It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Converted A Catholic To Atheism

page: 73
<< 70  71  72    74  75  76 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Sure, if this were the twilight zone.

That seriously sounds like a twilight zone set up. All we need now is a murder thrown into the mix.

Maybe you could pitch it to Hollywood?

"The Conversion" coming summer 2015

ETA: I see you edited your post. I'm almost 100% certain that anthonycooper is your alter ego now. Stop lying to yourself, it's not a good quality to have to make up stories.
edit on 27-6-2013 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Dear AfterInfinity,

I'm lost. You gave me two posts in response. As you noted, the first was an link to the reply function, posted by mistake.

The second post, in it's entirety, is this:

Here are some points we can discuss, in the post I am replying to.
Sorry, Haven't a clue what you mean.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   

The fact is you are just a username on my monitor. Whether you believe me or not will not affect how I sleep tonight.

Well... You mean quite a bit more to me, than that, but I still don't give a damn what you think. That's your problem. I'm fine with my thoughts, and those are the only ones that matter to me.

See ya,
Milt

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
I didn't attack you.

I’m pretty sure that most ATS members, saw that post as some kind of angry rant.

You need to work on your Sarcasm skills…

I utilized a little gift I have known as "sarcasm"...perhaps I should LABEL my posts with emotions whenever I type in anything but a monotone.

Yeah, good idea…next time throw in a couple of el Oh els, and a few smiley faces, too let the other guy know your being sarcastic.

I can't stop you, and surely you're here to discuss the actual topic, right?
The OP would be an excellent place to start.

Asking for clarification on the OP, IS!! discussing the topic…that’s exactly what I’ve been doing, ALL this time. But due to the big V lol, it’s gone on longer than anticipated.

I’m been trying to piece together parts of Mr Coopers spiritual journey, which aren’t covered in your OP, hence the reason for my 2 clarifying questions.

How can you expect me to give my full opinion on your OP, if you’re not even prepared to answer them, in a clear and straightforward fashion?

Oh, and can you please show me your post, where you stated that Mr Cooper was “medically challenged and technologically troubled.”,…cant seem to find it… it’s a long thread.

- JC

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Did you click the post I was replying to? That's what the instructions were.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Joecroft

You know how to operate this site just as well as I do. I'm sure you can find it. Although I must confess my confusion as to why that post would require investigation. The point was to inform you, and now you are informed it sounds as though you are looking for clues...clues to what?
edit on 27-6-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Dear AfterInfinity,

Thanks, I got it.

Well, apparently they weren't too stimulating and informative because one of them just went POOF! Maybe now would be a good time for you to start making sense and posting relevant material. Your little derailment and distraction act is getting tiresome.

This isn't about me. This is about the conversion from Catholicism to atheism and whether or not it could be considered a valid transition, a well-advised one, a productive move, whatever. What's the pros and cons to this kind of switch? No more ad hominem, boys. This is adult time now. Handle the discussion maturely and intelligently.

When we take out your irritation towards other posters, we're left with:

This is about the conversion from Catholicism to atheism and whether or not it could be considered a valid transition, a well-advised one, a productive move, whatever. What's the pros and cons to this kind of switch?
My first thought is that since he converted from a nebulous non-religion to a definite non-religion, you're question must be treated as a hypothetical. Seventy some-odd pages on a hypothetical? But, Ok.

We can condense that question even further, in my opinion. It seems you're asking "Which is better, Catholicism or Atheism, and why?"

Do I have it right?

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

Dear AfterInfinity,

I'm lost. You gave me two posts in response. As you noted, the first was an link to the reply function, posted by mistake.

The second post, in it's entirety, is this:

Here are some points we can discuss, in the post I am replying to.
Sorry, Haven't a clue what you mean.

With respect,
Charles1952

Hello Charles1952,

Why someone that claims to be interested in a mature and intelligent discussion, couldn't provide a direct link to satisfy your request is beyond me, but keeping things hidden within a "smoke screen" seems to be "AfterInfinity's" default mode of operation.

See ya,
Milt

PS:
I see that you found it, so I deleted the first part of my post.
edit on 27-6-2013 by BenReclused because: Add a PS

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

Dear BenReclused,

I'm hoping I'm wrong with my belief that his question comes down to:

It seems you're asking "Which is better, Catholicism or Atheism, and why?"
It can't be that. I mean, if it is, he's going to say Atheism is better, I'm going to say Catholicism is better.

He isn't going to persuade me, and if I'm lucky, it will take me a couple of hundred pages to persuade him.

Oh, I hope that's not what he meant. If so, if that's really what he wanted all along, this whole thread is a waste from Page 2 on.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

This is about the conversion from Catholicism to atheism and whether or not it could be considered a valid transition, a well-advised one, a productive move, whatever. What's the pros and cons to this kind of switch?

These are the points that I am offering to discuss, as a place to start. I didn't say these are the only points I am willing to discuss.

He isn't going to persuade me, and if I'm lucky, it will take me a couple of hundred pages to persuade him.

Oh, I hope that's not what he meant. If so, if that's really what he wanted all along, this whole thread is a waste from Page 2 on.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I've never called your threads a waste, I've never called any of your posts a waste, so I'm a little disappointed that you can't find any use for this thread and its contents. Are you sure this hasn't been anything of a learning experience for you at all? I'm not sure that reflects on me as much as it reflects on you.

Boredom is more a reflection of the person than the situation... I'm sure the same thing can be said about "wasting time". No one forced you to come here. No one forced you to stay. And I'm sure if you open up a little, you'll find that you learned a thing or two here...not from me, perhaps, but from the general participants of this thread.

As long as someone walked away with a better understanding or an inclination to improve their understanding as a result of this thread, I consider it a success.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Why someone that claims to be interested in a mature and intelligent discussion, couldn't provide a direct link to satisfy your request is beyond me, but keeping things hidden within a "smoke screen" seems to be "AfterInfinity's" default mode of operation.

I was on my phone at the time. As I explained quite explicitly. I would hazard a suggestion that you begin to read more closely and think before jumping to assumptions. Your posts in this thread give the impression that you pick the first thought to occur when reading a post, set it in concrete, and continue your operations under the assumption that your growing series of first impressions is absolutely flawless.

I don't regret making this thread. I regret posting it to a conspiracy forum where the primary principle of interactivity is question first, doubt later, and debunk at the finish line. The journey is not to find truth, but to prove there is no truth to begin with.

AnthonyCooper and I are satisfied, for the time being, with the conclusions we have reached regarding the existence of a deity (or lack thereof). It's obvious that no one here appreciates the process by which we arrived at those conclusions, and it's clear that you are more interested in proving we are idiots for having done so than learning why we felt it a necessary position to take. I am not here for your approval. I am not here for your belief. I am here, in this thread I have made, to memorialize a pivotal change in the perspective of an individual I am attached to. Among other things, I was eager to contribute my own experience for the benefit of those who were curious of uncertain as to their own positions. Perhaps I would convince someone or further someone's beliefs in the complete opposite of my own. Either way, I helped to make a slight difference in someone's life. I helped to further cement the happiness and productivity, the convictions and trajectories, of one or more people out there in the world. As long as I inspired someone in some fashion, I could count this thread a success.

Quite frankly, with that being said, I was interesting in receiving somewhat deeper feedback than what I have encountered here, but I confess myself disappointed in finding that the majority of forthcoming responses are completely off the point and non-constructive. Apparently, the spilled milk proves the neighbor killed the goldfish. Why? Because aliens.

That's exactly what MY first impression is. And you know what? I'm sticking to it. Thank you, good day, and good luck. And may whatever deities you cherish be with you.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Dear AfterInfinity,

Whatever emotion I'm experiencing, it isn't boredom.

So where are we at? You suggested I look at your reply, and I did. I simplified (over-simplified?) the question there to "Which is better Catholicism or Atheism." If that's wrong, correct me.

anthonycooper did not change from Catholic to Atheist, so discussing his particular case is of less interest, theologically. I'm sure it's a gripping saga for him and for his guide, but it's too specific to that one case to allow for much discussion.

You've mentioned other ideas to discuss. I seem to remember a character in a movie who said "Throw me a bone." That's all I want. Give me a few topics, let me pick one and we're off. But there's not much to work with right now.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Whatever emotion I'm experiencing, it isn't boredom.

Good. I'd hate to think I'm stuck with a boring audience.

So where are we at? You suggested I look at your reply, and I did. I simplified (over-simplified?) the question there to "Which is better Catholicism or Atheism." If that's wrong, correct me.

If people feel I am wrong, then tell me why. And try to sound smart about it. That's all I'm asking.

anthonycooper did not change from Catholic to Atheist, so discussing his particular case is of less interest, theologically. I'm sure it's a gripping saga for him and for his guide, but it's too specific to that one case to allow for much discussion.

Catholicism is a farce to begin with. It's another word for "I attend mass every Sunday". It doesn't take much to be a Catholic, and even less to pretend to be one. And nobody cares about the difference. He was Catholic in the sense that everyone claims to be Catholic - they were born and raised and never bothered to read up on anything else. Except he was curious and did some exploring, which began to erode the foundations of his beliefs. Not to mention being gay sort of took the best parts out of the equation. But he didn't have a better answer, so he stuck with it until I gave him one he liked more.

You've mentioned other ideas to discuss. I seem to remember a character in a movie who said "Throw me a bone." That's all I want. Give me a few topics, let me pick one and we're off. But there's not much to work with right now.

I just gave you a whole bunch. The problem isn't a lack of ideas, it's a lack of thought. The more you think, the more connections you make.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Is this thread really of any value to anyone anymore? I've seen more personal defamation in the last dozen or so pages than relevant discussion. Maybe it's time you wrap this up.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by HarryTZ

Is this thread really of any value to anyone anymore? I've seen more personal defamation in the last dozen or so pages than relevant discussion. Maybe it's time you wrap this up.

With all due respect, dear Harry...maybe it's time you move on and stop telling me what to do with my thread. No one here needs your advice, they're perfectly capable of making their own decisions.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   

I'm confused again. I thought you said you wanted a discussion, where did I go wrong?

Good. I'd hate to think I'm stuck with a boring audience.

If people feel I am wrong, then tell me why. And try to sound smart about it.

Catholicism is a farce to begin with. It's another word for "I attend mass every Sunday". It doesn't take much to be a Catholic, and even less to pretend to be one. And nobody cares about the difference. He was Catholic in the sense that everyone claims to be Catholic - they were born and raised and never bothered to read up on anything else.

I just gave you a whole bunch. The problem isn't a lack of ideas, it's a lack of thought.

AfterInfinity, fruitful discussions rarely occur when they open with insults and lies. I'd ask for an apology, but one, it would be fruitless, and two, I would only ask for one from a man of honor. I would, however, accept one from you freely given.

- C -

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

AfterInfinity, fruitful discussions rarely occur when they open with insults and lies. I'd ask for an apology, but one, it would be fruitless, and two, I would only ask for one from a man of honor. I would, however, accept one from you freely given.

Nor do they tend to proceed well with groundless accusations. I don't generally apologize without knowing what exactly I am apologizing for. But perhaps that's a matter better suited for personal messaging, lest this thread be thrown off topic...further than it's already gone. I only just managed to steer it back onto course, with your much appreciated help; I'd hate for such effort to be wasted.

It's been pointed out numerous times that there is more attacked and "defaming" going on than actual conversation and debate, so I hope you'll forgive me if I am a little on edge at this point. I have no patience for further dramatics, and I have no intention of humoring maneuvers to that end.

It seems you have no interest in discussing the finer points of Catholicism, in contrast to the freedoms that atheism can provide. I thought presenting the topic in my previous post was a bold enough invitation, but perhaps you're reluctant.

I would only ask for one from a man of honor.

There is no honor on this site. What use is there for honor here? None. We wear masks. We trade in speculation, lies, and rumors. Half the time, we dig so deep that we can no longer find our way out, only to discover the truth is in another castle. Honor doesn't exist in a place where people go by code names and invent new identities every day.

There is no honor here. There is only confusion and desperation. So your barbs concerning my honor are as fruitless as a priest chiding a politician. We work in the dark. We feed from the dark. I'm here on the off-chance that perhaps the children of the shadows know something I don't, can offer a perspective I haven't considered, might be hoarding some small piece of the puzzle. And maybe, just maybe, I can help someone feel better about the shadows they're crawling in.

Your honor means nothing to me because this is the internet. Honor. What a joke. I could break a thousand promises and come back with a new name and a new face and a new promise and I would be "honorable" because no one knows who anyone else is.

Anyway, that's enough about honor. Shall we get back to the actual topic? Like I said, there's plenty to discuss if you have the eyes to examine.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Your posts in this thread give the impression that you pick the first thought to occur when reading a post, set it in concrete, and continue your operations under the assumption that your growing series of first impressions is absolutely flawless.

All that I have done, is to allow you to prove that my "first impression" was "absolutely flawless". You've done that well!

I regret posting it to a conspiracy forum where the primary principle of interactivity is question first, doubt later, and debunk at the finish line.

I can certainly understand your regret. If you had posted your OP on a atheist forum, I have no doubt that you would have recieved the "worship" that you, so obviously, crave.

The journey is not to find truth, but to prove there is no truth to begin with.

You're not on a journey "to find truth". If you were, you wouldn't have been so dismissive of the many questions that you refused to answer. As it is, you have only been seeking praise.

It's obvious that no one here appreciates the process by which we arrived at those conclusions

We've also been telling you why, but you're too damn proud of yourself to listen.

I am not here for your approval. I am not here for your belief. I am here, in this thread I have made, to memorialize a pivotal change in the perspective of an individual I am attached to. Among other things, I was eager to contribute my own experience for the benefit of those who were curious of uncertain as to their own positions. Perhaps I would convince someone or further someone's beliefs in the complete opposite of my own. Either way, I helped to make a slight difference in someone's life. I helped to further cement the happiness and productivity, the convictions and trajectories, of one or more people out there in the world. As long as I inspired someone in some fashion, I could count this thread a success.

Yep! It's got to be ALL ABOUT YOU, doesn't it?

See ya,
Milt

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

lest this thread be thrown off topic...further than it's already gone.

If that were even possible.

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

All that I have done, is to allow you to prove that my "first impression" was "absolutely flawless". You've done that well!

Would you state for the audience exactly what your first impression was?

I can certainly understand your regret. If you had posted your OP on a atheist forum, I have no doubt that you would have recieved the "worship" that you, so obviously, crave.

For someone who has never met me in person, you have an awful lot to say about me. It's almost like you think you know me. For the record, I despise worship. I have said as much many times.

You're not on a journey "to find truth". If you were, you wouldn't have been so dismissive of the many questions that you refused to answer. As it is, you have only been seeking praise.

No, you've been dismissive of my answers. What questions have I failed to answer? Line them up for me.

We've also been telling you why, but you're too damn proud of yourself to listen.

You don't have a reason to state why. You're more concerned with proving me a fraud than anything else.

Yep! It's got to be ALL ABOUT YOU, doesn't it?

Well, I did start the thread. And I am a key player in the event this thread covers. So it kinda makes sense that a large portion of the actual debate would stem from myself and my friend, would it not? And since he's busy doing other things, it falls to me to "defend" the position as stated in the OP.

Sorry if you were expecting something else.

top topics

<< 70  71  72    74  75  76 >>

join