It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Converted A Catholic To Atheism

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Just want to say....people should stop using God as a crutch for their own failings

Damn straight. It goes both ways though, as many atheists use the failings of mankind to support their idea that a god/s do not exist.

The rest is a bit funny to me. Some animal on some rock floating through space... It is special in its way, but I have my doubts as to whether or not our tiny little insular world is of much relevance to the physical universe.

Our overall goal should be progress, not bickering over who is right or superior.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Anything other than what you know to exist for certain is not God.

What's the one thing you know for an absolute certainty exists?

What does your belief in a god give you, that my belief in the nonexistence of a god not give me?

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

The messages from Heaven...
Actually, Jesus said it in 33 A.D....
Do not let the anti-Christ and his fella the False Prophet deceive you.
God is going to personally show
reply to post by colbe

No offense, my good man, but you really have no idea that you are saying absolutely nothing. You get all of this meaningless crap from ONE book!

Messages from heaven? Prove it. Where are these messages? Oh yeah, they're in that ONE book!
Jesus said it? No, the ONE book says that he said it.
Anti-christ and false profit? Where the heck are they?
God is finally going to personally show something. Where did you get this idea from? Oh yeah, it's that ONE book again!

Please prove ANY part of the above because this is so disconnected from reality that I'm really starting to worry about you, Colbe. Give us a sliver of proof. Just a SLIVER!

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Gods were invented because early man couldn't come up with a rational explanation for such things as volcanoes. But, now that we know better, it would be ignorant to still believe in gods.

Man hasn't come up with a "rational explanation" of what created the "big bang" yet! Perhaps, it's a still a bit early to call those who believe in God ignorant.

See ya,
Milt

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Knowledge of who you truly are.

What's the one thing you know exists without a doubt?
edit on 15-6-2013 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

His proof IS the bible. Why? Because the bible says so, duh!

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

That's why I keep asking: what is a god? By what parameters do we identify any being as a god or goddess?

Let's level the "playing field":
What parameters do you use to define the "God" that you claim doesn't exist?

See ya,
Milt

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

Let's level the "playing field":
What parameters do you use to define the "God" that you claim doesn't exist?

See ya,
Milt

A conscious being that embodies the paragon of one or more aspects of the universe. I would like to note that this definition is only loosely applicable to the deities which prompted atheism. The question would be better directed to the people who claim that a god does exist, for they are the ones who have inspired the rise of atheism. Without a substantial group that believes in a god, there is no reason to create an anti-theist party.
edit on 15-6-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Sounds a lot like consciousness itself doesn't it?

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Sounds a lot like consciousness itself doesn't it?

If the universe were to be conscious, then it's plausible. The fact remains that the universe has provided no reason to declare it as a conscious entity.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   

If you do, please photocopy the evidence with complete and credited documents of verification as compiled by professional analysts at any esteemed and unbiased facility of your choice, and send the data to your local newspaper. When they have printed the story, complete with interviews and peer approval, post a thread with a link to the article and we will talk about your truth.
Oh why? for you truth is like Chupacabra?

When you will interview your converted?

How can we know that you are telling the truth?

No evidence was presented by you to verify your words,then your words are untrue,....and for sure they are.

Because for you fact and evidence doesn't go together and never will,and I know what I am talking about.

Because you didn't caught a chupacabra yet.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

We are the universe experiencing itself. So yes, the universe is conscious.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Knowledge of who you truly are.

How does belief in a god give you knowledge of who you truly are? And how does belief in the nonexistence of a god prevent me from acquiring such knowledge of myself?
edit on 15-6-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   

To know god is to know yourself. If you do not know god then you do not know yourself.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   

All hail afterinfinity the mind conquer author of there is no fate but what we make for ourselves (and this guy he just converted). What will you do with your mental slave now? If you plan on keeping him then you need to find a way to empower him with something that does not exist?

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by deadeyedick

Empowers him with a clean slate so instead of following others ideas he /she can try and figure it out by himself/herself.
Freed from Religion great stuff in my view.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   

What's so bad about making our own fate exactly? Would you rather have someone or something else decide it for you?

If it's bad to believe you have control of your own outcome then I guess I'm as bad as they come. I'd rather be free than to be controlled.

edit on 15-6-2013 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by windword

Congratulations for reinforcing the (false) premise that "atheists are out to convert the whole world to non-belief, and won't be happy until they do!"

I believe your statement is entirely incorrect.

Your thread title is my rebuttal.

I Converted A Catholic To Atheism

edit on 15-6-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

Empowers him with a clean slate so instead of following others ideas he /she can try and figure it out by himself/herself.
Freed from Religion great stuff in my view.

Well put. Freed from religion, but enabled to make a choice regarding belief or the lack of it.

It is on the individual level anyway, why approach it at such a large scale if for nothing else than control(consciously or unconsciously done)?

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
you would.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join