It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Converted A Catholic To Atheism

page: 39
<< 36  37  38    40  41  42 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Jesus, as the spirit of the living God is the very best part of who we really are, and he was God-sent so that we might have life to the full even to overflowing. "Liberated" in terms of being free to enter into the domain of limitless possibility which is where communion with God happens, in the holy of holies.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by wildtimes

AfterInfinity
Wild. Chill out. Explain. Imagine that Serdgiam is one of those kids you like to help and realize that his understanding is only as good as you help it to be. Getting angry never helps. Just take a deep breath and relax. He is a user on the internet and he has no power over your place in this reality. There's no need to be upset. Just help him understand and ignore him if need be.
edit on 20-6-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

Perfect! The NEW entry to the Babes of Roller Rink Derbyism Las Vegas Style. "The Atheists", Featuring accidental elbowing, EGO brusing, tripping each other up, falling all over themselves and causing unintentional black eyes. After the game, coach says "calm down children, it was just a game--but you forgot all about the OTHER team you were competiting against--The Copasetic Dragons".
edit on 20-6-2013 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by vethumanbeing

Perfect! The NEW entry to the Babes of the Roller Rink Derbyism "The Atheists", Featuring accidental elbowing, EGO brusing, tripping each other up, falling all over themselves and causing unintentional black eyes. After the game, coach says "calm down children, it was just a game--but you forgot all about the OTHER team you were competiting against--The Agnostics".

Is it a competition? I just play for fun.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

Jesus, as the spirit of the living God is the very best part of who we really are, and he was God-sent so that we might have life to the full even to overflowing. "Liberated" in terms of being free to enter into the domain of limitless possibility which is where communion with God happens, in the holy of holies.

Somehow, I feel as though such pretty words hide something empty and meaningless beneath them. Save your energy, good sir. I would hate for you to waste any more of your precious message.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Perfect! The NEW entry to the Babes of the Roller Rink Derbyism "The Atheists", Featuring accidental elbowing, EGO brusing, tripping each other up, falling all over themselves and causing unintentional black eyes. After the game, coach says "calm down children, it was just a game--but you forgot all about the OTHER team you were competiting against--The Agnostics".

Is it a competition? I just play for fun.

Funsterism does not work when Other souls are involved that take you seriously and at your word, 'a well defined and concrete belief system that you DEFEND' , I have seen no disclaimer regarding this George Carlin, "ITS JUST A JOKE".

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Who says I've borrowed my idea and not made my own? I think I have a somewhat unique view on God, meaning I've come to my own conclusion.

If something cannot come from nothing, then some aspect of this "something" has to eternal, no? Since the universe is full of energy and energy can neither be created nor destroyed, that means (in my opinion) that the universe itself is eternal.

What's that "other" thing that's considered eternal? Oh yeah, God.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Why is it that a God/s give or take away worth or value?

While some may use God as something to validate their own worth, or use the "lack of existence" of God/s to empower themselves, I do not see this as an intrinsic inevitability of whether or not a God exists.

It seems to me that self-empowerment and value is independent of whether or not a God exists simply because there are people from all sides who do not use it as that kind of validation.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Who says I've borrowed my idea and not made my own? I think I have a somewhat unique view on God, meaning I've come to my own conclusion.

If something cannot come from nothing, then some aspect of this "something" has to eternal, no? Since the universe is full of energy and energy can neither be created nor destroyed, that means (in my opinion) that the universe itself is eternal.

What's that "other" thing that's considered eternal? Oh yeah, God.

Well, it's not like you've exhausted all available possibilities and found "God" to be the only logical solution. The human brain is pretty small for all of that. Give it a few million years and see what else we come up with.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Funsterism does not work when Other souls are involved that take you seriously and at your word, a well defined and concrete belief system, I have seen no disclaimer regarding this George Carlin.

Then what's the point to having a soul? I want to enjoy my life. If I can't be myself with a god, then I have no god.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Serdgiam

Why is it that a God/s give or take away worth or value?

While some may use God as something to validate their own worth, or use the "lack of existence" of God/s to empower themselves, I do not see this as an intrinsic inevitability of whether or not a God exists.

It seems to me that self-empowerment and value is independent of whether or not a God exists simply because there are people from all sides who do not use it as that kind of validation.

Because that's what power is. The ability to ascribe or detract value. Otherwise, power is just as useful as fireworks. Looks cool, doesn't get much done besides cause pretty light shows.

And every time a god comes along, they demand respect, recognition, and obeisance. That's what a god does, right? Can't stand to just be friends. It's gotta be a committed relationship or it's straight to the abyss with ye.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Because that's what power is. The ability to ascribe or detract value. Otherwise, power is just as useful as fireworks. Looks cool, doesn't get much done besides cause pretty light shows.

Is that what power is universally, or just your concept of it?

And every time a god comes along, they demand respect, recognition, and obeisance. That's what a god does, right? Can't stand to just be friends. It's gotta be a committed relationship or it's straight to the abyss with ye.

I dont think so. Though, that is certainly what many humans have made it out to be, on all sides of the coin.

Like I said, I can honestly define "God" to either exist or not exist. Saying otherwise would be dishonest. However, I think that in either case, the core corruption of our cultural story gives way to a certain image of what such a being would demand or perceive. But, we cant even successfully do this with each other, imo. We essentially project our own failings in an attempt to confirm our bias. At least, that is what I have done previously.

Could it be that if God does exist, he does so outside of the confines of any attempt to define such a being? I think it would be inherently true..

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Beat me to this response InLight3D, I guess it now involves who is the biggest Bully on the Playground and how many players there are per side.

It's not much of a response. An argument out of ignorance and the need for something bigger in order to have a meaning. I give myself meaning. If you need a god to give you meaning, if you need to believe in a god to feel like you're worth something, then that's on you.

I'l take my chances. Why do you need a God to give yourself meaning? What do you mean? I dont require anything except a beating heart, I dont HAVE to think about it at all. I do not own any belief system, why can you not understand this. ITS A KNOWN, it does not have to be opened like a tuna fish can with a label: contents for human consumption and cats only 100% GOD ingredients. You think humans need to believe in a god to feel like they are worth something? If that is the case you must feel NOTHING NO regard for yourself, zip,zero. You give yourself meaning in what ways, you manipulate you gloat at others you have no compassion for them you in fact despise them for their obvious ignorance. Someone else posted this "Billions of people have believed in a God Concept over thousands of years, and they are ALL WRONG?' Where does you earthshattering new IDEA come from in that you are so outnumbered (JUST IN THE HISTORY OF GOD all faiths pagan as well ALONE).

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

And you have? No, your problem is that you simply refuse to even consider anything doing with God, no matter in what form it comes in. If it has God attached to it, you immediately discard it.

If you truly "exhausted all possibilities", then you would come to conclusion that there is no other possibility but the fact of there being a God, or "source" of some kind. You obviously aren't open-minded enough to see that. You are just as much stuck in your ways as any other religious person.

Even though you don't claim to be religious, you still let religion cloud your mind. I guess that's a win-win for them.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Serdgiam

Is that what power is universally, or just your concept of it?

What greater power can you imagine? Lemme guess, physical feats of glorious and inspiring strength? Maybe extravagant light shows to frighten the local peasants? Or perhaps defying the laws of nature in a stunning and befuddling display of mastery?

Because power is all about physicality. No, true power is about change.

Could it be that if God does exist, he does so outside of the confines of any attempt to define such a being? I think it would be inherently true..

If you cannot define it, how can you determine it? If you don't know what an ufrack is, how do you know where to look or if you've found it?

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

And you have? No, your problem is that you simply refuse to even consider anything doing with God, no matter in what form it comes in. If it has God attached to it, you immediately discard it.

If you truly "exhausted all possibilities", then you would come to conclusion that there is no other possibility but the fact of there being a God, or "source" of some kind. You obviously aren't open-minded enough to see that. You are just as much stuck in your ways as any other religious person.

Even though you don't claim to be religious, you still let religion cloud your mind. I guess that's a win-win for them.

Can you show me your conclusive study, complete with peer reviewed examinations and analysis by credited professionals? Because I'm very interested in seeing how all of your scientific investigations led you to such a questionable conclusion. Of course, if an intelligent ruling higher power is the only logical conclusion, I will unhappily accept it and continue my life as a rebel.

But that's only if you can conclusively prove that such a being is the only logical conclusion. Come on now, don't be shy. Keep talking that big game and accusing me of being closed-minded, because you obviously have the evidence necessary to make me shut my mouth, right? I'm the idiot here, the closed-minded buffoon, and you're the one with every reason to believe what you do. And you're clearly the intellectual type. You must have conclusive evidence hidden somewhere. Come on, I wanna see it.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Funsterism does not work when Other souls are involved that take you seriously and at your word, a well defined and concrete belief system, I have seen no disclaimer regarding this George Carlin.

Then what's the point to having a soul? I want to enjoy my life. If I can't be myself with a god, then I have no god.

So you have not bedded a God yet?

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Dunno what that has to do with anything, but it sounds off topic, so I'm gonna leave it alone.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Once you do the same and conclusively prove one doesn't exist, then I will be more than happy to do so.

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

What greater power can you imagine? Lemme guess, physical feats of glorious and inspiring strength? Maybe extravagant light shows to frighten the local peasants? Or perhaps defying the laws of nature in a stunning and befuddling display of mastery?

Because power is all about physicality. No, true power is about change.

Its not about what great power one can imagine, no matter what we can imagine, it will *always* be limited by the fact we are a small part of the universe. That was kind of my point...

Is power about change in every context imaginable, even if we are limited to the human context?

If you cannot define it, how can you determine it? If you don't know what an ufrack is, how do you know where to look or if you've found it?

Good questions, before I answer, how would you respond to those questions?

posted on Jun, 20 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

3NL1GHT3N3D1
Who says I've borrowed my idea and not made my own? I think I have a somewhat unique view on God, meaning I've come to my own conclusion. If something cannot come from nothing, then some aspect of this "something" has to eternal, no? Since the universe is full of energy and energy can neither be created nor destroyed, that means (in my opinion) that the universe itself is eternal. What's that "other" thing that's considered eternal? Oh yeah, God.

Let me tell you, coming to ones own conclusion without the benefit of 'church' or dominion is one (IF NOT) the hardest human enterprises to take on, to have Faith in something that reveals itself eventually if you care. The problem with many is they think this is supposed to be easy. YOU HAVE TO SEARCH for it, its a deeply personal quest. Those that want the immediate OF COURSE will not experence it as they havent bothered to look within themselves. Its not about scripture (for some it helps as guidance toward the goal of having a suggestion it exists). I am of the school of intellegent design; Geometry and the Geosciences (elements and how they combine) and within that there is/must be a Creator because its too PERFECT to not have the resounding quality of a PRIME Creator intellegence driving it. Then apply the animated clay aspect that becomes flora and fauna. Its riduculous to assume everything here is accidental and without PURPOSE. If I were an Atheist I would discount all of this and be the first to dive into the LaBrea Tar Pits (as I have said, to become part and parcel of Palolithic history; modern man bones would confuse the Anthropoligists and think Paramount Studios or Pixar, Warner Bros had something to do with it).

new topics

top topics

<< 36  37  38    40  41  42 >>

join