It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Converted A Catholic To Atheism

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Atheism is defined as lack of belief in any deity. That's as far as the term goes.

And that's where atheism falls apart. It's illogical to disbelieve in something you can't prove doesn't exist. Something that prides itself on logic collapses under it's own weight. You're not an atheist, because atheism by defination can't logically exist, and if there is no logical basis then what you have sir is a religion based in the negative. You're faith is literally in nothing. What a hopeless existence you have. The only real thing you could be is an agnostic and that is to say, you truly do not know if there is one or not and even the clown Richard Dawkins admitted he isn't 100% sure there is no God which then renders even him an agnostic.

LOL at Atheism. Really, cry. The big question, who made God?

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by colbe

I am asking, most fallen away Catholics are bitter about their choice. AI, if you knew the faith, you would
not of left it. You can come home, go make a good Confession.

It is truly everyone's desire. Jesus knows our nature.

edit on Sun Jun 30 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: --Off Topic, One Liners and General Back Scratching Posts--

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword

Congratulations for reinforcing the (false) premise that "atheists are out to convert the whole world to non-belief, and won't be happy until they do!"

If its false, then why does it exist here in this very thread?

I happen to agree with you with the exception of that "false" part. But its naive to think that atheism is not out to convert, as you see the very evidence of that in this thread even existing in the first place. Evidence is what atheist claim to accept, right?

I still have yet to see "non-stamp collectors" going to a stamp collecting convention and telling them how wrong they are for doing what they are doing. Nor have I seen "non-stamp collectors" set up a "non-stamp collecting" convention across the street from the stamp collecting convention.

Leads me to believe its all just a bunch of prosthelytizing from all involved sides. Personally, I am not a fan of it, period, whether it is from "religion" or "non-religion."

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by colbe

The thing is many believe in God, I do but I do not believe any man living or in dead can understand God, you have fallen for mans interpretation of god, you follow someone else's version of him/it/she.
What makes the Catholics right and Hindus wrong?
God would not approve of any religion because it is just used for control and division...pity you are part of that.

Oh and please stop signing off with

love.

You do not show it for all people only the ones that agree in your brand of club.
edit on 15-6-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluloa
You couldnt and wouldnt convert me!

I happen to think there is more to life than the crazy idea that everything was created out of a big bang that came from nothing!

There's a difference between believing in the unprovable to the point where it controls your life in some way, and believing to the point where it doesn't. I believe in the basics of the big bang, but it doesn't change my life. And, I certainly wouldn't die for this belief. If someone held a gun to my head and ordered me to say that the universe is a big pizza, the only question I'd ask is, "With pepperoni or anchovies?'

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Kudos?

I personally think it's a bit ignorant to believe there is no god, but that's just my opinion. Hopefully you and your friend will someday be able to find that middle ground, the spot where religious gods don't exist, but a certain, undeniable God does.

Open your eyes and you may see him/her. It really is as simple as that.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by colbe

I am asking, most fallen away Catholics are bitter about their choice. AI, if you knew the faith, you would
not of left it. You can come home, go make a good Confession.

It is truly everyone's desire. Jesus knows our nature.

Sometimes there are ways to show our real true face without even knowing it.

Even if the entire world will follow you,still will remain a drop of light in the eyes of one human to tell the truth.

And that drop of light will stay there forever because no one can take it

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Also about the Catholic Church this dude tells it how it is. Go Hitch.

Btw this is an excellent debate If you have time watch and learn.

www.youtube.com...

Religion of the true God? pfft.

Humanity FTW!!

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I personally think it's a bit ignorant to believe there is no god, but that's just my opinion.

On the contrary, ignorance is believing in something with no proof.

ig·no·rant: Lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.
Lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular:

Some people don't want their picture taken because they believe it steals their soul. What could they possibly base this belief on?

Gods were invented because early man couldn't come up with a rational explanation for such things as volcanoes. But, now that we know better, it would be ignorant to still believe in gods.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

For my version of God, I have the entire universe as proof. You can't have much more proof than that.

I think it's even more ignorant to be religious than to be atheist, so there's that.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by piequal3because14

I don't believe you know that truth. If you do, please photocopy the evidence with complete and credited documents of verification as compiled by professional analysts at any esteemed and unbiased facility of your choice, and send the data to your local newspaper. When they have printed the story, complete with interviews and peer approval, post a thread with a link to the article and we will talk about your truth.

That's how we handle fully verified discoveries, isn't it? That's how FACT is established.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I really find the whole thing funny. Do you know why? Do you want to know? Because for all the people who have come on here accusing me of ruining my friend's life, of condemning both of us to hell, of being wrong and foolish and ignorant and just all around idiotic for what I have caused...

Not one of you has posted any conclusive evidence proving that I have caused any harm in fostering the development of my friend's new-found atheism. Not one. All you have done is post allegations and insults, speculation and rhetoric. All you have is your opinions, and that's not enough for someone who has seen first hand the before and after image. All you know is what you've been fed, and that's all you have to rely on now. Nothing solid. Nothing substantial. Nothing conclusive. You are all blowing hot air, and that tells me everything I need to know.

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi

Thank you all for posting, and thanks to those of you who have supported me in this triumph of the human spirit.
edit on 15-6-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   

I do prefer constructive posts over hit-and-runs though.

Hell, you're the one that ignored my response to you:

It seems a bit absurd to convince someone to BELIEVE something that atheists claim to not have a BELIEF in.

That's my honest opinion of your self proclaimed "conversion". I feel the only reason you ignored it, and called it a "hit-and-run", is because you don't have an honest rebuttal for it.

See ya,
Milt

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

It seems a bit absurd to convince someone to BELIEVE something that atheists claim to not have a BELIEF in.

I didn't ignore it. I just didn't have a response. But if you are so insistent upon getting one, then here is my reply:

I convinced him to stop relying in a god and start having confidence in himself and his own power to create the happiness he wished to have. As a result, he found he didn't need a god and no longer desired to continue defending the existence of one. When a god is no longer needed, the same happens to the lies and plot holes.

Is that a good enough answer for you? If not, too bad. I am here to celebrate my friend's triumph of the spirit, not to convince you of anything.

That's my honest opinion of your self proclaimed "conversion". I feel the only reason you ignored it, and called it a "hit-and-run", is because you don't have an honest rebuttal for it.

That wasn't the post I was referring to when I said that. In fact, the post I was referring to wasn't even directed to me. Go back and reread, if you would.

edit on 15-6-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

I think you did a great thing for your friend, you got him to look outside of his little box.

Now since his mind has started moving again, maybe it'll keep him moving even more in the right direction.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
reply to post by jiggerj

For my version of God, I have the entire universe as proof. You can't have much more proof than that.

I think it's even more ignorant to be religious than to be atheist, so there's that.

This is becoming quite a frustration for me. People have more definitions for the word 'god' than there are stars in the sky. Makes for a confusing chat when someone's talking about the biblical god and others are talking about a universal consciousness. Maybe we should post a disclaimer in each reply on exactly which god we're talking about.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

This is becoming quite a frustration for me. People have more definitions for the word 'god' than there are stars in the sky. Makes for a confusing chat when someone's talking about the biblical god and others are talking about a universal consciousness. Maybe we should post a disclaimer in each reply on exactly which god we're talking about.

Heh! That's why I keep asking: what is a god? By what parameters do we identify any being as a god or goddess?

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by BenReclused

I do prefer constructive posts over hit-and-runs though.

See ya,
Milt

Honestly, I've ignored your replies because your responses have been weak. They're just not worth discussing. Sorry.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Anything other than what you know to exist for certain is not God.

What's the one thing you know for an absolute certainty exists?

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Just want to say....people should stop using God as a crutch for their own failings we are human chuffing beings, we have the potential to be God!!.
Humanity FTW !!! whoop yipeee!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join