It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Converted A Catholic To Atheism

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Heathen!!!
You will burn you will burn Satan has a special place for people who turn!!!
Burn Burn Burn Burn Burn

Hehehheee

Good for you OP the more who turn from them the better

edit on 15-6-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   

As an atheist, I have never felt driven to convert people,
reply to post by AfterInfinity

First, good job!

Second: You can't convert people. People can only convert themselves. Either someone has the capacity to hear the logic, or they don't.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   

It's really not that uncommon for Catholic's to turn to atheism if they follow their religion in the manner that the Catholic church teaches them to they really don't believe in anything from the start and they generally never read scripture they have no christian based knowledge and are kept that way on purpose by the Catholic church becuase it keeps them more easily controlled and manipulated. This is what made the crusades possible.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

Can you prove that God does not exist?

I have more reason to believe a conscious ruling higher power does not exist, than I have to believe it does.

I would just ask you to consider you may have a change of heart.

I have read many of your posts. You are intelligent and respectful.

If I am proven wrong, I will admit it. This is more a concession than I have witnessed from many atheists I have met. Thank you for the respectful post.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by bluloa

You couldnt and wouldnt convert me!

I happen to think there is more to life than the crazy idea that everything was created out of a big bang that came from nothing!

It's interesting, actually, from my perspective. "...there is more to life..." You seem to be implying that just because this universe might have been a cosmic accident in an unending series of cosmic accidents, life cannot have meaning. Perhaps if we choose to utilize the higher functioning cognitive abilities we were born with, we could create our own meaning to life? Or at least, that of our own selves.

To me, creating your own meaning is much more powerful than having one served to you on a silver platter, as it allows far more possibilities and avenues of creation. You are unlimited when you create. You are limited when you borrow.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by neilarm
It's really not that uncommon for Catholic's to turn to atheism if they follow their religion in the manner that the Catholic church teaches them to

Read Jack Chick much? :shk: Got any credible statistics to back up that statement?

they really don't believe in anything from the start

Dead wrong. Catechism of the Catholic Church

and they generally never read scripture

Dead wrong. Catholics have 2 bible readings at every daily mass and 3 bible readings at Sunday mass, and the Catholic Church - which wrote the bible - encourages Catholics to read scripture for 1/2 an hour each day.

they have no christian based knowledge

Dead wrong. See the above link for more information.

and are kept that way on purpose by the Catholic church

Dead wrong. See the above link for more information

:shk:

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I can see easily converting someone away from an organized religion. Especially if that person is homosexual and the organized religion doesn't approve of their orientation. But I'm wondering how the person went from being Catholic to ... poof ... totally no God. I'm wondering if the person was confused and was thinking that organized religion is the only vehicle for God.

I honestly couldn't answer that as a fact. I'm under the impression that he never really bought into the whole deal to begin with, but had no idea where else to go. As such, I would hazard a suggestion that I liberated him in a sense. I helped him see that it was okay to let go of those things and move on with his own sense of purpose, rather than a borrowed meaning that inhibited his very self-respect as a human being.

I did that by showing him how the god recognized by the Catholics was a tool of inhibition and self-degradation out of fear of our imperfections.

Oh, here he is: "researching the dogma and the falsehood in their teachings in their church, the teachings that don't match the scriptures...through much research and study of other religions too. And how they act after they leave the church, their behavior contradicts their belief system."

Verbatim. He had a long time to do it. "Decades". This was just the capstone, I suppose.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

First, good job!

Second: You can't convert people. People can only convert themselves. Either someone has the capacity to hear the logic, or they don't.

I have already admitted the converting might have been a strong word, but it certainly applies...as a baseball bat might apply to swatting a fly.

I do understand your point.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

I have more reason to believe a conscious ruling higher power does not exist, than I have to believe it does.

Perfect!

If I am proven wrong, I will admit it. This is more a concession than I have witnessed from many atheists I have met. Thank you for the respectful post.

Are you sure? Atheism is based on the premise that there is, in fact, no evidence whatsoever to prove the existence of the spaghetti monster. If evidence existed then we'd all believe it.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

Here is my respectful question. Can you prove that God does not exist?

Please consider the return in respect when I ask, why do the religious consider this a valid challenge? Can we prove that there are no living bunnies that taste like chocolate, or that dragons don't have a lair filled with gold...?

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Are you sure? Atheism is based on the premise that there is, in fact, no evidence whatsoever to prove the existence of the spaghetti monster. If evidence existed then we'd all believe it.

Evidence that has not been found, nor do we have reason to believe that it will ever be found. And most Christians and Catholics and Protestants and the like do not need or want the evidence to be found...because that takes all the magic out, and without magic, the equation just doesn't work! Magic takes the place of logic! One or the other must be present to power the mechanics of rhetoric. Logic invites human exploration, magic invalidates it. As long as we don't need to look inside the machine, we're happy with crowding around the trough like the mindless piggies we're trained to be.

But enough of that. Atheism is the premise that there is no god. I'm satisfied with that. I don't need a conscious ruling higher power to give me purpose. I can give myself purpose, and I choose to give myself purpose because I have a much greater degree of creative flexibility that way. Nope, no borrowing meaning for me. And my friend feels the same way.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Atheism is based on the premise that there is, in fact, no evidence whatsoever to prove the existence of the spaghetti monster.

That PREMISE also has no valid evidence to support it! Therefore your "non belief" is based on nothing more than a convenient proposition.

See ya,
Milt

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

That PREMISE also has no valid evidence to support it! Therefore your "non belief" is based on nothing more than a convenient proposition.

See ya,
Milt

Are you here to be obstructive or instructive?

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Are you here to be obstructive or instructive?

Neither! I'm only here to participate. Agnostics are welcome, aren't they?

See ya,
Milt

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
To bad for him and you, the Remnant is Roman Catholic. The messages from Heaven, Protestant and Catholic
have been saying this for for fifteen years.

Actually, Jesus said it in 33 A.D. Addressing Peter, leader of the faith, the first Pope, "the Gates of Hell will not
overcome My Church."

Do not let the anti-Christ and his fella the False Prophet deceive you. Have hope, before the lies and the attempt
to abolish the most Holy Eucharist. God is going to personally show all the souls on the earth, the true faith
is Roman Catholicism.

AI, think about it, pray....ask Our Lord.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by colbe

Do not let the anti-Christ and his fella the False Prophet deceive you. Have hope, before the lies and the attempt
to abolish the most Holy Eucharist. God is going to personally show all the souls on the earth, the true faith
is Roman Catholicism.

AI, think about it, pray....ask Our Lord.

...Nope.jpeg
edit on 15-6-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

Neither! I'm only here to participate. Agnostics are welcome, aren't they?

See ya,
Milt

Very much so. I do prefer constructive posts over hit-and-runs though.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by colbe

...Nope.jpg

Brilliant reply, you're really convincing people.

Did you use to be Catholic? Were you baptize Roman Catholic?

I am asking, most fallen away Catholics are bitter about their choice. AI, if you knew the faith, you would
not of left it. You can come home, go make a good Confession.

It is truly everyone's desire. Jesus knows our nature.

love,

colbe

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Atheism is defined as lack of belief in any deity. That's as far as the term goes.

And that's where atheism falls apart. It's illogical to disbelieve in something you can't prove doesn't exist. Something that prides itself on logic collapses under it's own weight. You're not an atheist, because atheism by defination can't logically exist, and if there is no logical basis then what you have sir is a religion based in the negative. You're faith is literally in nothing. What a hopeless existence you have. The only real thing you could be is an agnostic and that is to say, you truly do not know if there is one or not and even the clown Richard Dawkins admitted he isn't 100% sure there is no God which then renders even him an agnostic.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

As an atheist, I have never felt driven to convert people,

First, good job!

No friend, It is by God's grace conversion happens. That is why He asks you to pray.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join