It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Converted A Catholic To Atheism

page: 50
<< 47  48  49    51  52  53 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by piequal3because14

Because I decide who and where.....But I will him give one last chance.

Does this mean you're "God"? Because it would explain sooo much...
About this world, I mean, not about you.
edit on 22-6-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

I don't suppose you'd be willing to let me borrow a kitty? I do love cats...

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by Serdgiam

Nice try to come off as benevolent and approachable.
But you just couldn't refrain from injecting THIS:

It is good that you have realized that not everyone is enamoured with you.

I dont try to "come off" as any certain way. At its heart, Milt called it. I am a troll. That said, I will refrain from any further attempts at humor with you.

AS A DIRECT RESULT OF the grief of losing my father and being immersed in the questions since he died on August 2, 2010. It was the first loss of a loved one that hit me with more than passing sadness such as pets, friends, and extended family members. Excuse me for not having lost my father before. Sorry he didn't pass quickly enough for your taste. How insensitive.

Loss definitely can spur on learning. There is usually a point in all of our lives that is pivotal, usually several. I have no idea what you are accusing me of in the rest of this though. Again, you take a compliment as an insult. Let me be as clear as I can it is good that the past three years have been a learning experience for you and I hope you never stop learning and growing. When I say that, it isnt to say "You are going to stop learning, I must say something!" It is to wish you well. Everyone is going to die. Everyone.

and even better if that continues for the rest of your life!
DO NOT presume to know my past, my knowledge, my evolution. It has been going on for my ENTIRE LIFE, pal, and I'm certain it will continue to do so - because I have the intellect, the inquisitiveness, the tenacity, and the determination to get as close as I can to the "real answers" while I'm still here on this beautiful planet - knowing full well that when I leave here, the answers will be known to me once again.

How does hoping your learning and growing continues throughout the rest of your life have anything to do with your past? Do you know how to interact with an opposing view?

If you want to continue to discuss this with me, that's fine, but I will not tolerate condescension from you.
As long as that is understood, ask me whatever you like. And by the way, I'll be turning 55 in a few months. Every day I learn more. Life experience is why we are here.

If you desire a heated discussion, then I can provide that. You only perceive me to be condescending, but like I said, I will take my responsibility in that and refrain from any light hearted comments. At this point, I have no idea how to say anything whatsoever without you taking it as some sort of insult. Are you actually willing to help me with that, or are you more interested in this type of discussion?

I have no idea what your experience is, how long you've been here or 'studying/contemplating' these things, but you are NOT on my path, nor am I on yours. You are free to shout out directions and hints, but you will never be ON THE SAME PATH that I am. I've come far enough to see the peaceful meadow beyond my forest path, and I know the path must be walked alone.

I have been saying the same thing all along.

Now, mind you manners, and try again if it pleases you.

You would do well to heed your own words.
edit on 22-6-2013 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Do I need to put you two in a time out? If you absolutely must have this conversation, take it to U2U's please. This is not the place for it.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

She started it!

edit for your edit: You are right AI. I apologize. This is a learning opportunity for all of us. Though, it must be said, you have had the same interaction with several posters as well. We all get caught up in the moment.

edit on 22-6-2013 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

edit on 22-6-2013 by Serdgiam because: dp kina

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   

I don't care who started it, the moderators will finish it by closing this thread. I really don't want that. There's still plenty of potential for this discussion, and I would hate to see it wasted.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

I don't care who started it, the moderators will finish it by closing this thread. I really don't want that. There's still plenty of potential for this discussion, and I would hate to see it wasted.

Like I said in my edit, you are right.

We seem to clash like oil and water.

I think we could all learn from it, as we have all been guilty of it at certain points in this very thread.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

If you desire a heated discussion, then I can provide that. You only perceive me to be condescending, but like I said, I will take my responsibility in that and refrain from any light hearted comments. At this point, I have no idea how to say anything whatsoever without you taking it as some sort of insult. Are you actually willing to help me with that, or are you more interested in this type of discussion?

No, I do not desire a 'heated discussion.'

Your humor has been lost on me because of the context in which you insert it. I don't know you well enough yet to "get" your humor, and I have not felt that you would be taking me seriously.

Yes, I am willing to help you with that;
allow me to explain why it SEEMS condescending. I am not here to have people be enamoured of me. I am here to learn, and to teach what I know. I AM capable of humor, and as I get better acquainted with you (many members will attest to this, I trust), my 'sarcasm' (which is very adept) will begin to show.

I used some of it here in this thread earlier, and After asked me to refrain. This is uncharacteristic of him, but I understand it. It's his thread, and is something of an uncauterized wound at this point.
For you to attempt it so early in our dialogue lends itself to "misunderstanding."

When you stated "for the past 3 years" to my mind it sounded as though you were alleging that I have ONLY BEEN EVOLVING over the last 3 years. Life-long learning is Me. Thank you for acknowledging that.

Speak to me with respect and sincerity, please, until we are better acquainted and understand one another's point of view. I have added to my signature a thread I made over the winter. It is a 'repository' for the ATS members who patrol, monitor, and participate in this Forum (or the Origins/Creationism or Conspiracies in Religion) - an open invitation for people to share their personal journey, free of critique or disagreement. It would be great if you want to "introduce" your spiritual self there.

You are not the first, nor will you be the last, to learn 'the hard way' what "yanks my chain" and become reluctant to address me at all. As soon as I feel you are OPEN and LISTENING without an eye to judge or belittle, I will relax.

Make no mistake, though, I am not a meek submissive type. I will tell you what I think, and sometimes I think harsh thoughts about people's opinions - ESPECIALLY when they seem to have an opinion of me that is erroneous.

That said, I reserve the right to reply to you with sincerity, whether I'm hurt, angry, offended, or in agreement. I am a fair person.

Now...what questions do you have? We will start again. Thanks for helping to clear the air.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Borrow a kitty? Not if you're gonna put me in a time-out!

But yeah, you can borrow the really old one who has brain damage from his head being run over by a full-sized pickup 8 years ago, recovered but is wobbly....and who nags me to death and pees to get attention. You want him? His name is Lyle.

(Sorry, I didn't see this and the next one til AFTER I responded to Serdg.)
BACK ON TOPIC:

I think your thread is important, and I do want to participate. So far I have seen nothing required mod intervention - potential remarks have been removed by their authors, including me.

edit on 22-6-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Thank you. Now let's have a calm and respectful discussion.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

No, I do not desire a 'heated discussion.'

Your humor has been lost on me because of the context in which you insert it. I don't know you well enough yet to "get" your humor, and I have not felt that you would be taking me seriously.

I am taking you very seriously.

Yes, I am willing to help you with that;
allow me to explain why it SEEMS condescending. I am not here to have people be enamoured of me. I am here to learn, and to teach what I know. I AM capable of humor, and as I get better acquainted with you (many members will attest to this, I trust), my 'sarcasm' (which is very adept) will begin to show.

I assumed you werent here to achieve enamour, which is why I expected you to perceive it as a joke. That expectation was obviously wrong. A good thing to know about me is I dont take much of anything very seriously even if I am on the surface. We all have our difficulties, and what we learn from them may be different.

When you stated "for the past 3 years" to my mind it sounded as though you were alleging that I have ONLY BEEN EVOLVING over the last 3 years. Life-long learning is Me. Thank you for acknowledging that.

I am glad we can work all this out.
See, we are like an old married couple already!
(thats a joke)

I only said it in reference to what you said. I think a large part of our life is almost tilling the soil for that one moment that changes everything. I think we can have several of those, but overall, I think the concept still applies. Kind of like the dying off of trees in the fall, followed by a cold winter, then again followed by the rebirth of spring.

Speak to me with respect and sincerity, please, until we are better acquainted and understand one another's point of view. I have added to my signature a thread I made over the winter. It is a 'repository' for the ATS members who patrol, monitor, and participate in this Forum (or the Origins/Creationism or Conspiracies in Religion) - an open invitation for people to share their personal journey, free of critique or disagreement. It would be great if you want to "introduce" your spiritual self there.

My story is a long one. I attempt to share it through my actions and my interactions with others. At least the "results." Sharing my story is not a pleasant experience for anyone involved, so I would rather represent it through the rebirth that has happened (and continues to happen) because of it.

You are not the first, nor will you be the last, to learn 'the hard way' what "yanks my chain" and become reluctant to address me at all. As soon as I feel you are OPEN and LISTENING without an eye to judge or belittle, I will relax.

What will it take to make you feel I am open and listening? I suppose time would be the best, but I come and go from this message board as the seasons permit.

Make no mistake, though, I am not a meek submissive type. I will tell you what I think, and sometimes I think harsh thoughts about people's opinions - ESPECIALLY when they seem to have an opinion of me that is erroneous.

Even through any miscommunications we might have had, assuming you to be meek and submissive was most certainly not part of it.

That said, I reserve the right to reply to you with sincerity, whether I'm hurt, angry, offended, or in agreement. I am a fair person.

Now...what questions do you have? We will start again. Thanks for helping to clear the air.

We all have that right, I think.

The question I am most curious about; What do you think my beliefs are? It will obviously either take some digging, and will undoubtedly include some assumptions, but I think it will be an interesting exercise. You are quite clear about your own beliefs, and I have been a member of this board much, much longer than my username would suggest. However, it would really help me to know how my acts are perceived, at their core, by someone whom I have clashed with.

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

and who nags me to death and pees to get attention.

Wait... I thought that was all cats?

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity and wildtimes

Uhhh, hi?

I'm feeling a little tentative here, so I'm just kind of poking my nose in a little teensy bit.

I notice that you both would like this thread to be a positive one with solid discussion, but could I ask just a small question? What do you want it to be about? Wildtimes isn't commited to any particular religion, AfterInfinity is commited to no religion, and there are many criticisms of the concept "Christianity" which appear to based in either error or what seems to me a fringe position.

Wildtimes has been attacked pretty heavily in the last week or so, anybody would have at least a small reaction to that. AfterInfinity reminds me of one of those slender, beautiful, darting, tropical fishes. You see it and pause to enjoy it, but as soon as you focus on it, it's somewhere else.

It seems like the OP has pretty well been covered. I think I understand that AfterInfinity was an aid to a man with no strong knowledge of religion, to adopt the position that religion itself is incorrect. Ok, got it.

I wouldn't mind joining in but what's the game and what are the rules?

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

I wouldn't mind joining in but what's the game and what are the rules?

It's chess. And the rules are that the pigeons can do whatever they want and it sucks to be the non-pigeon.

Hiya, charles!!!

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Charles as long as you are respectful and don't get into personal attacks you will be just fine! Both Wildtimes and Afterinfinity are beautiful people who have only been responding defensively when feeling attacked. I must say that both have a marvelous sense of humor that leans to the sarcastic side, but I believe any attempt at humor has been ruined by some of the participants who don't understand each other's witticisms. So just be yourself- I find you to be always respectful to everyone you interact with!

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

What do you think my beliefs are?

Apparently, you are a scientist, and see the world with an eye from physics. I agree with you that the quantum world is NOT subject to prior knowledge of the "laws of physics."

I agree that everything we see and think, is, by our very nature, subjective, and that there is MUCH that we do not know - and perhaps can NEVER know while 'trapped' in this physical realm.

Beyond that, I don't know what your beliefs are. But I am paying attention.

@charles and littled,
I love you both!!

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Wait... I thought that was all cats?

Shows what you know!

posted on Jun, 22 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Did you know that 'The Birds' scene you posted drove Tippi Hedrin to a break-down?

She was told by Hitchcock they would be "fake" birds, but they weren't. And she already had a phobia about birds.

Anyway, yes, we are "trapped" in these bodies with limited sensory acuity. We can't know what we can't know - and our job is to realize what we can't know and to be humbled before that knowledge.

I am not an atheist - I am, I suppose, an Agnostic Deist.
Thomas Paine makes a lot of sense to me.

edit on 22-6-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 47  48  49    51  52  53 >>

join