It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Converted A Catholic To Atheism

page: 33
<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Then you are one of the good guys (Never had a doubt) but when we are voting for people in positions of power and they are asking God whether they should invade a country or not you can see my point in that these people should have never been given that power, all it takes is a fundi christian/muslim etc to decide it is the end of days and we are all buggered.
I believe in humanity, I know we at heart are good but Religion can make a good man do very bad things.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

There are some things that simply cannot be stated, such as telling people you're going to throw a surprise party for them which of course renders that possibility impossible.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
What is it that I 'seem' to have already chosen? Truth? Evidence on the planet of the bloodshed and deprivation of billions? Finding a way to fix it NOW rather than waiting for some posthumous relief?

The path we need to pursue is PEACE.

The goal we need to be pursuing is, imo, rather obvious. That goal is peace.

What path will we take to get there? Will continuing to attack others and deride them in the same way they do to you change things?

You have defended the attacks and condescension you exude towards others as needed. Perhaps I do not understand, but how will this path of action lead to peace and not just a shift of power/means that are seeking to achieve the same goal of division?

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

They lie about being religious cause a religious one may not invade a country and kill the people thereof, let's say, just for fun. One does not ask God if they may invade a country to do that, God commands it or doesn't.

Their intent stems from FREE WILL.

Now I hate that, self righteoussed lie. Jees, I don't know how to make that latter clear.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Serdgiam

The goal we need to be pursuing is, imo, rather obvious. That goal is peace.

Yes, that's what I just said.

What path will we take to get there?

Education of all, and denial of superstitious beliefs that encourage war.

Will continuing to attack others and deride them in the same way they do to you change things?

Like I said: Asking nicely isn't working. Educating is impossible when people do the fingers-ears-lalala thing.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

And that's why people view religion as so messed up- because individuals twist it and bend it to fit their own interpretations and their own personal agendas. If a politician were to really ask God whether we should invade or drone strike another country I believe the answer would be a big, whopping NO! When the "J" man said you should love your neighbor as yourself I don't think he had invasion and bombs in mind!

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Angle

Same hate as you have for women and homosexuals eh? I saw that now deleted thread you authored, shame on you.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

Yes, that's what I just said.

No, it isnt.

Education of all, and denial of superstitious beliefs that encourage war.

Will this address the causes of war that have no superstition attached whatsoever? War over resources, greed, societal control, inducting fear... Is it possible that religion is just one way the human condition manifests, and that by addressing it solely, we completely miss the real problem?

Like I said: Asking nicely isn't working. Educating is impossible when people do the fingers-ears-lalala thing.

Perhaps those are the only two options you see available, but I have the feeling you are more creative than that. Its not just "insult or ask nicely."

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Madrusa

There are some things that simply cannot be stated, such as telling people you're going to throw a surprise party for them which of course renders that possibility impossible.

Ah. I see.

I see that you're not going to state your case. Well, since you say I was wrong in my guess, I hereby declare that in the post in which I "guessed" your position I was directing the remark not to the singular "you", but to the collective "you" -- as in 'you all' - or the generic 'you' - as in "a person." or 'you people' - which is never appropriate and always shuts people down.

I stand by my premise - people who want to hasten the "end" are dangerous.

edit on 19-6-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Homosexuality is all about free will, I choose to penetrate your rectum with my penis. When I love a friend I spend some quality time with him, sorry man.

The only reason I would hate them for is when they say they want to pound mine and when they choose to see me not for what I am.

edit on 19-6-2013 by Angle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Who says I am teaching?

By using a Teacher's "right" to justify YOUR actions, YOU DID!

You seem to be implying that I am wrong in some way.

I shall clarify that for you:
Bragging about one's own influence on another human being, IS WRONG! That only indicates that one is a "control freak"!

See ya,
Milt

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

Yes! YOUR influence was, indeed, "one sided". You only offered him "salvation", in return for a belief in YOUR dogma.

Nope. I explained to him how he could make his own salvation. His fate is his own to determine.

So what? Now he is "owned" by YOUR dogma. There, really, isn't much difference.

Actually, the point was for him to own himself. Did you even read my explanations?

Yeah! I reckon those "reasons" flew out of the window, when you started telling him what he WANTED to hear. Go figure...

Even more so than being told he's going to hell for being gay? Yeah, I'm such a bad person for encouraging him to break free that personal struggle.

You have definitely argued, and you may have defended, but you, MOST CERTAINLY, have NOT justified ANYTHING.

You haven't justified your stance in the matter either. You apparently believe my friend has made the transition from one cruddy approach to another cruddy approach, but I don't see how atheism is any worse than Catholicism, whereas he has explained himself how he is now free to be himself and choose for himself without being punished for making any mistakes along the way. He essentially is now free to approach his life and himself without fear of what he might find or encounter.

If you're not satisfied with that explanation, then I'm sorry but we'll have to agree to disagree. There's no point in butting heads for the sake of butting heads. There's plenty of other threads that cater to your way of thinking.

Many of us, already, know that you are NOT "inclined" to answer questions. I have asked you several pertinent questions, and all you have offered are insinuations, and insults.

What questions have you asked? Please, bring them forth so that we may resume our intellectual discussion.

No you didn't! You only created this thread to brag about converting someone to atheism.

When did you become psychic, and how can I learn too?

You have been FAR MORE hostile than I have been!

See ya,
Milt

Veiled hostility and contemptuous skepticism is still hostility and contempt. I have not seen any willingness from you to respect any difference in opinion. Littled16, Wildtimes, and Monkey have all been very respectful even when they didn't agree. That's all I ask.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

I think trying to shove any religion- Christianity, Islam, Judaism, etc.....even Atheism- is infringing on other's right to make up their own minds.

My friend could have walked away or told me to shut up at any point and I would have respected his wishes...so long as he extended the same courtesy to me. But as it turned out, my perspective appealed to him in some way. With obvious results.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

I shall clarify that for you:
Bragging about one's own influence on another human being, IS WRONG! That only indicates that one is a "control freak"!

See ya,
Milt

I will take pride in my positive influence on any human being, regardless of your opinion. K. Thx. Bye.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

War over resources, greed, societal control, inducting fear... Is it possible that religion is just one way the human condition manifests, and that by addressing it solely, we completely miss the real problem?

If you review my post history you will see that (it might even have been in this thread) I equate religion to greed.

We MUST make sure that everyone has enough to survive.
Here's a thread I made that clearly states my position. It's only a couple of pages - but it should leave no doubt in your mind what I believe and what I am fighting for.
Opinion: A Plea from an Exhausted [Human] Woman

Have a look. States my case very well. Watch the included video "World on Fire" as well, please.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I wasn't referring to you love. This is your thread and you have been defending your position. Nobody goes from one religious extreme to another just by having a discussion about such things with a friend, and such a change is never taken lightly or done quickly. And while you and I may disagree on the subject of religion I have never tried to shove my beliefs down your throat, and you have never tried to shove yours down mine.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
You know what? I'ma post it here, too: FOR SERDGIAM:

edit on 19-6-2013 by wildtimes because: to fix member's name. Sorry, Serdgiam.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

I agree but just read this thread, I have been called the devils apprentice why because I made a typo....and these people can vote!!.
Yes they can vote.

But maybe I was wrong about you and then I appologise.

Anyway I like your avatar.

Because avatars are the reflection of what we are in reality.

Actually avatars can read your soul,as the reflected image of your inner being.

The smile that I can see on your face,the kind look in your eyes with all that intelligence they have.

Oh and your fangs are so....,oh I cannot find my words,let's say abductional.

In that white suit it's such a mirific image.

Everything emanates love and joy and trust,and....life.

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Well i did hint that it was about a surprise birthday party, a highly dangerous collective cult of conspirators wearing party hats...?

posted on Jun, 19 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

I know you weren't. I'm grateful for your continual respect where so many seem to be hiding pitchforks and torches up their sleeves.

<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join