't be swooping near peaks and canyons. It's the quality of the camera pictures taken in 3D that allows for better digital manipulation.

The stereo photos taken by the HRSC allows them to create accurate 3D models, once they have a 3D model they can make a virtual fly-over or even a walk-around.

I would love to have a ground view of some of those areas.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Originally posted by smurfy
Some of the pictures are digitally controlled.

Mars Express is at a 290KM orbit. It wouldn't be swooping near peaks and canyons. It's the quality of the camera pictures taken in 3D that allows for better digital manipulation.

The stereo photos taken by the HRSC allows them to create accurate 3D models, once they have a 3D model they can make a virtual fly-over or even a walk-around.

Control/manipulate not much difference in that context.

That's pretty much what I was saying.

So would I.
edit on 16-6-2013 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

I don't think it was their intention to show the flyover of the Mars Express orbiter itself. The video shows scenic computer-generated flyovers using Mars Express imagery and terrain data. You could create similar videos using satellite imagery of Earth and the corresponding elevation data.

There will always be someone saying "looks fake"

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Awwww , dangit....it's just a cartoon/....

dad gummit...I wanted to fly over Mars...

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by GBP/JPY
Awwww , dangit....it's just a cartoon/....

dad gummit...I wanted to fly over Mars...

The surface images used are real. They took real images of the surface, then added bumpiness/3d terrain from elevation data, and then they did a 3D fly-through.

So, yeah -- the terrain elevations are computer generated, as is the fly-through, but the surfaces you see are the real thing from real pictures.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace
reply to post by smurfy

I don't think it was their intention to show the flyover of the Mars Express orbiter itself. The video shows scenic computer-generated flyovers using Mars Express imagery and terrain data. You could create similar videos using satellite imagery of Earth and the corresponding elevation data.

There will always be someone saying "looks fake"

And real images, that's understood already. The disparity is in the OP title, most people would like to see a real-time flyover albeit sped up a bit. In fact ESA have one of Mars Express when in an eccentric orbit, (it's even updated recently) but don't lift the coffee mug while looking at it, as it will be over. So, there is no real-time flyover of Mars Express so far but here,

new topics
top topics

join